Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v Switched?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I read that too. Based on it saying that power is avail s when the screen is powered on, would imply that power isn't available when the screen is off. If this was the case, my V1 would power off when the screen goes off. That’s not happening. Any other thoughts?

Do you have Sentry on or other related setting that would turn the screen on.

Sorry for being a noob but I am trying to find a 12v signal to send to my amp’s remote wire. Rather than tap into the cigarette +ve wire at the harness (thick blue wire) can I not just tap the positive wire directly going into the cigarette lighter socket itself? ie. At the lighter end, rather than the harness end? Is there a difference?
i see your location is from Melb assuming your ride is from MIC M3. What exactly you want to do? just getting a switched 12V for your amp?

Sorry for being a noob but I am trying to find a 12v signal to send to my amp’s remote wire. Rather than tap into the cigarette +ve wire at the harness (thick blue wire) can I not just tap the positive wire directly going into the cigarette lighter socket itself? ie. At the lighter end, rather than the harness end? Is there a difference?
no difference tbh. goes back to how servicable you want your connections to be that's all. make sure you have inline fuse added as you don't want to short out anything else.

Reactions: Gokk
Thanks to the pioneers in this thread I can confirm that for '23 M3Ps there is a still a red wire in the passenger footwell that behaves like switched 12 volt! Hooked straight up to my radar detector (even inline fused) and works perfect. I got lucky and the first one I tested (of like 4 small red wires) was the right one!

Thanks again!

Ingineer said:
For those that want to tap the high-current 30A feed for the audio amp, it can be tapped in the trunk (right rear) look for the silver box, and the wire is a fat red (3mm).

Can someone confirm that a switched source for 12V can be obtained by tapping the thick red wire marked in this picture? I would like to tap it with an inline fuse to power a Stealth Hitch wiring kit. The standard instructions from Stealth Hitches route the wires to the 12V battery in the Frunk. Does not make any sense if there is this power source right next to where the passive module is to be installed. I understand that not all cars will have his amplifier installed. I have the premium sound option on my 2018 Model 3.

View attachment 827615
Installed Stealth hitch. This is an excellent source for 12V switched. Works like a charm. Thanks @Ingineer