Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 back in stock!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Number 3, don't stress. Choose the most convenient or economical 220-volt option that best meets your needs. If you have the money, by all means get the Wall Charger and install an adequate circuit. But don't necessarily worry about getting the fastest option. Charging at 32, 40, or 48 amps are all adequate, right?

I think most Tesla owners would agree. You go to sleep and get up with a full charge. The only time I might consider a wall charger, is if I owned more than one Tesla.

I think most Tesla owners would agree. You go to sleep and get up with a full charge. The only time I might consider a wall charger, is if I owned more than one Tesla.

Bingo. I was able to extend a 50A L14-50 plug from an existing 100A panel in my garage for only a few hundred bucks. When I eventually get a 2nd Tesla, I'll spring for the wall charger and the L14-50 plug will be relegated to occasional use by my air compressor or MIG welder. :)

Best,

When I got my 3SP, I decided that before spending on a more robust home system, I'd try the 6-20 plug already in the garage for a compressor (long gone). Got the adapter from Tesla and plugged her in. This gives 15 miles per hour of charge and has never failed to top up the car to 90% overnight. The most I've ever driven in a day (excluding road trips) is 150 miles and the 10 hour charging time 9pm to 7am takes care of that. So, for now, I'm totally happy with my home charging capability and will continue to use the 6-20 until I get another Tesla and need more capacity! Even then, I could probably do just fine charging them on alternate nights as most of the time, neither car would do more than 50-70 miles per day.

When I got my 3SP, I decided that before spending on a more robust home system, I'd try the 6-20 plug already in the garage for a compressor (long gone). Got the adapter from Tesla and plugged her in. This gives 15 miles per hour of charge and has never failed to top up the car to 90% overnight. The most I've ever driven in a day (excluding road trips) is 150 miles and the 10 hour charging time 9pm to 7am takes care of that. So, for now, I'm totally happy with my home charging capability and will continue to use the 6-20 until I get another Tesla and need more capacity! Even then, I could probably do just fine charging them on alternate nights as most of the time, neither car would do more than 50-70 miles per day.

If I was in a similar situation, I'd do exactly the same. Try the 6-20 and see how it works. For you, it worked out perfectly. Since I have no existing plugs anywhere outside my house, I figured I would put in the 14-50 and be done with it.

I have to imagine it's pretty rare for people that need to charge at more than 30 miles/hour at home. I certainly don't. At current gas prices (outside of the CA and Hawaii, of course), a home charger and install would eat up a good percentage of your projected gas savings over 5 years.
I did state if you have the money and want to charge at 48a. It is also nice because you can leave the mobile connector in the car and just grab the cord from the wall connector. But, it is everyone’s choice of course. We charge our X at 72a if we need a quick charge during the day (no time of use charge on our solar plan). There are some times we use it very heavily and our city is more then 100 miles across. People use their cars in different ways.

I did state if you have the money and want to charge at 48a. It is also nice because you can leave the mobile connector in the car and just grab the cord from the wall connector. But, it is everyone’s choice of course. We charge our X at 72a if we need a quick charge during the day (no time of use charge on our solar plan). There are some times we use it very heavily and our city is more then 100 miles across. People use their cars in different ways.

one last thought, having the headroom in elec panel
also dictates the prudent solution.

many, many older homes have little to spare,
in my case 50a breaker max’s my panel’s
capability, so 40a actual use (80%) and 6
gauge wire already in wall for unused dryer
plug, switched to NEMA 14-50 and earlier
extra connector UMC gen I or CMC deliver
35 mph charging rate.