Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 back in stock!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've recently acquired the model 3 and only charge it at the supercharger next to the apartment. I'm assuming the 14-50 adapter is used with the home charging set up, which I don't have. I did get a mobile charging kit.
What is the benefit of having the 14-50 adapter and can I only use it with the mobile kit for charging at home?
Sorry, the tesla rep didnt go over much when car was delivered

I am not an expert, and there is a LOT of discussion about charging options on this and other forums. That said:
  • Having a nearby supercharger is great. You are lucky. But I am unsure whether charging everyday on a supercharger is the best thing for the longevity of your battery? Maybe be sure to set your in-car software to only charge up to 80% (except when needing 100% for a long trip)? Let's hear from others about this.
  • A (Gen 2) NEMA 14-50 adapter ($35 at Tesla) is (now) an option to be used on the Gen 2 Mobile Connector (charging cable) that came with the car. (They used to be provided by Tesla. Now you have to buy one.)
  • It can be used on-the-road at places that have a corresponding NEMA 14-50 receptacle (e.g., RV parks, etc.).
  • But it can be most helpful for daily charging at home, but only if there is an available 240-volt NEMA 14-50 outlet. Outlets can usually be installed relatively easily, however that may not be possible if you live in an apartment.
  • NEMA 14-50 adapters are nice because they allow a car to easily and safely charge overnight at ~240 volts and up to 32 amps.
  • Earlier in the history of Models S and X, the 14-50 charging option was more important and the 14-50 adapter was automatically supplied with every car (since the alternative of using just 120 volt outlets took so long).
  • But with the creation of (Tesla) wall connectors, Tesla has really tried to steer buyers to that option.
Sounds like you may not need a 14-50 adapter, unless you are going to be traveling or unless your apartment complex has a 14-50 outlet?

• Love
Reactions: tamkhan
I've recently acquired the model 3 and only charge it at the supercharger next to the apartment. I'm assuming the 14-50 adapter is used with the home charging set up, which I don't have. I did get a mobile charging kit.
What is the benefit of having the 14-50 adapter and can I only use it with the mobile kit for charging at home?

For the most part if you don't have a 14-50 outlet at home to use and don't travel it likely wouldn't get used. The adapter would come in handy when traveling, and could use it at an RV park for example. Plugshare.com will also list charging locations and indicate the type of adapter used and sometimes you will find a 14-50 outlet in other locations. For example a friend of mine was needing a charge at the King of Prussia mall in Philadelphia and one of the shopping mall garages there had 3 NEMA 14-50 outlets available. And yes you would need to have your mobile charging kit with you in these situations (unlike a J-1772 L2 charging station like a ChargePoint that you might otherwise encounter with the J-1772 adapter).

A 14-50 outlet will give you a faster charge than let's say your typical home outlet or even a L2 J1772 outlet. What you get would depend on your car, some Model 3s are restricted to a maximum of 32A. The AWD versions of the Model 3, which includes the Performance variation, and the Model S and X (and I think the Model Ys) can take advantage of the 14-50/48A. An example of what you might have at home that would use a 240v line would be an electric oven. Some high powered power tools also use a 14-50 outlet.

I have an AWD Model 3 and so can charge at home with our 14-50 outlet using Tesla's 14-50 Corded Wall Connector which allows me to take advantage of a charge set beyond 32A. The Gen 2 14-50 adapters however are limited to the slower 32A.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tamkhan

Using the 14-50 adapter with the mobile kit is convenient way to charge at home without having to install a dedicated wall charger. A dedicated charger is the quickest option outside of a supercharger, but it costs more and installation can be more involved.

The 14-50 adapter only requires a receptacle that looks similar to what a typical clothes dryer uses, but with 4 blades. So it's simpler and less costly to install. It is middle of the road when comes the charging speed (~30 miles an hour), but is more than adequate and quite a bit faster than a regular 110 outlet. I'm having one installed at the outside of my house hopefully next week.

I'm lucky to have free charging at work, but having a home charger when feasible is a no-brainer.

Reactions: MXLRplus
Thank you guys! Makes sense. I've set the car to charge to 80% max. I let it run down to 20% before I charge it up again. New to the EV game so this charging thing will take some time getting used to.
Appreciate your responses!

Thanks for the heads up on this - just ordered one (my second). So, probably a silly question but I had a 240V/50amp outlet wired in a couple months back when I got a ‘20 X. I have a P3 coming shortly and will probably alternate charging the cars. I was thinking about having another 240V installed so I could avoid alternating but was just curious...has anyone run a 240V outlet splitter to charge 2 cars at once?

Thanks for the heads up on this - just ordered one (my second). So, probably a silly question but I had a 240V/50amp outlet wired in a couple months back when I got a ‘20 X. I have a P3 coming shortly and will probably alternate charging the cars. I was thinking about having another 240V installed so I could avoid alternating but was just curious...has anyone run a 240V outlet splitter to charge 2 cars at once?

With each car drawing (or trying to) at least 30 amps, it would overload the circuit and trip the breaker would be my guess. I wouldn't recommend that. Could be wrong though.

Reactions: TypeRx and TLLMRRJ
2 cars at once?

I agrre with john5520 for sure. But I think I read that two Tesla wall connectors on one circuit are possible (is that right?)--that they can coordinate and charge two (Tesla) cars at once, right? (It's a second Tesla, Model 3, that you are getting, correct?) I assume that you could turn both WCs down on their maximum amp ratings (e.g., to 32, 40, or 50 amps--or whatever is appropriate so that your existing wiring and breaker circuit will not be over-taxed). The manual for the Gen 3 wall connector can be downloaded here:
Installing a Wall Connector

I think that Gen 2 connectors can also be used for two cars, correct?

Reactions: TypeRx
I agrre with john5520 for sure. But I think I read that two Tesla wall connectors on one circuit are possible (is that right?)--that they can coordinate and charge two (Tesla) cars at once, right? (It's a second Tesla, Model 3, that you are getting, correct?) I assume that you could turn both WCs down on their maximum amp ratings (e.g., to 32, 40, or 50 amps--or whatever is appropriate so that your existing wiring and breaker circuit will not be over-taxed). The manual for the Gen 3 wall connector can be downloaded here:
Installing a Wall Connector

I think that Gen 2 connectors can also be used for two cars, correct?

Yes, adding a 2nd Tesla (model 3 + the X I already have). I don't have a Tesla wall connector, just the good 'ol 240V 15-50. I think it was a dumb question in the end...I need to just have a 2nd 240V outlet installed. For the 3 I'll go for a 60 amp since it can take advantage of higher amperage than my X.

Thanks guys!

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Yeah, I've been reading that 90% is the recommendation. In any case, I am unable to leave it plugged in since my residence does not have a wall charge.
The 20 - 80 battery use is reasonable, perhaps 20 - 70 since you are supercharging.

The 'plug in every day, charge to 90%' Tesla recommendation is meant to balance convenience with battery life. There is not doubt that lower maximum charges are better for battery life.

...corded mobile connector...
Since there are some newer folks in this thread, I thought it was time for a quick review.
  • All new Teslas come with a Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle. A NEMA 5-15 adapter is included, but this unit is designed to swap out a myriad of different adapters, with the NEMA 14-50 being (I presume) the most popular addition (it IS the topic of this thread). Charges at a maximum of 32 amps (with the correct adapter and circuit). As of this writing, it is in stock and costs $275.
  • There is also a Corded Mobile Connector. It looks very similar to the Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle, but has a fixed NEMA 1450 connector. It charges at a maximum of 40 amps (which doesn't do a Model 3 SR or SR+ any good since it is maxed at a 32 amp charge). As of this writing, it is NOT in stock and costs $520.
  • Of course, there is also the Wall Connector, which must be installed. It can charge up to 48 amps. As of this writing, it is NOT in stock and costs $500.
  • And of course there are Superchargers and 3rd party chargers (such as Electrify America and ChargePoint)

• Informative
Reactions: TypeRx and tps5352
Since there are some newer folks in this thread, I thought it was time for a quick review.
  • All new Teslas come with a Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle. A NEMA 5-15 adapter is included, but this unit is designed to swap out a myriad of different adapters, with the NEMA 14-50 being (I presume) the most popular addition (it IS the topic of this thread). Charges at a maximum of 32 amps (with the correct adapter and circuit). As of this writing, it is in stock and costs $275.
  • There is also a Corded Mobile Connector. It looks very similar to the Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle, but has a fixed NEMA 1450 connector. It charges at a maximum of 40 amps (which doesn't do a Model 3 SR or SR+ any good since it is maxed at a 32 amp charge). As of this writing, it is NOT in stock and costs $520.
  • Of course, there is also the Wall Connector, which must be installed. It can charge up to 48 amps. As of this writing, it is NOT in stock and costs $500.
  • And of course there are Superchargers and 3rd party chargers (such as Electrify America and ChargePoint)

Thanks for this. I thought if I had a larger breaker (and appropriate wiring, of course) I would be able to get up to 48 amp charging with just a 240V/60A outlet and the Gen 2 mobile connector with a 14-50 adapter. Based on the above, that won't work. So, I might as well just get another 240V/50A rather than having my electrician running thicker wire to support the larger breaker. Right?

Thanks for this. I thought if I had a larger breaker (and appropriate wiring, of course) I would be able to get up to 48 amp charging with just a 240V/60A outlet and the Gen 2 mobile connector with a 14-50 adapter. Based on the above, that won't work. So, I might as well just get another 240V/50A rather than having my electrician running thicker wire to support the larger breaker. Right?

50A breaker for a nema 14-50 outlet and you can charge up to 40A but your mobile connector will still only go up to 32a. You can charge the car up to 48A if you get a wall connector. Really nice to have if you have the money and charge at home most of the time.

Well, it depends...

The Model 3 SR & SR+ have a MAXIMUM charging capability of 32 amps. So if you have one of those, and your X doesn't require more, then there is no need for anything more than a 40 amp circuit. If you are getting a LR or Performance, the car can charge up to 48 amps, BUT the Gen 2 Mobile Connector is still limited to 32 amps. To get the full 48 amp charging at home, you will need to install the Wall Connector to a 60 amp circuit.

• Helpful
Reactions: TypeRx and tps5352
50A breaker for a nema 14-50 outlet and you can charge up to 40A but your mobile connector will still only go up to 32a. You can charge the car up to 48A if you get a wall connector. Really nice to have if you have the money and charge at home most of the time.

I have to imagine it's pretty rare for people that need to charge at more than 30 miles/hour at home. I certainly don't. At current gas prices (outside of the CA and Hawaii, of course), a home charger and install would eat up a good percentage of your projected gas savings over 5 years.

The whole issue of choice of home-charging options (available in the USA) is seemingly complicated by multiple factors, including:
  • Whether you own or rent.
  • Age of the home.
  • Total amperage load available to the house.
  • Physical and electric spaces available for new circuit(s) to be added in the breaker box.
  • Presence/absence of existing 220-volt outlets.
  • The state/condition of existing house wiring.
  • How easy it is to install an adequate course of #6 or heavier gauge wire.
  • Relative proximities of (a) where the car(s) are parked to (b) charge-connector location(s), and/or to (c) the breaker box location.
  • How many and what makes/models of electric cars will routinely be charged.
  • Availability of off-site charging (superchargers, charging at work, etc.).
  • The specific model-year(s) (and the maximum rates of their internal chargers) of the Tesla car(s) to be charged.
  • The available installation budget.
  • Whether home-owner is do-it-yourself type or will hire a contractor.
  • Whether charging will be outdoors or in a garage.
  • Local code requirements.
And other factors I've probably overlooked.

That said, one way to cut through the confusion is to recognize:
  1. The first major decision is whether to charge at home or not. Luckily, this is probably a no-brainer. I assume that most Tesla owners will charge at home. Granted, a few lucky ones will have (attractive) charging options at work or nearby superchargers. But most won't. So Number 1, choose to charge at home.
  2. The second important home-charging decision is whether to charge at 120-volts (using the cable supplied) or whether to purchase optional equipment to charge at 240-volts. Again, simple. Most Tesla drivers will benefit from using an existing or new 220-volt circuit because let's face it; 120-volt charging just takes too long. Number 2, use 240 volts.
  3. At this point should come a simplifying realization: If you choose to charge at home, it arguably does not matter that much which popular 240-volt option you use. What I mean is this:

None of the home-charging options--Wall Charger or the various NEMA receptacles--are going to achieve supercharger charging rates. You are probably always talking about overnight charging, correct?--no matter which one you select. Some are faster; some are slower (but still adequate to fully charge your car overnight). Some are more expensive; some cheaper. Some are more convenient. Some offer greater advantages, features, or perks. But a "full" (80% to 100%) charge is still going to require several hours, while you're asleep. So Number 3, don't stress. Choose the most convenient or economical 220-volt option that best meets your needs. If you have the money, by all means get the Wall Charger and install an adequate circuit. But don't necessarily worry about getting the fastest option. Charging at 32, 40, or 48 amps are all adequate, right?