Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 install estimate price check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't include the permit. OP indicated there is $88 in "profit" added in...and someone else pointed out that it looks like they charged for the breaker twice.

I would expect the installer to buy in bulk so he shouldn't be charging retail prices for materials and throwing in an extra $88 in "overhead/profit".

#6 wire isn't something a one-man operation would be buying in bulk. Larger contractor might.

In SF prices for all the trades are high because of the cost of housing.

Your price seems pretty reasonable. It is a long run from one side of the garage to the other. Would be a prudent thing to get it permitted. I'd go ahead with it, but check that your plug is high quality.

The electrician I’m using sent me an estimate yesterday of $750 ($350 labor / $420 materials). Does that sound about right for SF Bay Area? He’ll be adding a 50 amp breaker to my current panel and will be installing inside garage on the opposite side of where panel is.

In the picture the blue box is the circuit breaker panel and the green box will be the outlet.
Very reasonable given the cost of the length of copper cable across the garage.

Reactions: Leeclanual
I paid over $900 here in Hawaii and had a new 50 amp breaker and about twenty feet of 6 gauge wire and 14-50 installed.

Wow! I just checked 25 ft. of 6 gauge wire is $75 and a 50 Amp breaker is $10 in Homedepot. My installation of 14-50 in garage was $225, which I guess was labor, mainly. I think the key to low price was to pass on inspection (I am not selling my house yet). The inspection alone could cost about $400. And that is in Oklahoma.

Wow! I just checked 25 ft. of 6 gauge wire is $75 and a 50 Amp breaker is $10 in Homedepot. My installation of 14-50 in garage was $225, which I guess was labor, mainly. I think the key to low price was to pass on inspection (I am not selling my house yet). The inspection alone could cost about $400. And that is in Oklahoma.

most times the permits are 50-60 bucks but the electrician has to spend time to get the permit.

Just tell him that you'll buy all materials. Tell him to give you the list and go from there. Deal with him on a labor basis if you're that worried about materials. Or just do it yourself.

i would charge the same price. it’s a head ache when helpy homeowner wants to provide all the material to save a penny.

$475 minimum for a 50 amp circuit here,