Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 outlet in 100 amp panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently have 1 electric stove, 1 dryer, AC unit and 1 gas stove. I am Planning to put the gas stove outlet on 110V and use that 40A breaker for the 14-50 outlet in garage.

Will that work without tripping the breakers? Will I be able to simultaneously use electric stove, gas stove, Ev charger and the AC unit?

Please see the image of my panel

Attachments

• 0EDB21A4-F687-46AE-AC51-99BC7B345902.jpeg
    0EDB21A4-F687-46AE-AC51-99BC7B345902.jpeg
    609.9 KB · Views: 262
  • 2F69F5EA-DF86-4718-94F1-3D61C2C75870.jpeg
    2F69F5EA-DF86-4718-94F1-3D61C2C75870.jpeg
    551.4 KB · Views: 186
Reactions: bolero
...multaneously...
I don't think the gas stove takes much energy so I would not worry about it.

On the other hand, your left side of your picture shows

40: Stove
30: Dryer
20:AC

Your right side has an unlabeled 40A.

Total so far is 120A.

If you add another 50A then you should need upgrade to 200A panel.

Otherwise, don't run other stuff when you charge which is achievable when you sleep at night.

---
Your nema 14-50 should not be installed in 40A circuit. Should be 50A breaker instead.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3

Use this load calculator to determine your min. panel needs, I'm just guessing here as you are in Canada but should be similar.
I would be surprised if you were not past limit now, without knowing the unlabeled loads its hard to say?

it's not as easy as adding up the breaker sizes, there is a formula, also not sure what the service entrance cable is rated for but if its a No#1 in conduit or a 1/0 NMB then you could change out the main breaker to a 125A as your panel is 125A rated

Last edited:
You are in a grey area. It can work IF you plan. That said a 50 amp outlet should be on a 50 amp wire and breaker. Then running it at say 20 amps is perfectly fine and good. But if other loads are off and you want to run full you can. Personally I would add a NEMA 14-50 but set the charge to 20 amps. So you never trip. On the few cases you need to charge faster you can overdue. Just make sure you are not drying at the same time.

Currently have 1 electric stove, 1 dryer, AC unit and 1 gas stove. I am Planning to put the gas stove outlet on 110V and use that 40A breaker for the 14-50 outlet in garage.

Will that work without tripping the breakers? Will I be able to simultaneously use electric stove, gas stove, Ev charger and the AC unit?

another option if your dryer is near where your ev park maybe you can use a smart splitter for your dryer. you can get atleast 24A.

Reactions: Vawlkus and brulaz
Most people think that they need the fastest charging option available and after owning and charging for a while you realize you can get by with a much slower charging rate, 24A level 2 charging will be fine for 99.9% of the people out there as you still need to sleep. I have a 40A capable HPWC as I opted to come of of a sub panel in my home for ease of the install, I almost always set to 20A in the car.

You'll be fine. I have all the same appliances you have plus a hot tub and never had any issues.

I deliberately tried to trip my main breaker prior to installing my 14-50, by running everything (preheating oven, wet clothes in dryer, hot tub heating, dishwasher, lights, computers, TVs, etc) except the AC (too cold) and managed to see peaks of 79.7A/84.5A on my feeder wires. In real life, it would be rare to be running all those things at once and once up to temp, everything is running on duty cycles, not constantly. My new hot tub also allows me to set when it runs, so I block out 5-8pm and 6:30-9am, if only to be kind to the grid operators.

That being said, I have my car set to start charging at 11pm, and normally charge at <20A, just to avoid any issues. Lower amps and night temps probably prolongs the life of the outlet and UMC as an added bonus.

We have 2 EV's with 125A main panel. The Tesla is set to 32A and the EV6 at 16A (I have a 60A sub panel in the garage). We only did this because the car previous to the EV6 was the PHEV and we already had the charger. I was planning on getting two load balancing chargers for both EV's but after using the existing chargers we found 16A was plenty for the EV6. In the event of need for faster charging I could use the Tesla tap with the the Tesla charger to charge the EV6. We have never needed to do this. We have a gas water heater and stove and furnace. My 14-50 EV charging plug is on a 40A breaker and is marked as 40A max.

Reactions: KJD
I’m in Ontario with a similar setup. 100A panel with external fusing. (80 years old) The electrician and subsequent inspector required that I download the previous 12 months of hourly usage for review.

In the end I replaced the breaker with 40A and labelled it “40A breaker, 32A maximum”.

Finally I set the car to 24A and schedule for the wee hours.

Last edited:

How many kms do you drive on an average day?

A NEMA 5-20 outlet (on a dedicated 20A 120v breaker with 16amps max) will give you ~1.7 kw/hr into the battery.

A NEMA 6-20 outlet (on a dedicated 20A 240v breaker with 16amps max) will give you ~3.5 kw/hr into the battery.