Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 Winter Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Got my 14-50 charging setup installed today, with a 40amp breaker (read this is OK since the draw is only 32 amps anyhow.

I am getting only 15 mph of charge rate, which seems really low, any thoughts?

It’s about 30F here today. Got plugged in and saw my charge rate was only a 15 mph. That was a cold car with 250 miles of range left. I ran around town with the heat on high, messing around draining the battery, got home and plugged in a warm car, theoretically warm battery, and 200 miles of range, plugged it in and still only 15 mph.

I am worried that something is wrong with the parts, the install or the car.

Thanks !

240 v, and 16/32 amps.

Is there a plus button you can turn up to the full 32 amps on that charging screen? Or is it limiting you to 16 amps?

Did it display any errors when you connected it?

Either it is manually turned down to 16 amps, OR something may be wrong with your onboard charger or latch mechanism of the charge port.

What model of car do you have btw? (Need to know this to understand if you have two 16a charge modules or three 16a charge modules - if you only have two and one is broken that could explain it)

If your charge port latch is broken it will also limit you to 16 amps charging rate.

Hit the charging/lightning bolt button on the screen while the car is plugged in. I bet you need to hit the + button where it currently says “16amps”. Tap that button until it maxes out, which should be 32 amps.

Did you install this breaker and plug or was it an electrician?

Attachments

• CB7A8092-3D1D-412C-A294-E2E78D63CA45.jpeg
    CB7A8092-3D1D-412C-A294-E2E78D63CA45.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Hit the charging/lightning bolt button on the screen while the car is plugged in. I bet you need to hit the + button where it currently says “16amps”. Tap that button until it maxes out, which should be 32 amps.

Did you install this breaker and plug or was it an electrician?
I will check this when I get back home shortly. Out for drinks right now with my father in law who did the install. He retired as a project super for Pepsi, building big production facilities, but started his career as an electrical engineer.

I will check this when I get back home shortly. Out for drinks right now with my father in law who did the install. He retired as a project super for Pepsi, building big production facilities, but started his career as an electrical engineer.

So as far as Father-in-laws go... trust but verify. Hopefully it’s just tapping up the amps and you’re good to go. Sometimes the software updates “reset” the amps to 16, not everyone has it happen but some do. Good luck!

Here are some pictures. Software setup doesn’t seem to be an issue?

I will add that:

1. this is a brand new car, less than 2 weeks old
2. The charge port does feel “loose” and that there’s a lot of clicking when I plug in and it never quite seems secure when I let go of the cable and walk away
3. I have had to supercharge a couple times, and that’s never been a problem charging at 200+ mph.

many insights based on that?

Attachments

• DA0F5DF0-8592-4F6A-8F20-E28EE6A663AF.jpeg
    DA0F5DF0-8592-4F6A-8F20-E28EE6A663AF.jpeg
    280.5 KB · Views: 87
  • A2C1A80E-17A3-4303-9525-27FB7E694C3F.png
    A2C1A80E-17A3-4303-9525-27FB7E694C3F.png
    774.9 KB · Views: 89
The cable should have some wiggle but not super loose. I don’t think the install was done properly but I’m not an electrician so I hired it out. Being a new car shouldn’t mean anything btw, it should pull a full load if you tell it to (32amps).

You can try a full reboot, press both steering buttons and the brake until the screen turns off then it shows the Tesla “T”. See if that works.

Are there any warnings or anything saying something is wrong with the car?

I totally missed that you’re right. It might be pretty damn cold where he’s at then. Never see that.

Interesting, I've not seen that either. When I charge outside at work on a 120v 20 amp circuit it will often drop from 16 amp to 12 amp when the temperature is close to zero degrees f but I've never had the app mention temperature. And that's as of yesterday with the latest software.

The cable should have some wiggle but not super loose. I don’t think the install was done properly but I’m not an electrician so I hired it out. Being a new car shouldn’t mean anything btw, it should pull a full load if you tell it to (32amps).

You can try a full reboot, press both steering buttons and the brake until the screen turns off then it shows the Tesla “T”. See if that works.

Are there any warnings or anything saying something is wrong with the car?
No warnings. I will try this. I mention that it’s brand new only to point out the newest hardware and software configuration

Interesting, I've not seen that either. When I charge outside at work on a 120v 20 amp circuit it will often drop from 16 amp to 12 amp when the temperature is close to zero degrees f but I've never had the app mention temperature. And that's as of yesterday with the latest software.

My starting doing that this winter with any temperatures below 38F or so. I'm in an unheated garage so as soon as the battery pack cold soaks I'll get this message.

If the pack is seriously cold soaked it can take 15 minutes to a half hour pulling 12 to 16 amps to warm the pack up enough to take any kind of charge.

• Informative
Reactions: Matsayz and PACEMD