Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1450R outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called tesla about my home connection and explained to them over the phone what kind of outlet I have and they said that allegedly I need a 1450r adapter but when contacting my local service center they stated that they didn't see any on the tesla website. I sent them a picture and the response was to have my Electrition look at it. Here is a picture does anyone know of the correct adapted for this outlet!!? Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 138
It is a NEMA 6-50 which Tesla no longer offers a UMC connector for (there are some kicking around though). However, you MUST MUST have an electrician inspect said branch circuit before attempting to charge on this device to insure proper wire gauge, proper torque on connections, and safe over-current protection with a proper breaker.

WARNING: 6-50's AND 14-50's are NOTT always what they appear to be as they can be wired in configurations that are to code but not ALWAYS suitable for safe charging.

btw, it looks a little "shady" in that it is missing a cover plate screw, mis-matched color screw, and I think (but others will chime in to state correctly) a 6-50 requires a 2-gang box?

Last edited:
btw, it looks a little "shady" in that it is missing a cover plate screw, mis-matched color screw, and I think (but others will chime in to state correctly) a 6-50 requires a 2-gang box?

A single-gang box will not permit a 50-amp receptacle for 14-50 with Romex but is sufficient for other configurations.

314.16(B) dictates box fill requirements. A single-gang box (shallow, 1 3/4") allows 18 cu in., and a deep single-gang allows 24 cu in.

Each conductor has a specific volume requirement - #6 needs 5 cu in., #8 requires 3 cu in., #10 requires 2.5 cu in. - includes grounding conductor
Receptacles count for 2 conductors each at the maximum conductor size attached.
Cable clamps for wire entry count as one if the clamp is inside the box (vs. outside, which doesn't count).
Loops in the conductors to permit pulling the receptacle out can count as another one, depending on how much wire was left.

For a 14-50 receptacle with 50A circuit, NM/Romex (#6 required):
3 x #6 + 1 x #10 = 17.5 cu in conductor volume req (2 hot + neutral + ground)
2 x #6 = 10.0 cu in receptacle volume req
27.5 cu in required (single gang doesn't work)

For a 14-50 receptacle with 50A circuit, wire-in-conduit (#8):
3 x #8 + 1 x #10 = 11.5 cu in conductor (2 hot + neutral + ground)
2 x #8 = 6 cu in receptacle volume
17.5 cu in volume, shallow single gang works provided no clamps required

For a 6-50 receptacle with 50A circuit, NM/Romex (#6 required):
2 x #6 + 1 x #10 = 12.5 cu in conductor (2 hot + ground)
2 x #6 = 10.0 cu in receptacle volume req
22.5 cu in required (deep single gang only will work, provided that no clamps inside the box are required)

6-50 will obviously work with 50A circuit, #8, one less wire.

(and yes, please get good cover screws on that cover! That single screw is a countersunk cover screw, the 6-50 and 14-50 requires pan-head)

Last edited:
WOW thank you so much for the feedback inherently more then I would have fathomed seriously just coming straight to the forums for my questions from now on. Some of you guys should really be on the payroll lol. I am having my Electrition come out today and inspect the outlet as well as sharing the information with him that you guys have posted. Thanks so much again! Truly a blessing!

No problem - although one other comment: Your best bet is to ask if you could get a neutral pulled into that box and have the receptacle converted to a 14-50. However, that looks like a 1/2" conduit, and the extra conductor (#8) would require a 3/4" conduit, so you'd be replacing the conduit.

If you can find a Tesla 6-50 adapter for sale somewhere (eBay, service centers, etc.) you could charge directly from that receptacle.

If it's close enough to re-work the conduit, I'd recommend that if you can't find the adapter.