Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

15 Meter Charging cable - 11kw vs 22kw

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I need to buy a fairly long (15 meter) charging cable for my Model Y. Due to the lenght of the cable, I am afraid I will experience a high amount of charging loss (sorry not sure if its the right word), that is pure electricity lost due to the long cable lenght. I heard from someone, that buying a 22kw cable will result in a lesser amount of lost energy, compared to buying a 11kw, which would be the natural choice.

Does anyone know if I should expect a significant amount of charging loss due to the cable length? and would it be a good idea to upgrade the cable thickness (11kw-->22kw) to reduce this loss?
The 22kw does cost quite a bit more than a 11kw.

Thanks

We’re in the same boat. We’ve just purchased a Model 3 in Sydney, and it will be charging on our driveway, which is quite far from the house.
Wondering if a 15m cable will cause any problems with charging speed or efficiency. Also wondering where to buy a 22kW Type 2 cable 15 metres in length in Australia!
Keen to hear from anyone who can help me and the original poster.
Cheers!
Mike

I need to buy a fairly long (15 meter) charging cable for my Model Y.
I heard from someone, that buying a 22kw cable will result in a lesser amount of lost energy

We’re in the same boat
You mean 15m from the Wall Charger using an extension cable?

A cable rated for higher kW can cary more current without a significant voltage drop. So a 22kW rated cable will have less voltage drop than a 11kW rated cable - and therefore less lost energy
Also make sure that the electrician does not skimp on cable between the Wall Charger and the Circuit board.

I am 35metres between main circuit board and the wall charger. Ive specified 10mm cable in the installation contract. And I am using 3 phase.

I calculate a voltage drop on a 15m, 11kw rated copper cable (16mm?) at ~2V. Actually a bit less than 2V, especially with 3 phase. So less than 0.1kW at 48A charging. 230V mains, right?
You dont know what the cable size is even though they say 11kw rated. Im almost certain it is not 16mm²
But assuming the Power factor is 0.9 and a cable size of 16mm², the voltage drop will be 2V depending on wire impedance

Im thinking the cable size probably 6mm² so the voltage drop is 5.5V
My electrician quoted 6mm² for a 35m cable run 3 phase from circuit board to Wall charger. but i got him to upgrade to 10mm²

You dont know what the cable size is even though they say 11kw rated. Im almost certain it is not 16mm²
But assuming the Power factor is 0.9 and a cable size of 16mm², the voltage drop will be 2V depending on wire impedance

Im thinking the cable size probably 6mm² so the voltage drop is 5.5V
My electrician quoted 6mm² for a 35m cable run 3 phase from circuit board to Wall charger. but i got him to upgrade to 10mm²

Sure, pick whatever size you want; the math is straightforward. The cable size wasn’t specified in the original question. I assumed an imperial size of 6awg in my calc and used the question mark to highlight my uncertainty around European wiring selection standards.

Reactions: Quickst