Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

15 used Model X's under $50K now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my 2017 Model X 100D HW 2.0, as scheduled, in Cincinnati (Blue Ash) on Saturday. Easy peasy delivery and trade in process due to COVID. I couldn’t be happier with the car. As an added and unexpected bonus, the unbeatable service team at Blue Ash, without any prompt from me, installed the HW3 computer the day before! The car is in nearly perfect condition (some minor scratches on interior trim pieces in the rear cargo area) and it drives sooooooo smoothly. On the 100 mile drive home, I was amazed how much quieter it is, compared to the 3, and how comfortable the seats are (I’ve got the premium white seats). Another super cool thing: this car is a 4/17 build so I was expecting the backs of the seats to be the glossy plastic finish. They are not; they are the newer matte finish, which is what I really wanted anyway. Because the pictures on the used inventory listing for this car were so bad, I couldn’t see any real details about the car, really. Luckily, everything was better than expected. It charges to a range of 285 miles, which is better than my friend’s 2018 100D. I extremely happy about that. And I was also pleased with the 320 wh/mi I got on my ride home. And now, the journey begins...

Congratz! Take pics when you can :)

Can someone explain to me what is MCU1 and HW3? I'm a newb to Tesla world.
I’ll do my best to explain (but it won’t be very technical). MCU (or Media Control Unit) 1 was the big portrait mode screen on Model S and Model X vehicles built before Spring 2018. The graphics card and stuff (told ya I wasn’t very technical) is older tech that won’t support videos or higher rendering graphics. HW3 is the newest computer installed on Tesla vehicles built after April 2019. This is the computer that will allow Full Self Driving functions. There is HW1, HW2.0, HW2.5, and HW3. My Model 3, built 4/18, had HW2.5. My Model X, built 4/17, has 2.0. I’ve now had the HW3 install done twice. Takes 3-6 hours for the installation. The HW3 upgrade is free to anyone who has 2.0 or 2.5 and has purchased FSD (or, in my case; a car with FSD installed). The MCU swap is $2500. Hope this helps. Maybe someone can chime in with something I may have missed.

Reactions: docboy
If you are getting a out of warranty X it is important to understand MCU1's will fail, and there is proven 3rd party repair, and best done as preventive. This is something all S/X owners should be aware of once they are out of warranty. Preventive upgrade is much safer and cheaper.

Vendor - Blacked Center Screen Repair (Failed MCU)

I believe a friend of mine has a X and he had his nav screen replaced 2-3 times. Is the replacement due to the faulty design of the MCU1 unit? If so, can you share link to the 3rd party repair? How much is the repair? Is the repair a replacement of a faulty part?

I believe a friend of mine has a X and he had his nav screen replaced 2-3 times. Is the replacement due to the faulty design of the MCU1 unit? If so, can you share link to the 3rd party repair? How much is the repair? Is the repair a replacement of a faulty part?

Generally MCU is replaced for that reason. Sometimes I've heard it it also being replaced for leaking screens. I have also seen instances where the leaking goo gets into the mcu electronics and shorts things out, which would also need a replacement.

Our current price is $500 + shipping for the upgrade to a 32 gig Swissbit chip running in 16 gig high endurance mode, with a 5 working day turn around. The chip just gets worn out over time, some fail sooner than others. Our upgrade is designed to last about 28-100+ years.

Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

Picked up my 2017 Model X 100D HW 2.0, as scheduled, in Cincinnati (Blue Ash) on Saturday. Easy peasy delivery and trade in process due to COVID. I couldn’t be happier with the car. As an added and unexpected bonus, the unbeatable service team at Blue Ash, without any prompt from me, installed the HW3 computer the day before! The car is in nearly perfect condition (some minor scratches on interior trim pieces in the rear cargo area) and it drives sooooooo smoothly. On the 100 mile drive home, I was amazed how much quieter it is, compared to the 3, and how comfortable the seats are (I’ve got the premium white seats). Another super cool thing: this car is a 4/17 build so I was expecting the backs of the seats to be the glossy plastic finish. They are not; they are the newer matte finish, which is what I really wanted anyway. Because the pictures on the used inventory listing for this car were so bad, I couldn’t see any real details about the car, really. Luckily, everything was better than expected. It charges to a range of 285 miles, which is better than my friend’s 2018 100D. I extremely happy about that. And I was also pleased with the 320 wh/mi I got on my ride home. And now, the journey begins...

Did not know matte finish on the back of the seats were done in 2017, interesting. I am still waiting for mine, being shipped from CA to NJ

So the MVPA show up on ours which usually means it’s at the delivery center. Looked to be in good condition overall except for the usual culprits like gooey FWD outer seals, a couple of small scuffs on the rear wheels and excessively worn front tires.

Will call on them to address these items (tires are arguably borderline but the least they could do is throw a fresher set on), wheels did not show any scuffs in the pictures either as well as pushing for the HW3 upgrade before we actually take delivery.

Just following up on this now that I'm back living in the US and heavily weighing a decision between buying a Model X (to meet that small use case for our family of 4 having visitor(s) in town and using the full seating of 6 and the convenicneces of falcon wing doors with young children VS. getting a brand new Model Y.

Where are the deals? I consistently scan EVCPO and just not seeing anything. Is Tesla intentionally trying to drive (pun :p) people towards the Model Y?

I like the new tech and range of the Y, but I like the overall packaging of the X (I made this choice about 2 years ago when I bought a Used S vs. New 3... subsequently sold the S as a result of an overseas employment gig).

Thoughts? Is it time to just give up? I thought there would be good deals towards end of quarter, but nothing even remotely close to the May 2020 COVID blow-out deals, and now with lack of pictures (unless the backdoor link that EVCPO has listed for pictures works).

Just following up on this now that I'm back living in the US and heavily weighing a decision between buying a Model X (to meet that small use case for our family of 4 having visitor(s) in town and using the full seating of 6 and the convenicneces of falcon wing doors with young children VS. getting a brand new Model Y.

Where are the deals? I consistently scan EVCPO and just not seeing anything. Is Tesla intentionally trying to drive (pun :p) people towards the Model Y?

I like the new tech and range of the Y, but I like the overall packaging of the X (I made this choice about 2 years ago when I bought a Used S vs. New 3... subsequently sold the S as a result of an overseas employment gig).

Thoughts? Is it time to just give up? I thought there would be good deals towards end of quarter, but nothing even remotely close to the May 2020 COVID blow-out deals, and now with lack of pictures (unless the backdoor link that EVCPO has listed for pictures works).

It’s not just a Tesla thing. There is less used car inventory right now and prices are up. Looks like April/May was the bottom of the price curve.

Used cars make their biggest price jump in a half-century

Consumer prices up 0.4% in August as used car prices surge