Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18” wheels on Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shame you have to import them from the US and with the £ plummeting against the $ then they got more expensive.
I would like to get something like them with all season tyres though...£3000 experiment to see how much more range? Mmm

If you’re looking to add a bit more range....

To me, on the MSM they don’t even look that small, not sure if they look as good on a white car

Not very scientific with just one run and different tyres which would have a massive impact on efficiency.
Imagine the 18" stock wheels with aero caps would be even better!

Shame you have to import them from the US and with the £ plummeting against the $ then they got more expensive.
I would like to get something like them with all season tyres though...£3000 experiment to see how much more range? Mmm
Gavin Wallace from the Facebook Tesla owners forum has supplied spin forged 18s to a lot of us. Also pre-configured TPMS. Really good, nice efficiency gain and smoother ride. I did the full set up for around £1400 including Michelin CrossClimate+ from a Costco deal. This is for the M3P. He may still have some available. Oh, also much more pot-hole resilience!

Here are our after market 18s on an M3P. Not a great photo but gives an idea
IMG_20191209_201530.jpg

• Love
Reactions: KennethS
Second +1 for Gavin, recently purchased some 19’s from Gavin, very nice rims.

still not sure if I should have gone with the 18’s, but I’ve always run 19’s with the same depth tyres on my bmw and no issues with potholes at all. So fingers crossed!

TBH, although there are small changes in the overall radius which might have a minor effect on the accuracy of the speedo (which works from the wheel speed sensors, not GPS) when changing from 20" to "19 or 18", I think the only thing the wheel size setting does is to show the different rim styles in the app.

+1 for the rims Gavin has been supplying. The only thing to be careful of is that they are supplied with adapter rings to match the rim bore diameter to the hub diameter. These rings are aluminium and if you don't use copper grease on them, they will corrode onto the hubs and you'll have to chisel them off next time you change back to factory Tesla rims.

Reactions: meavydev
Thanks for the suggestions.
I've used Tire Size Comparison and put in 235 35 20 vs 235 45 18 and it's only 0.5 mph at 70 mph, so I've gone back to 20" but chosen gun metal, as it's closer to the look of my new 18" TSTs ;)
I've just gone with a TPMS update rather than factory reset and hopefully the next trip to the supermarket will be enough to see if the tyre pressures are working correctly... given it's stay at home time, apart from these trips.

• Helpful
Reactions: Fly.guy
Thanks for the suggestions.
I've used Tire Size Comparison and put in 235 35 20 vs 235 45 18 and it's only 0.5 mph at 70 mph, so I've gone back to 20" but chosen gun metal, as it's closer to the look of my new 18" TSTs ;)
I've just gone with a TPMS update rather than factory reset and hopefully the next trip to the supermarket will be enough to see if the tyre pressures are working correctly... given it's stay at home time, apart from these trips.
Interesting — is there any reason I should stick with the 18” setting on the Tesla menu then when I have the 18” winters on the car?

Second +1 for Gavin, recently purchased some 19’s from Gavin, very nice rims.

still not sure if I should have gone with the 18’s, but I’ve always run 19’s with the same depth tyres on my bmw and no issues with potholes at all. So fingers crossed!
Does Gavin have a website (I don't do Facebook) as this is my summer project - was going to go for these:
Bola B17 Alloy Wheels | Crystal Silver Bola B17 Alloys In Stock - LK Performance
or
1Form EDT.1 Alloy Wheels | Black EDT.1 Alloys In Stock - LK Performance

You don't need to do a TPMS update. The car should pick things up on its own within a short drive. The TPMS update seems to be for another purpose - temporary wheel change iirc. Not aware of any side effects in doing it though.

Just to update this. TPMS definitely doesn't need any manual intervention to pick up a change in wheels. Today we swapped back from winters to summers and the summer sensors (that had previously been on the car, but it was exactly the same when fitting the winters which hadn't) had started to be picked up within a mile and all four picked up very soon after. The first sensor detected was accompanied by an on screen message which I didn't get a chance to fully read, but I think it was the reminder to update wheel configuration if wheel types had changed.

The TPMS reset procedure is I think better documented now than when I first read it. A reset will basically set the 'normal' tyre pressures to be as actual pressures at that moment in time. Over/under inflation will then use those pressures. Obviously, if you reset TPMS and your tyres at that point are incorrectly set, then the alerts will sound at the wrong time - iirc 10% under inflation will trigger the alert.

If you just let the car pick up the sensors automatically, then the alerts will automatically use 42psi as the normal reading, so if tyre pressures are wrong at that point, the alerts will still be triggered at the correct values.

So there are potentially negative side effects in manually resetting the TPMS sensors. Just let the car work out things have changed for itself. Only need to manually reset TPMS sensors if using non standard pressure settings - the manual suggests such as a track event.

I've played around with this a fair bit and that's quite right, although if the pressures go up from the reset value I don't think you'll get a warning. Only if they fall from the baseline set when you reset.

It's very important to initially fill all 4 tyres to the exact same pressure using a quality gauge or you'll get some odd readings and potentially warnings if the weather turns cold and one or more drops below the trigger threshold.

I got the same alert about new wheels detected on the way to the supermarket. About a 25 minute journey, so it was about 5 minutes in.
I've had to reset the TPMS in the past when I wanted to run at 42psi and the car decided that was too low, even though that's what is on the door card.
I must admit I didn't notice any difference in ride / noise switching to the 18", but at least I'm less worried about the potholes now

Gavin Wallace from the Facebook Tesla owners forum has supplied spin forged 18s to a lot of us. Also pre-configured TPMS. Really good, nice efficiency gain and smoother ride. I did the full set up for around £1400 including Michelin CrossClimate+ from a Costco deal. This is for the M3P. He may still have some available. Oh, also much more pot-hole resilience!
Hi, I've only just seen this thread. I have been pondering the 18s that you have from Gavin for some time. Can you please tell me the sort of efficiency gains you have found once you changed to them from the stock 20s please? Also is the ride noticeably smoother? Thanks

Reactions: Gatsojon
Hi, I've only just seen this thread. I have been pondering the 18s that you have from Gavin for some time. Can you please tell me the sort of efficiency gains you have found once you changed to them from the stock 20s please? Also is the ride noticeably smoother? Thanks
Hi, in terms of the efficiency gain I don't have exact figures as I switched quite quickly after getting the car. We then went into winter so comparisons are quite tricky. My subjective feeling is that it was probably worth 10 - 15 miles, possibly a bit more.

Ride is noticably smoother. To the point where my other half was quite scathing of the ride on the OEM 20s and now seems quite a lot happier with the 18s. She'll get a shock soon as I'm putting the 20s back on for a few months. I was going to keep the 18s on over summer as we had a France trip planned, but clearly not now. The 20s do look nicer and even though the pot-hole risk is a lot higher, I'll be close to home!

All that said, I'm still pleased with the investment in the 18s and would do it again

Reactions: m3gt2