Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" Aero wheels and Model Y load limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my 2020 model y AWD (non performance) in for service due to a humming noise, and the tesla service center found the culprit and repaired it. They told me that they also noticed that the front brake calipers are being scraped due to me putting on the 18in aero wheels from my 2018 model 3. My tires are Hankook kinergy 4s2 XL 235/55 R18

I'm surprised I never noticed anything considering I drove my model Y for 30,000 miles with the 18in aero wheels on. Never heard any noises or had any problems for 30k miles.

It seems a lot of people in this thread put 18in aero wheels from the model 3 on their model y non performance, has anyone else also experienced this scraping on the front brake calipers?

Are your aeros that scrape the

Original Aeros: 700kg load rating
New Aeros: 750kg load rating

If you look at the wheels they will have the load rating visible on them like this

1708206562693.jpeg

Reactions: Skavatar
Took my 2020 model y AWD (non performance) in for service due to a humming noise, and the tesla service center found the culprit and repaired it. They told me that they also noticed that the front brake calipers are being scraped due to me putting on the 18in aero wheels from my 2018 model 3. My tires are Hankook kinergy 4s2 XL 235/55 R18

I'm surprised I never noticed anything considering I drove my model Y for 30,000 miles with the 18in aero wheels on. Never heard any noises or had any problems for 30k miles.

It seems a lot of people in this thread put 18in aero wheels from the model 3 on their model y non performance, has anyone else also experienced this scraping on the front brake calipers?
Huh. Can you see the scrapes on the inside of the wheels? If there was any contact at all, I imagine that it would leave a very clear ring etched into the barrel of the wheel!

Reactions: David99
I’ve been wondering about the new Photon 18” wheels from the new M3. Those may fit based on the Aero experience, though the recent poster’s brake comments is new information.
Curious about the Photons as well. I started a thread a few days ago about their load rating. I figure start there, and then work up to fitment.

Reactions: Atraf