Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" Aero wheels and Model Y load limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks great! Would you mind posting a photo from the side as well?

Also, which license plate bracket are you running in the front?
Thanks!

It’s a snap plate I bought off Amazon, so far, so good.

Here’s a photo from the side

Attachments

• 06B32705-1828-4403-81FE-120B618FDB49.jpeg
    06B32705-1828-4403-81FE-120B618FDB49.jpeg
    506.3 KB · Views: 518
Reactions: KJD and Level 1
This thread has been informative and inspirational to me when building up these wheels so I figured I'd share some pics of how it turned out. I lucked into a set of aero wheels off a '22 M3 locally for dirt cheap and Amazon had the Falken Wildpeak 255/55/18 for $186 each last week so not only do I absolutely love the look, but I got it all done very economically as well.

Can't wait to see how they perform in Tahoe snow and will be also be very interested to see how this change affects my range.

Attachments

• IMG_1198.jpeg
    IMG_1198.jpeg
    404.1 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_1199.jpeg
    IMG_1199.jpeg
    584.3 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_1201.jpeg
    IMG_1201.jpeg
    514.9 KB · Views: 423
I really wanted to do this setup as well but could find any gen2 Aero wheels locally.

I lucked into a set of aero wheels off a '22 M3 locally

Sadly this seems to be the hurdle for almost everyone.

Buying the wheels bare from Tesla costs a fortune. Buying a set from Tesla with snow tires (to take off) is about the same price, and gets you the sensors, etc, but at that point you might as well get the MY Gemini set with the snow tires instead. Buying on eBay is a gamble, because so many are sold by wheel repair shops and have been previously damaged and repainted.

And for whatever reason, a whole bunch of people who sell otherwise complete M3 take-off sets on eBay have pulled the TPMS? When you buy aftermarket wheels, is it really cheaper to have a tire shop unmount your old tires, pull the TPMS, then remount those tires, than it is to buy four new sensors for your new wheels? It really kills the "ready to go" value of the set you're selling... 🤷‍♂️

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have some questions. First, those who have made this move over to 18" aero, have you been happy with it? Second, from what I see most of the 18" tires that I'm seeing are "V" speed rated instead of "W", will this cause issues? Lastly, I'm trying to figure out which sizes will clear the knuckle that's next to the tire. I've seen 235/55R18 and 255/55R18. I'm thinking of going with 245/55R18 to get slightly narrower for more efficiency but also some more sidewall. DiscountTire's website suggest 245/50R18 for an optional size, so I'm trying to see what I'm missing if anything as there aren't nearly as many of those. Any help/insight would be appreciated!
Did ever get the 245/55r18 if so any issues with rubbing I'm thinking doing the same on my 2022 model Y LR with 18x8.5 wheels . Thanks for your time.

This has been such an informative thread and has really helped a lot!
I was able to snag a great deal on some 750kg rated aero wheels (Part #1044261-00-A) with Tesla TPMS sensors included. I plan on getting Blizzak DMV-2 100T or 103T and make this my winter tire set. The tires did really well on my old car this epic winter in Tahoe.

I have been bouncing around this and other threads, in search of whether I am missing washers for the TPMS sensors but cannot find it (I was able to get the torque spec).

Does anyone know if the Bluetooth sensors require washers for install? Mine did not come with any.

This has been such an informative thread and has really helped a lot!
I was able to snag a great deal on some 750kg rated aero wheels (Part #1044261-00-A) with Tesla TPMS sensors included. I plan on getting Blizzak DMV-2 100T or 103T and make this my winter tire set. The tires did really well on my old car this epic winter in Tahoe.

I have been bouncing around this and other threads, in search of whether I am missing washers for the TPMS sensors but cannot find it (I was able to get the torque spec).

Does anyone know if the Bluetooth sensors require washers for install? Mine did not come with any.
Thank you to everyone for the info in this thread.

First time tesla owner (pickup soon of MYLR) and the 19" winter tire package is sold out on tesla's site.

What about purchasing the M3 winter tire package, which is currently available for $1900 on tesla's site, for the MYLR? The service center may be reluctant to install but I could do that at home at a later time.

First time tesla owner (pickup soon of MYLR) and the 19" winter tire package is sold out on tesla's site.

What about purchasing the M3 winter tire package, which is currently available for $1900 on tesla's site, for the MYLR? The service center may be reluctant to install but I could do that at home at a later time.

Wrong size tire.

for the Model Y 18" Aeros from the model 3 (works quite well with 235/55R18 XL)

note that tire size is for the Model Y and is NOT the tire size from a Model 3.

If you buy the winter tire package for a model 3 you would then have to buy 4 more tires in the right size and swap them and then you would have 4 new tires to sell that don't fit your model Y.

Even if you buy Model 3 pulls (used wheels) you'd end up with 4 tires to get rid of in many cases.

It's just a matter of cost and convenience.

for the Model Y 18" Aeros from the model 3 (works quite well with 235/55R18 XL)

note that tire size is for the Model Y and is NOT the tire size from a Model 3.

If you buy the winter tire package for a model 3 you would then have to buy 4 more tires in the right size and swap them and then you would have 4 new tires to sell that don't fit your model Y.

Even if you buy Model 3 pulls (used wheels) you'd end up with 4 tires to get rid of in many cases.

It's just a matter of cost and convenience.
thank you. I will look for a used set of Aero 18s locally and then get the 235/55R18 XL tires with it for winter uses. Appreciate it.

Found some 2023 M3 wheels locally. Now looking at tires, would cross climate 2 be acceptable? 235/55/18. The load rating is NOT 104v, rather it’s 100V.

That corresponds to 800 kg and I recall earlier in the thread the newer M3 wheels are rated for 750 kg, up from 700, so does that mean the 800 kg of the 100V is acceptable?

Post 181 and 189 indicate yes that is fine, as long as no winter towing. That would apply to me, mainly just the 2-3x trip per month to higher elevation ski areas. That’s why I’m leaning CC2 Vs dedicated snow tire.

If I selected 245/55/18 that improves load rating to 103V.

Attachments

• A6949C31-0887-433B-A5DF-90F198B32445.png
    A6949C31-0887-433B-A5DF-90F198B32445.png
    449.1 KB · Views: 49
Found some 2023 M3 wheels locally. Now looking at tires, would cross climate 2 be acceptable? 235/55/18. The load rating is NOT 104v, rather it’s 100V.

That corresponds to 800 kg and I recall earlier in the thread the newer M3 wheels are rated for 750 kg, up from 700, so does that mean the 800 kg of the 100V is acceptable?

Post 181 and 189 indicate yes that is fine, as long as no winter towing. That would apply to me, mainly just the 2-3x trip per month to higher elevation ski areas.

If I selected 245/55/18 that improves load rating to 103V
This info is amazing. I found a local set of 2022 Model 3 18in wheels (750kg rated) that I plan to use for my winter set on my MYLR. The only other scenario of max loading I could think was ski season with the roof box full of skis and 3 kids in the back. But this still doesn't seem like it would any worse than scenario H. That would give a wide margin if you added 110lbs per axle.
For tires I'm leaning towards 235/55/18 Blizzak DM-V2 rated at 100T (800kg and 118mph). These should land at 0.7% larger diameter than the stock setup. Or I can go with the X-ICE SNOW SUV which are XL and 104 rated. They are a bit more expensive though. Do I really need the 104 rating (900kg) if the wheels themselves are only rated to 750kg?

Any issues anyone can see?

Also with the BLE TPMS self-calibrate and work? Will it be a problem to store my stock 19" Gemini's in the garage next to the car for the winter?
do you have results with this setup to share?