Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19” Wheel Largest Tire Size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering some lightweight 19X9 +30 wheels with a 265/35/19 tire size in a squared setup for my Model 3.

Seems to be a nearly identical diameter to the stock Aeros with much more contact to the road.

Might a lighter wheel and tire combo offset any loss due to aerodynamics?

Any input? Will there be any issues rubbing at stock ride height at full turn?

Wheel1.jpg

Or option #2 19X8 +35 wheels with 245/40/19 tire size in a squared setup which seems to be less variation from OEM than above.

Thoughts? Narrower wheel and tire in 19" equal a few pounds of savings and still an increased contact patch from the 245's. ;)

Or option #2 19X8 +35 wheels with 245/40/19 tire size in a squared setup which seems to be less variation from OEM than above.

Thoughts? Narrower wheel and tire in 19" equal a few pounds of savings and still an increased contact patch from the 245's. ;)
That's a narrow rim for a 245 tire. Look at the recommend rim width range for the tire. A wider rim will handle better.

Hello, does anybody know for sure whether 255/40/19 Nokian WR mounted on 19X8.5 would be stable and have no rubbing issues with the fender on the front on Model 3 Performance? I cannot find any 235/40/19 or 245/40/19 here in USA online. I know the back is not an issue but would there be any issues on the front. Also would 19X9 be the better wheel choice and if so would there be any issues with the front fender rub. 19X9 square set up would be nice if it works but not a lot of choices as 19X8.5 on aftermarket wheels.

Hello, does anybody know for sure whether 255/40/19 Nokian WR mounted on 19X8.5 would be stable and have no rubbing issues with the fender on the front on Model 3 Performance? I cannot find any 235/40/19 or 245/40/19 here in USA online. I know the back is not an issue but would there be any issues on the front. Also would 19X9 be the better wheel choice and if so would there be any issues with the front fender rub. 19X9 square set up would be nice if it works but not a lot of choices as 19X8.5 on aftermarket wheels.
We have heard from an owner in Maui who says that his 18x9.5 +38 with 265/40/18 ps4s tires clear without any rubbing issues

here is a comparison of what he is running and what you want to run

Wheel Offset Calculator

I have 245/45-18 tires on my Model 3. It does provide rim protection! Range is hard to gauge, seems about the same but mileage and speedometer are different, actually more accurate than stock 235’s but speedo still reads slightly high. 255 tires with same aspect ratio as stock should make speedometer extremely accurate regardless of wheel diameter. Removing aero covers has more negative effect on highway range than the 10mm wider and 9mm taller tire.

Sorry older thread- but I'm curious about the largest tire size you can put on a M3.

I have an opportunity to get an inexpensive set of 2018 mustang GT rims that I like, 245/40/19's in the front, 275/40/19's in the rear

I know the fronts will work, and I've heard of people running 275/35/19's on the M3, but I'm curious to know if anyone has run these larger tires on them without rubbing? Specifically on a SR+, so it is slightly higher than the P3. Wheel height is 27.7"

Anybody have experience with this?

Reactions: Coxwain
I'm considering changed the rubber on the 19" sport to an all-weather rather than get a separate winter tire. I don't like the swap idea.

can i fit a 255/40R19 on the 19" sport oem rims?

Yes, a 255 width will fit on the stock 19x8.5" rims, but just barely. The tire will stick out from the rim by an additional 3/8" - 1/2" from the stock 235/40R19 tires.

The circumference goes up by 2.3%, which is acceptable. It results in a 1.5 MPH speedometer error at 60 MPH.

No one tire is the best at everything- so especially living in a place with real winters it's smarter to have two sets of wheels- legit winter tires on one, and legit summer tires on the other.

Im 52 and have been driving since 16
I have only ever had winters on my rear wheel drive Nissan 240sx

I have had SUV's Volvo, yukon expedition, Saudi a6, infinity m35x

I grew up north of London, ON and live in Toronto with a family cottage 165km north of Toronto. Never had snow and never felt I need them.

I think my issue is that the Tesla has a sport tire on it and I don't have enough rubber on the rim to feel comfortable and I now have teenagers that drive , hence the concern.
'

I was hoping to swap 265/40-18s onto the stock aeros since they'd match stock diameter (and your comment on the guy with 265 19s suggests this won't have rubbing issues either on the stock 8.5 wide 18s)

Just curious if you know how to quantify range hit difference with wider tires?
I'm getting the Apex 18X9.5 EC-7 wheels and planning on 265/40 P4S and both Apex and MPP said clearance would be no problem with stock or with the MPP upper arms which I also purchased.

I hate that the 18" rims protrude beyond the tire.... I really like the idea of 265/40R18 which is the exact same diameter. I just need someone else to do it first! ;) while I suspect it will work fine, there's always a question of liability in an accident too.

Anyone know if 255s would still extend beyond the rim?

Does Tesla calibrate speedo in any way?
Well, if you look it up in Tire Rack specs, for the P4S the section widths are 9.3", 10.2" and 10.7" for the 235/45, 255/40 and 265/40 (all 18"), respectively. By that measure, evet the 235 sticks out a wee bit (.4") at maximum width.