Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" and 21" Tire Wear (informal) Survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DJ

Currently at 40,000 on the way to 50,000 miles on original 21 Conti's. I am out of factory spec/guidelines on almost every aspect of alignment, tire rotation procedure/schedule, tire pressures, along with the use of non-factory suspension components. I have removed mucho camber from both front and rear as this just eats wide and/or very low profile tires such as 21’s on a 2 5/8 ton car. I try not to stray >.05 from 0.00 degrees of toe at every corner and I never drive in "low" suspension setting.

FYI, but not recommending, both Chris1howell at OpenEV with their strong I-beam .210" long ULs and BBC Speed & Machine's adjustable ULs offer some very slick products to reduce rear camber.

If you decide not to follow Tesla's specifications, you are doing so at your own risk.

btw, I am a very close 101 vin build from you with probably similar alignment limitations (significant L to R spread, pass. front minimums at -.6 camber (i would prefer -.4))

Last edited:
Currently at 40,000 on the way to 50,000 miles on original 21 Conti's.

regardless of all the suspension settings, camber, toe, etc, achieving 40k+ on low profile tires in general on any car is quite a feat, and even moreso when you include avoiding/navigating all objects/potholes/pavement changes, etc. mad props to you. you might even be a better driver than me, haha :p you wouldn't happen to have achieved that by running it on a dyno all day long every day did ya??? :p

ybd,
Funny.
I've destroyed more tires on dynos in my life than I can count. There is something about putting a lot of power through a tire when strapped hard against a small radius roller that just eats them up.

On the fanatical side, if anyone could do it, my vote would be on the ster.

I've destroyed more tires on dynos in my life than I can count. There is something about putting a lot of power through a tire when strapped hard against a small radius roller that just eats them up.

Correct. The small rollers compress the tread rubber in a way that the weren't designed to be compressed (in some cases 3-5 minutes is enough). This heats up the interior of the tread blocks or ribs and vapourizes the tread compound--although the outside looks fine. In tires with ribs all the way around the circumference, it appears as if there were rubber worms that have tunneled through the tread.

I have an S85D with 21" wheels/tires. I have the OEM ContiSilent 5Ss on OEM wheels; no adjustments to alignment since factory pickup. I do mostly highway driving in the Bay Area, with 75mph cap on my TACC. I also do regular weekend pleasure drives down 35 Skyline/84 Woodside and the like if you know the area, so the car does get pushed once in a while. I have done maybe 20 launches from zero, just to show friends.

Here are my stats as of 12,000 miles. The numbers are Left, Center, Right readings per tire measured in 1/32nd's of an inch.

Driver Front: 6/6/6
Driver Rear: 6.5/6.5/6.5
Passenger Front: 6/6/6
Passenger Rear: 6/6/6
Tire pressure: 41 PSI cold (that's about 60F here in the Bay)

Original OEM tread depth: 10
Legal replacement limit: 2
Forecast tire life: 24,000 miles

- K

I have 63954 P85D with 5000 miles on Michelin 19". Moderately aggressive driving with the odd very high speed drive (125 mph on private road) and many launches. factory alignment settings. 7/32 all around front and rear. No rotation so far. It was also 7/32 all around at 2000 miles, the last time I checked it myself. Thus, I am looking forward to a fairly long tire life.

"Veronica" with air suspension (which is ~.55" lower than RWD coil cars in standard setting) recently came back from the SC where they said she will need new tires soon. Currently showing 51K (but need to subtract 2,800 miles for two deployments of my 20's). I will retire the 21 original Conti's when the odometer reaches 52,800 at which time I am going to switch to 21 Turbine staggards and 20 staggards (245/40-20 front, 265/40-20 rear).

Last edited:
I have an S85D with 21" wheels/tires. I have the OEM ContiSilent 5Ss on OEM wheels; no adjustments to alignment since factory pickup. I do mostly highway driving in the Bay Area, with 75mph cap on my TACC. I also do regular weekend pleasure drives down 35 Skyline/84 Woodside and the like if you know the area, so the car does get pushed once in a while. I have done maybe 20 launches from zero, just to show friends.

Here are my stats as of 12,000 miles. The numbers are Left, Center, Right readings per tire measured in 1/32nd's of an inch.

Driver Rear: 6.5/6.5/6.5
Passenger Rear: 6/6/6
Tire pressure: 41 PSI cold (that's about 60F here in the Bay)

Legal replacement limit: 2
Forecast tire life: 24,000 miles

- K

Last time I checked my tires, I showed you my projection of going 24,000 miles. Here are readings I just took tonight and I was shocked (using the same manual gauge). I rotated my tires last week at a Tesla service center while replacing my windshield (highway rock). The fronts wore a little more than the rears, so they were swapped.

Current odometer (original OEM tires): 24300 miles

Driver Rear: 5/5/5
Passenger Rear: 5/5/5
Tire pressure: 42 PSI cold

Legal replacement limit: 2/32
Updated Forecast tire life assuming linear wear: 48,000 miles ... ??? This can't be right. Contisilents 21". It seems the wear is not linear and that there is quite a bit of durability in the mid-depth tread. If I had to guess, the last several 32nd's should wear faster.

- K