Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Gemini's on a MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
Hi everyone! I took delivery of a new 2021 MYP in September, and promptly sold the 21 Ubers and added 19" Gemini's from a 2021 MYLR - Zero issues. Even selected 19" wheels in the UI. With the snow here in Seattle, I went ahead and ordered the 19" Gemini based Winter wheel and tire package from Tesla this morning - Order was accepted for my MYP VIN, without issue. Afterwards, I noticed a note on the order page, "Note: This package is not compatible with Model Y Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive configured with 21" Performance Wheels."

What gives? Is this note an error of some sort? Anyone else with an MYP running the 19s or 19" Winter wheel and tires on their MYP?

Last edited:
I've been running 19" Gemini wheels with Pirelli Sottozero 3 winter tires on my 2021 MYP for over two months and 2500 miles. I have had no issues, fitment-based or otherwise. Some have speculated that Tesla's warning about incompatibility of their winter tire package with the Performance Y has to do with the speed rating on the winter tire being lower than the maximum speed the MYP is capable of.

Reactions: Zhe Wiz
Hi everyone! I took delivery of a new 2021 MYP in September, and promptly sold the 21 Ubers and added 19" Gemini's from a 2021 MYLR - Zero issues. Even selected 19" wheels in the UI. With the snow here in Seattle, I went ahead and ordered the 19" Gemini based Winter wheel and tire package from Tesla this morning - Order was accepted for my MYP VIN, without issue. Afterwards, I noticed a note on the order page, "Note: This package is not compatible with Model Y Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive configured with 21" Performance Wheels."

What gives? Is this note an error of some sort? Anyone else with an MYP running the 19s or 19" Winter wheel and tires on their MYP?

The snow tires have a lower maximum speed than the MYP is capable of driving, the disclaimer is lawyer speak so if you go out in the snow and drive 155 mph and have a tire failure they are not responsible. Looks like the Pirelli WINTER SOTTOZERO 3 are V speed rated (149 mph) and the MICHELIN X-ICE SNOW are H rated (130 mph). Technically they should have the disclaimer for the MY Long range also if they provide the Michelin X-ICE snow tires since the MYLR can reach 135 mph and the tires are only rated for 130 mph.

Keith

PS: Why didn't you order the tires from tire rack? Even if you wanted separate wheels for the snow tires, you could pick up a used set of Gemini wheels pretty cheap if you look for a set with worn out tires / no tires.

Last edited:
The snow tires have a lower maximum speed than the MYP is capable of driving, the disclaimer is lawyer speak so if you go out in the snow and drive 155 mph and have a tire failure they are not responsible.

Keith
Well, not sure that is correct as Tesla sells the 21" package with the same tire! I'm thinking it's the slightly different offsets. MYP is a staggered setup, and the Gemini's are a square setup. But why would that be a real problem?

Well, not sure that is correct as Tesla sells the 21" package with the same tire! I'm thinking it's the slightly different offsets. MYP is a staggered setup, and the Gemini's are a square setup. But why would that be a real problem?
I and hundreeds of other people are running Gemini' wheels on our MYP's... they use to come from the factory with Gemini wheels and you had to get the "performance upgrade package" to get the larger wheels. I updated my initial post with the data on the speed rating of the offered snow tires for the 19" versions of the tires since that is the wheel and tire packages we were talking about. The 21" version of the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 is W rated, good for 168 mph.

Keith

Last edited:
I and hundreeds of other people are running Gemini' wheels on our MYP's... they use to come from the factory with Gemini wheels and you had to get the "performance upgrade package" to get the larger wheels. I updated my initial post with the data on the speed rating of the offered snow tires for the 19" versions of the tires since that is the wheel and tire packages we were talking about. The 21" version of the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 is W rated, good for 168 mph.

Keith
I'm running Gemini wheels, w/Contis on my MYP as well, but Tesla SC might not allow me to get the same winter package, for liability reasons (not compatible, but they won't say why...). The Tesla site did take my money, however....

I'm sorry to resurrect this thread but I'm thinking of ordering a MYP but would prefer a bit of a longer range.
Have those of you who replaced the Überturbine wheels with Geminis noticed any improvement in range or any issues with performance?

I don't pay any attention to range, so can't help you there. I did, however, put Gemini's on with stock rubber and ran an 11.82 1/4 mile at the track. They don't handle as well as Ubers in the twisties, but they're fine and actually improve straight line acceleration because of the (significantly) reduced weight.

I'm sorry to resurrect this thread but I'm thinking of ordering a MYP but would prefer a bit of a longer range.
Have those of you who replaced the Überturbine wheels with Geminis noticed any improvement in range or any issues with performance?

I am doing energy use vs temperature charts on my MYP, and I included data from the OEM 21" wheels vs the 19" Gemini's in my charts. You can see a significant difference in energy consumption.

Take a look: Anyone interested in Temp vs energy consumption charts?

Keith

PS: The data for those charts is at an average speed of 50 mph... the difference at higher speeds is even more significant.

Reactions: tryangles
D7D6B534-9799-4451-BE68-D9CEC4EA24D0.png

I’m on Gemini with 265/50 with mpp coils, amazing ride, so sporty on turns

Reactions: jebinc
Does the current PMY have the Tire Configurator allowing you to change the tire setup from 21” down to 19”? If so does the RATED RANGE shown by the battery show ANY INCREASE?

I would imagine in real world driving the vehicle would still show the correct wh/mi and yield more range? Thanks in advance.

Is the 12% increase with or without the wheel covers?
I haven’t tested without the covers, but the consumption is way different IMO than with 21s. I swapped the Gemini covers for Rimetrix and got like 225 or 230 wh/mi at 65mph, and today I was speeding back around 80mph, up to 90-100mph at times, and over 30mi I got 275wh/mi average consumption all with AC running and fan speed 5. Very happy with the decision on swapping to 19s.

Reactions: jebinc
I haven’t tested without the covers, but the consumption is way different IMO than with 21s. I swapped the Gemini covers for Rimetrix and got like 225 or 230 wh/mi at 65mph, and today I was speeding back around 80mph, up to 90-100mph at times, and over 30mi I got 275wh/mi average consumption all with AC running and fan speed 5. Very happy with the decision on swapping to 19s.
225-230 Wh/mi is what I would get in my Leaf at 60 mph in summertime, and it’s a much smaller, lighter car! I’ve got my Geminis ready to go when I finally get my MYP. Thanks for the info! BTW, where do you find a 30 mile stretch to go 90-100 in the Bay Area?