Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19 - Inch "Foamed" Tire Searchers Rejoice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, the title is over the top, but it finally looks like you can actually order 19" Goodyear Eagle Touring tires with the sound deadening foam installed by the manufacturer! These were hard to find, and now they show up at Tirerack. It says TO Tesla, SoundComfort Tech right in the listing.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...toYear=2013&autoModClar=85&vehicleSearch=true

Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 3.56.32 PM.png

These have been available for those with 21" wheels from Continental (as ContiSilent) but there was no 19" equivalent until now.

As many know, this is pretty much the last best thing you can do to lessen transmitted road noise to your cabin before ripping your car's interior apart to install Dynamat, or other types of mass loaded vinyl.

Now I just have to wear out my current set.

Here is an instrumented test of foam-lined tires on a Tesla S in real-world driving conditions. They were not the Tesla Goodyears but same technology. Spoiler alert: no audibly significant difference in noise.

Tested: Do Acoustically Insulated Tires Really Hush Road Noise?
Maybe this is right and there is no difference, but I'd like to see a spectrum analysis. The road noise is heavily weighted to lower frequencies, so perhaps these tires could improve the noise level at higher frequencies where the ear is more sensitive?

Reactions: Vitold
Do you think this is just the usual "marketing" then? Based on the test results and 'no perceptible difference'? Would be nice to hear the results of some real world testing by Tesla Owers to see if these really stack up.

Ski
Hard to know until we get more info. If it's marketing, then they are doing a terrible job. I have not read to much about this, other than on these forums, and the manufactures are not rolling it out in any large media campaigns, at least none that I have seen.

Who knows, I thought these were really going to offer some big improvement in transmitted noise. I'd buy them now if there was demonstrable proof of improvement.

I used a sound meter to check the difference between my 2012 MS P85 and 2017 MS 90D. The older vehicle was noisier with the Michelin tires. Both have 19" wheels.

When the Michelin tires were recently replaced with the Goodyear Eagle Touring on the 2012 MS P85, the road noise at 65 mph on concrete freeways was improved. Both the 2012 and 2017 with the SoundComfort technology are now at similar sound readings on the freeway.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Nope. I had one repaired at a Goodyear tire shop. They just move the foam aside, patch the hole, move the foam back, and it's done.

I just had my local Goodyear shop try to fix a leak and they claim the tire is unfixable because of the foam lining. I asked about cutting away the foam at the source and they said they can't do that and wanted to sell me a new tire. I'll probably try Tesla service instead.

I just had my local Goodyear shop try to fix a leak and they claim the tire is unfixable because of the foam lining. I asked about cutting away the foam at the source and they said they can't do that and wanted to sell me a new tire. I'll probably try Tesla service instead.

The Goodyear shop called me back and said they contacted corporate and got a service bulletin on how to fix the foam-filled tires. And I was silly enough to think a Goodyear tire center would already know how to fix a Goodyear tire. It's not rocket science. Me thinks they were doing the usual auto center ploy of taking advantage of a woman and trying to upsell me a tire I don't really need. I'll give them a little credit for admitting they could actually fix the tire, but I won't be going to that store ever again.

The Goodyear shop called me back and said they contacted corporate and got a service bulletin on how to fix the foam-filled tires. And I was silly enough to think a Goodyear tire center would already know how to fix a Goodyear tire. It's not rocket science. Me thinks they were doing the usual auto center ploy of taking advantage of a woman and trying to upsell me a tire I don't really need. I'll give them a little credit for admitting they could actually fix the tire, but I won't be going to that store ever again.
I had the same issue over a year ago. I called the nearest Goodyear tire center and they had no idea what I was talking about. I guess the foam lined tires were Tesla's creation? I did end up getting it patched for free at one Less Schwab tires, but I must have called eight different tire centers before I found one that knew how to fix it.