Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19 vs 20 in wheels on model 3 non-performance version...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, you basically lose suspension travel and the spring to damper rates are not well matched. Aftermarket coilovers like MPP or Unplugged are also adjustable so you can make them more firm for the track and then softer for street driving.

If you are on a budget and aren't doing very aggressive driving, then lowering springs aren't too bad. If you're planning to go to the track a few times, i'd suggest getting coilovers.

I see. I do quite aggressive driving (flooring it every time I have a chance lol) hence wanted to low my M3 to get some extra performance and speed, not planning on going to the track thou. Just canyon runs, freeways and LA streets.

Do you think I can get away with lower springs or I should just go with MPP?

@MountainPass , any recommended shop to install your coilovers in SoCal?

Thank you.

MPP isn't the only option, they just have the best communication and YouTube videos (not that the product is bad in any way, it's not!) ;)

Check out Unplugged Performance, they are in our backyard and also offer coilovers. I'm personally getting a set of theirs in the next few weeks. I am pretty sure both companies will make fantastic products, but it's still too early for reviews on both.

Coilover Suspension Kit For Tesla Model 3 by Unplugged Performance

I see. I do quite aggressive driving (flooring it every time I have a chance lol) hence wanted to low my M3 to get some extra performance and speed, not planning on going to the track thou. Just canyon runs, freeways and LA streets.

Thank you.

You'll get a better ride with Mountain Pass Performance. They designed the suspension specifically for the Model 3 and it's their main focus. It's worth it in my opinion. I wouldn't consider anything else. But if budget is an issue, then do what's in your budget. I think the Teslanomics guy did an unplugged lowered suspension and the ride seemed harsh. That's not very scientific, but that's the impression I got when his wife complained about it in one of his videos :)

Those were lowering springs, not coilovers. You will definitely get a good product with Mountain Pass, but it's definitely way too early to say one company is better than the other since we haven't really even seen Unplugged's yet ;)

Fair! I just get a really good feeling that this Sasha guy really knows what the F he's doing :)

I would love to see a comparison opinion of both when they both get released.

Last edited:
MPP isn't the only option, they just have the best communication and YouTube videos (not that the product is bad in any way, it's not!) ;)

Check out Unplugged Performance, they are in our backyard and also offer coilovers. I'm personally getting a set of theirs in the next few weeks. I am pretty sure both companies will make fantastic products, but it's still too early for reviews on both.

Coilover Suspension Kit For Tesla Model 3 by Unplugged Performance

*checking my backyard*... I can't see them. lol

Jokes aside, UP is located in LA and I saw some vids in where they do their own installation. Their coilovers are a bit more expensive than MPP but I think I won't be charged shipping if I go pick them up myself and have them install it.

If you have a total price (installation and alignment), please share it with me.

You'll get a better ride with Mountain Pass Performance. They designed the suspension specifically for the Model 3 and it's their main focus. It's worth it in my opinion. I wouldn't consider anything else. But if budget is an issue, then do what's in your budget. I think the Teslanomics guy did an unplugged lowered suspension and the ride seemed harsh. That's not very scientific, but that's the impression I got when his wife complained about it in one of his videos :)

Yah, I saw their vids and one of their RWD M3 was doing faster than a P3D without mods, that kinda makes me go check them out but I would like to know where can I install their products as well (at least know what shop they work with here in LA).

Budget is ok but time constrain is what limits me (like I don't like to wait lol).

Also, can you link the video where Teslanomics wife complain about the ride?

Thank you both for your input.

kbecks13 is correct that it was a lowering suspension and not a coilover. So best to disregard and try to find an apple to apples comparison.

But it's a good example of how a lowering spring will do a great job like 80-90% of the time in terms of ride comfort (while looking sweet), but if you max out the suspension travel than it can become harsh. This is true with any lowering spring and is the penalty for saving so much money. Coilovers cost more, but help prevent this quite a bit while allowing you to lower the car.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
kbecks13 is correct that it was a lowering suspension and not a coilover. So best to disregard and try to find an apple to apples comparison.

I see, but I was actually quite curious about what the wife said about the ride.

Comparison wise, I believe he had the moderated or lowered suspension while I'm looking for mild suspensions. People on forums have told me that they love their TSport springs and some people in youtube had told me the same regarding UP mild springs.

But it's a good example of how a lowering spring will do a great job like 80-90% of the time in terms of ride comfort (while looking sweet), but if you max out the suspension travel than it can become harsh. This is true with any lowering spring and is the penalty for saving so much money. Coilovers cost more, but help prevent this quite a bit while allowing you to lower the car.

Also, forgot to add something important as well. How does this change affects Tesla's suspension warranty? Does anyone know?

I believe it should not be an issue if I do the TSport springs (which was also kinda recommended by some Tesla ppl) but I want to get all the info needed before I decide for either or.

So far, MPP sounds good since it can be adjusted and it seems it won't messed up much with my damper rates but I've seen some comments mentioning that minimal lowering of springs (UP Mild or TSport) will not mess up with dampers as much as it would do with moderated UP or lower UP.

PS: Am I the only one that has the Tesla website open with the P3D+ configuration already done and ready for the final "click" to order it but won't do it because selling my RWD M3 will be too much of a hassle plus?

Also, forgot to add something important as well. How does this change affects Tesla's suspension warranty? Does anyone know?

If your damper fails, they might try to say it was because of a lowering spring - but i'm not sure. If you get a coilover, there isn't much of a problem since anything that would fail on the coilover wouldn't be under warranty anyway.

Both MPP and UP coilovers are adjustable for dampening, but honestly if you're not going to the track you probably won't be tuning this much (besides the first time).

The reason that the minimal lowering springs aren't so harsh is because they don't remove as much suspension travel and therefore you don't bottom-out as often. If the stock suspension has 2" of travel, and you lower the car 1.5" then you only have 0.5" of suspension left! On the other hand, if you only lower it half an inch then you still have quite a bit of the suspension travel left.

Coilovers are different because you have a custom tuned damper and normally slightly stiffer springs that prevent the suspension from bottoming out. This doesn't mean that the ride itself is stiffer since there are other tricks that can be used in the damper to give a smooth ride over bumpy surfaces, but also stay firm during hard cornering with the stiffer springs.

If your damper fails, they might try to say it was because of a lowering spring - but i'm not sure. If you get a coilover, there isn't much of a problem since anything that would fail on the coilover wouldn't be under warranty anyway.

Both MPP and UP coilovers are adjustable for dampening, but honestly if you're not going to the track you probably won't be tuning this much (besides the first time).

The reason that the minimal lowering springs aren't so harsh is because they don't remove as much suspension travel and therefore you don't bottom-out as often. If the stock suspension has 2" of travel, and you lower the car 1.5" then you only have 0.5" of suspension left! On the other hand, if you only lower it half an inch then you still have quite a bit of the suspension travel left.

Coilovers are different because you have a custom tuned damper and normally slightly stiffer springs that prevent the suspension from bottoming out. This doesn't mean that the ride itself is stiffer since there are other tricks that can be used in the damper to give a smooth ride over bumpy surfaces, but also stay firm during hard cornering with the stiffer springs.

I see, thank you for the explanation.

It seems that, for my required height, I kinda don't need the coilovers but UP mild springs (dual) or TSport (linear / progressive) springs should be enough?

Thank you again for the info.

It seems that, for my required height, I kinda don't need the coilovers but UP mild springs (dual) or TSport (linear / progressive) springs should be enough?

It's a trade-off. They will probably give you 70% of the ride comfort and handling compared to coilovers, but they're cheaper. Personally, i'm spending more on my suspension since we can't add a cold air intake or anything like that :p

It's a trade-off. They will probably give you 70% of the ride comfort and handling compared to coilovers, but they're cheaper. Personally, i'm spending more on my suspension since we can't add a cold air intake or anything like that :p

I see, got it.

Are you having UP coilovers installed in your M3? Do you know if those are similar to MPP performance coilover?

How much will it cost you including installation and alignment?

Also, how was your experience selling your RWD? I'm looking at losing around 7k from original loan and adding an extra 20k to it if I were to buy the P3D.

Gotta see how can I do it with my CU.

After talking to UP, they assured me that, for my daily drive needs, the UP Mild would be enough plus they can do the install themselves at their shop.

I think I'll pull the trigger on it unless I see any other reason to go with TSport.

Thank you for your help =)

How exactly is it a downgrade from a performance perspective? And yes I do care about looks...the aero 18 wheels are just hideous. I'm discussing 19 vs 20...18 aero not even in the picture for me. Gross...
Its funny because although I'm not a fan of my wheels looks, in the last week at least four people thought my aero (without covers) were the upgraded wheels. It would go something like this "Oh nice, good thing you got those upgraded wheels instead of those hideous 5 spoke plastic cover things, those look way better".

Further, my understanding is that the Model 3's stock suspension uses partially pliable rubber stoppers where the stoppers are contacted fairly quickly but the first part of them is softer and just slows the compression ahead of reaching the hard, "stop right here" part.

This is pretty common in modern cars, as it's a relatively cheap but passable solution. MPP's solutions don't do this, so actually has more effective travel using actual dampeners, which inherently [assuming you aren't using crappy shocks] has superior handling/ride properties. I don't know abut UP's upcoming coil-over/damper product but it would be unsurprising if also eschewed the pliable stopper shortcut.

Last edited:
Reactions: kbecks13
I think the Teslanomics guy did an unplugged lowered suspension and the ride seemed harsh. That's not very scientific, but that's the impression I got when his wife complained about it in one of his videos

I believe she was comparing the ride as a whole to when they first got the car which came with 18" aeros. I recall they got both 20" aftermarket wheels and the lowering springs at the same time and the larger wheels on its own would already make the ride much harsher.

Thank you.

Where are you located? I missed this tag while on Christmas vacation!