Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19's on a P85D or P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The US site also allows the P85D to be optioned with a set of winter tires on either 21s or 19s.

To this concern I would like to say that on the US site both the 19s and the 21s winter tires are available, on the Swiss site two 19s winter tires are available (Nokian and Pirelli), while on the Italian site only one 19s winter tires is available (Pirelli). :confused:

IMO best way to make available winter tires is that shown on the US site.

I'm going to go check this now, but I believe it allows you to ADD a set of 19 or 21 wheels with snow tires as an accessory package. It's not in lieu of the 21" summer wheels. It's certainly not priced that way.

I am going to get the P85D. I currently own a Sig P85. Over two years, I have accumulated 3 sets of wheels and tires, 21's with the Conti's for performance and looks, 19's with Nokien Hakka snow tires for hard core winter driving, and 19's with Michelin's for summertime everyday, road tripping, and mild winter driving. With a floor jack, breaker bar, torque wrench, and the TPMS learning, it's not much effort to switch wheels when needed.

Given what has been said here, I will probably just keep my two extra sets of 19's for the new P85D and sell the 21's with the P85.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself a bit here, but when I get my Pxx(x)X(D) next year I hope 19" are on offer. If not I will sell the stock 21" ASAP and get a pair of 20" for summer and 19" for winter.

As a side remark: who here thinks the wheels and bolt patrern will be identical for the Model X? I do...

My plan.....sell/trade-in my S85 with the 21s on it and get a P85D (hopefully). Keep my 19s with both a set of winters and a set of primacy and then stick the 19s on the P85D swapping just the tires through the seasons. I'll be in the same boat I am in now with a brand new set of 21s in my barn....just taunting me to break them....and I probably will.

Confirmed with the local Shop Foreman that the P85D has the staggered 21" wheels like the P85+. Cannot downgrade to 19", can only add the winter set 19" at a discount. So I added the 19" winter set to my order. Seems like this means my P85D will have a 295 mile range! I think I'll keep the 21's for future resale or try to sell them immediately.

Not a joke. Going from 21" to 19" increase range to the same level as the 85D (295 miles).

The range increase comes from moving from a summer tire (sticker grip = more friction = lower range) to a harder all season tire with smaller contact width (less rolling resistance). Also the 19s are lighter which reduces rotational mass and also results in increased range.

The range increase comes from moving from a summer tire (sticker grip = more friction = lower range) to a harder all season tire with smaller contact width (less rolling resistance). Also the 19s are lighter which reduces rotational mass and also results in increased range.

Yeah, but not 20 miles worth of range.

- - - Updated - - -

See the old design studio below... the 85kWh battery had 265 miles of range, regardless of tire/wheel size between the S85, P85 and P85+.

In fact, Tesla claimed that the P85+ tweaked a few extra miles of added range using the 21" wheels and suspension upgrades.

Pretty much everyone out there now with a 85, P85, or P85+ gets 260-265 rated miles on a range charge. Again, regardless of 19" vs. 21" wheel size.

But don't believe me. Believe your P85D when you get it.

configurator.png

If we're talking solely the difference between summer 21s vs lower rolling resistance all season 19s , then 20 miles extra range is definitely easily possible just by the tire/wheel switch alone.

I absolutely saw a range increase on my P85 when I went to 19 snows or 19 all-seasons from the grippy 21 Conti's. Will the P85D go to 295 from 275 with 19's. I don't think that it will go all the way, but 285 (in the mythical range universe) is likely. Other consumers of range on the P85D are the bigger motors and the extra weight, that won't let you get all the way to 295, but 285 is likely (in that mythical universe).

The tesla website clearly shows a drop in range when going from 19" to 21" (Your Questions Answered | Tesla Motors). From 261 miles down to 247 miles at 65mph, roughly 5% drop. The staggered wheels bring that back up to mid-250's. But definitely nowhere near 265 miles. The 265 miles on the order page for 85 and P85 is based on 19" wheels but the 275 miles for the P85D is based on the staggered 21" since Tesla isn't allowing you to configure with 19" wheels (other than as an accessory for winter). The front motor in the P85D is the same motor as the one in the 85D, but tuned for more power. Just as going from 85 to P85 doesn't affect range, going from 85D to P85D shouldn't affect range either assuming the same 19" wheels. Hence the P85D with 19" wheels should have the same range as the 85D with 19" wheels (295 miles).

If we're talking solely the difference between summer 21s vs lower rolling resistance all season 19s , then 20 miles extra range is definitely easily possible just by the tire/wheel switch alone.

(a) I don't believe this is true, in reality. I might not have been on the forums as long as you, but I've never seen anyone claiming a 8%-10% increase in range due to wheel/tires switch alone. So you're claiming that this winter (next month), when I swap my 21" wheels for the 19" TSTs with 19" LRR tires (Hankook), that my range will suddently increase to 285 miles? I find that highly unlikely, but I'll let you know if it happens.

(b) It seems that commasign is basing this solely on the difference posted on the design studio between the 85D and the P85D, assuming the 85D has 19" wheels (not a valid assumption because you can order an 85D with 21" rims and the range is still 295), and the P85D has 21" wheels (a valid assumption because that's the only choice).

The front motor in the P85D is the same motor as the one in the 85D, but tuned for more power. Just as going from 85 to P85 doesn't affect range, going from 85D to P85D shouldn't affect range either assuming the same 19" wheels. Hence the P85D with 19" wheels should have the same range as the 85D with 19" wheels (295 miles).

Except that the extra weight of the big motor/gearbox/inverter in back will cost you something in range in a P85D. Do we know how much more a P85D weighs than an S85D?

The front motor in the P85D is the same motor as the one in the 85D, but tuned for more power.

Yes, and the efficiency (and range) go down because of this, not just because of the wheel size, and I would say more-so. And isn't the rear motor a lot bigger too? (i.e. less efficient?)

Hence the P85D with 19" wheels should have the same range as the 85D with 19" wheels (295 miles).

This logic just doesn't follow for me. The motors and their efficiency are very different between the 85D and P85D.. you can't assume they have the same range if they have the same wheels.

But I'll let you know if my P85+ experiences a 20 miles range increase this winter with the 19" wheels.

(a) I don't believe this is true, in reality. I might not have been on the forums as long as you, but I've never seen anyone claiming a 8%-10% increase in range due to wheel/tires switch alone. So you're claiming that this winter (next month), when I swap my 21" wheels for the 19" TSTs with 19" LRR tires (Hankook), that my range will suddently increase to 285 miles? I find that highly unlikely, but I'll let you know if it happens.

You won't see the "rated range" value increase on the display, but what you will see is a consistent lower Wh/mi trip odometer after switching which results in that extra 20 miles range. Aka going from 330Wh/mi to 290Wh/mi or similar difference. So you might start out with let's say 265 rated range regardless of the tire, but after 200 miles on summer 21s you could be down to 35 or 45 miles vs if you were on all season 19s after than same identical 200 mi trip, you would have 65 miles remaining instead. That's where you're going realize that extra 20 mile gain from the 19s.

EDIT: I should point out that during the winter months the battery heater kicks on more and eats more juice which is going to mask the range difference. You'd need to compare the two immediately during the same outside ambient temperature to see the difference in efficiency.