Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st day battery concerns?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The battery does not hold miles, it holds energy. How far that energy takes you depends on a huge number of factors. Your car will likely go around 600-800 miles under absurdly unrealistic ideal conditions at extremely low speed. The higher the speed, the lower the range. What you’re seeing is about right for that speed. You need to go 50ish to get rated range with A/C running.

The battery does not hold miles, it holds energy. How far that energy takes you depends on a huge number of factors. Your car will likely go around 600-800 miles under absurdly unrealistic ideal conditions at extremely low speed. The higher the speed, the lower the range. What you’re seeing is about right for that speed. You need to go 50ish to get rated range with A/C running.
Thanks!

That number is not a promise from Tesla that you’ll be able to go that far under most any conditions. That number is how far car the car will go under very specific conditions. Conditions that are specified and mandated by the EPA. Much the same as EPA mileage ratings in a gasoline vehicle.

Got my SR+ today and had 198 mile range, drove 35 miles at around 70mph and when got home was at 150 charge? It is very hot in Texas, have 18” wheels, is there anything I am missing that could have drained battery?
Also, your tires are new. As they wear in, energy use will decline (range will improve) slightly. But speed and A/C are the big culprits.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
If my calculations are correct you have to average 208 watt-hours per mile (wh/m) to get 240 miles out of the 50 kw/h battery on the SR+. I've had mine about a month and driven about 1000 miles and I'm averaging about 192 wh/m so that equates to about 260 total range. Of course, I usually go between 60 - 65 on the freeway (yes, lots of people blow by me but doesn't bother me..hey...the slower I go the more time I get to be driving a wonderful car :) ). Also, I've barely used the A/C. Agree that A/C and speed make a big difference. Congrats on your new SR+!

Got my SR+ today and had 198 mile range, drove 35 miles at around 70mph and when got home was at 150 charge? It is very hot in Texas, have 18” wheels, is there anything I am missing that could have drained battery?

EVs get better range in the city driving with the stop and go, especially with the regen braking. On the highway, you are dealing with much more wind resistance and to maintain speed it requires more energy, factor in lack of regen on highway driving, plus the AC cranking and that would explain it. There is a sweet spot for range on the highway, I think if you keep it to 60-65mph and you will realize more range or work your commutes to coincide with tailwinds. ;)

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
EVs get better range in the city driving with the stop and go, especially with the regen braking.
To an extent. But regen involves losses that are better avoided entirely. If chemical to kinetic efficiency is 80%, and kinetic to chemical efficiency is 80%, regen is giving you 64% of what you started with. Better to lose the 20% than the 36% in the conversion. Coasting is ideal.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
is there anything I am missing that could have drained battery?
The rated miles are based on the EPA test cycle,

Yes, the miles are related to the performance on the EPA test cycle. For the SR+, we still need carefully gathered data, but you probably need to see about 220Wh/mi in the trip meter screen, in order to see "mile for mile" drain on the display. If you are consuming more than that, you'll have less range than the display indicates, and if you are at a lower consumption level, you'll have more than the indicated range.

Note that you can lose a significant number of miles just sitting too, so the above statements are only true for a trip where all you do is drive. The trip meter only shows energy use while NOT in Park.

Assuming you did not lose any energy while in Park, to use 48 rated miles in a 35-mile drive, you got about 48rmi/35mi*220Wh/rmi = 302Wh/mi - you can always check the display to see...

The battery does not hold miles, it holds energy. How far that energy takes you depends on a huge number of factors.

This is the correct answer. And the display of rated miles shows you the energy remaining. The displayed miles do not depend on driving style.

If my calculations are correct you have to average 208 watt-hours per mile (wh/m) to get 240 miles out of the 50 kw/h battery on the SR+.

This isn't quite correct. The total capacity of the SR+ battery is closer to 54kWh.

https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=46584&flag=1

However, that doesn't mean 54kWh/240rmi = 225Wh/rmi. This is because of the battery reserve below 0 miles, and perhaps because the meter reads a little low. Anyway, the real number is smaller than 225Wh/rmi, most likely. I've heard for the SR+ it is close to 220Wh/rmi (extrapolates to 52.8kWh available not including the reserve). But we need carefully gathered data; still waiting on data from an owner for a reasonable length trip.

For the P3D/AWD, it's about 230Wh/rmi. (I've seen this on a couple different vehicles.) So to get my rated range in my P3D, I need to do better than 230Wh/mi. (This is a highly improbable event.)

EVs get better range in the city driving with the stop and go, especially with the regen braking. On the highway, you are dealing with much more wind resistance and to maintain speed it requires more energy, factor in lack of regen on highway driving, plus the AC cranking and that would explain it.

True. Just worth noting that in city driving, it is best to avoid regen if you can, to maximize range. (Don't use the brakes either of course.) EDIT: Well, I guess @Dr. J just covered this...

Yes, the miles are related to the performance on the EPA test cycle. For the SR+, we still need carefully gathered data, but you probably need to see about 220Wh/mi in the trip meter screen, in order to see "mile for mile" drain on the display. If you are consuming more than that, you'll have less range than the display indicates, and if you are at a lower consumption level, you'll have more than the indicated range.

Note that you can lose a significant number of miles just sitting too, so the above statements are only true for a trip where all you do is drive. The trip meter only shows energy use while NOT in Park.

Assuming you did not lose any energy while in Park, to use 48 rated miles in a 35-mile drive, you got about 48rmi/35mi*220Wh/rmi = 302Wh/mi - you can always check the display to see...

This is the correct answer. And the display of rated miles shows you the energy remaining. The displayed miles do not depend on driving style.

This isn't quite correct. The total capacity of the SR+ battery is closer to 54kWh.

https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=46584&flag=1

However, that doesn't mean 54kWh/240rmi = 225Wh/rmi. This is because of the battery reserve below 0 miles, and perhaps because the meter reads a little low. Anyway, the real number is smaller than 225Wh/rmi, most likely. I've heard for the SR+ it is close to 220Wh/rmi (extrapolates to 52.8kWh available not including the reserve). But we need carefully gathered data; still waiting on data from an owner for a reasonable length trip.

For the P3D/AWD, it's about 230Wh/rmi. (I've seen this on a couple different vehicles.) So to get my rated range in my P3D, I need to do better than 230Wh/mi. (This is a highly improbable event.)

True. Just worth noting that in city driving, it is best to avoid regen if you can, to maximize range. (Don't use the brakes either of course.) EDIT: Well, I guess @Dr. J just covered this...
City driving may be good in Summer...however in winter when you sit in the traffic with the heat on, not so much. Also if you do short trips, it gets really bad. And cold battery means no regen either...

It's funny how on ICE forums no one asks this question.
I started out with a full tank of gas and the car said 435 miles to empty.
I drove 325 miles and the fill tank light came on. ......
That’s true!!!

My old car was very optimistic when it came to range. BMW 2010 model. Like 400 miles range but low fuel cane around 330. Every car with estimated mileage was always optimistic. Even the gas gauge barely moves from full to 3/4 full. That’s the case in my bmw, vw, and Nissan. Then it starts to drop faster, in my observation. Yet it never bothered me. But in my first EV I obsess about it lol. (Ok obsess is too strong but I think about it).

The thing is, if we had as many quick chargers as gas stations, we would happy driving around with a needle as power gauge. Wouldn't we ?

Availability of energy source that fuels the concern.

I’m trying to train myself to not worry about it and just charge to 70-80% daily and not worry.

Although it annoyed me when the gas gauge barely moves for the first part than falls off like a cliff.