Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st post! And strange charging behavior.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thrilled to finally join the Tesla community. Just picked up a 2013 P85 with 56K from a non-Tesla dealer.

The car is amazing, but I have already experienced some odd behavior with the charge port.

When I first plugged it in (120v outlet), no problems. But then I left it outside (still charging) and we got hit by a large rainstorm.

After that, when I plug it in, the port flashes Green/Orange, then turns red. Stays red while the plug is inserted. Flashes green/orange when I walk up to the car with my key, then goes back to red.

BUT - it still charges. I'm getting between 3-4 miles per hour of charge, and it seemed to charge fine overnight (150 -> 197).

I definitely plan on calling Tesla, but wanted to see what the community thinks of this.

3-4 miles per hour is what you should expect on 120v circuit. But the colors are concerning. First check that there's no debris in end of charge cable and try reinserting several times. If it doesn't seat right, you can get warnings, and they can be finicky.

I've charged outdoors in rain, snow, and extreme temperatures with no issues. The system is pretty weather proof. Are you using extension cord? If so, make sure it is the heaviest duty you can get.

If all that fails, I agree you should take it in to the shop.

Once inserted, it seems to be watertight, but I keep a rag to dry the plug off before insertion or removal. I've occasionally had it do funny things when wet (two or three times in over four years).