Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st post - do Tesla's (Model Y specifically) come with type 2 charging cable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I have just ordered my first Tesla, a Model Y LR, due for delivery in May, and I wondered whether it will come with a charging cable and if so what length?

I am in the process of ordering an untethered EV charging unit and don't want to purchase an additional cable if already supplied, albeit I would want 7-10m in length.

TIA, and I am enjoying the various thread topics already.

Solution
Silverstone is a pretty famous racing circuit in England/GB/UK. Considered to be home of Formula 1 by many since most teams are based in England/GB/UK.

Tesla sells Type 2 adapter for 99£ (Description says every new Tesla is provided with one):

It should come with this:

You might be better suited asking this question here:
Welcome to TMC. All new teslas currently come with a "Tesla mobile connector". I am not sure of the length, but here is a link to the manual for the product itself:

Perhaps the specs / length is in that manual for you.

It comes with a 5-15 (standard US outlet) adapter, and any other adapters for it will need to be purchased separately (like 14-50 or 6-50, 14-30, etc). This adapter is capable of level 2 charging, up to 32amps (so a 40 amp circuit), with the proper adapter purchased for it.

Upvote 0
Welcome to TMC. All new teslas currently come with a "Tesla mobile connector". I am not sure of the length, but here is a link to the manual for the product itself:

Perhaps the specs / length is in that manual for you.

It comes with a 5-15 (standard US outlet) adapter, and any other adapters for it will need to be purchased separately (like 14-50 or 6-50, 14-30, etc). This adapter is capable of level 2 charging, up to 32amps (so a 40 amp circuit), with the proper adapter purchased for it.

Yes, the manual says its a 6 meter thing from end to end(tesla charge cord end to actual PLUG in the wall, meaning the 1ft adapter and 1ft UMC body are included).

You clearly would need an extension cord to get to even 6 meters of actual distance between plug and chargeport, since neither end is gonna do well getting pulled sideways very much.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Irrelevant responses, y'all. The title says a Type 2 cable. This isn't for the U.S., so the responses about the U.S. Universal Mobile Connector are not what the car will come with. And the description is talking about one of the European style EVSEs that have a port in them that need to use a cable that has plugs on both ends.

@MarcW I am not sure if the Model Y in your location comes with a Type 2 cable or not. You might need to check with a Tesla store in your region. I don't know what country "Silverstone" is in.

Upvote 0
Irrelevant responses, y'all. The title says a Type 2 cable. This isn't for the U.S., so the responses about the U.S. Universal Mobile Connector are not what the car will come with. And the description is talking about one of the European style EVSEs that have a port in them that need to use a cable that has plugs on both ends.

@MarcW I am not sure if the Model Y in your location comes with a Type 2 cable or not. You might need to check with a Tesla store in your region. I don't know what country "Silverstone" is in.

Good catch. For some reason, I read "type 2" as "level 2", which of course is not what was said.

Reactions: Sophias_dad
Upvote 0
Silverstone is a pretty famous racing circuit in England/GB/UK. Considered to be home of Formula 1 by many since most teams are based in England/GB/UK.

Tesla sells Type 2 adapter for 99£ (Description says every new Tesla is provided with one):

It should come with this:

You might be better suited asking this question here:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Solution
Congratulations on your future model Y!

I assume that the Tesla Mobile Connector is different in Europe than in North America. It is common in the UK for the charging cable to be just that... a cable without an EVSE. The EVSE is mounted to the wall, and you plug one end of your cable into the EVSE and the other end of the cable into your car. That is not the case in North America. Here the EVSE is hard wired to the cable that goes to your car.

I would assume that a UK car would have UK compliant charging equipment, but you are smart to check... but you should look for a UK specific message board to ask this particular question on. This board is great for your general questions, but we are ignorant of your charging systems / requirements both AC charging and DC fast charging are different in the UK than they are in North America.

Keith

Upvote 0