Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st Road Trip - Toronto to Ann Arbor Supercharger, Michigan (Use Windsor or Sarnia?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yoona

NEWBIE Trader
May 3, 2017
Canada
Departing Woodstock on S75 fully charged. Destination is near the Ann Arbor Supercharger.

Is it better to cross the border through Windsor or Sarnia? Travel time is almost the same. Just curious what border has less waiting time to cross to USA. Arriving at the border Friday noon.

Thanks

I cross the Ontario/Michigan border quite often as I have family in Michigan.

I almost always consult the "border wait times" websites before I get to Highway 402 and make my decision at that point but as a general rule the Bluewater Crossing is less busy (that's Sarnia). Plus, you have a Supercharger on the other side of the bridge in case you need it.

Also... but doing this, you get to drive along I-94 for longer and if you are in a hurry the speed limit is 70 or 75mph (can't quite remember now).

I beat a path in that direction quite regularly going to visit my daughter in Chicago.

I have found the Ambassador Bridge in Windsor-Detroit to be faster than the Sarnia-Port Huron Bluewater bridge as a rule. Originally, I HAD to go through Detroit due to Supercharger limitations and was quite (pleasantly) surprised by this. The first time I crossed into Detroit, the majority of my time spent at the border was talking to the Customs guy and waiting while he called his buddies over to check out the car!

Aside from the crossing point, the drive time seems about the same to me. Usually from Sarnia I head towards Flint , then south near Lansing and take I-94 towards Battle Creek and on westward. One time I crossed at Sarnia and headed down towards Ann Arbor and found the traffic very heavy for quite a distance around metro Detroit. It doesn't seem as bad going through Detroit, past the airport and straight on to Ann Arbor.

Thanks, guys.

Option A: Windsor (drive through Detroit)
Woodstock-Comber 185km
Comber-Ann Arbor 118km​

Option B: Sarnia (freeway non-stop)
Woodstock-Sarnia 155km
Sarnia-Ann Arbor 163km​

Either way, what a dilemma due to range anxiety! I've never driven more than 70km/day.

I would take option A. If you take the ambassador bridge you will bypass downtown Detroit plus Comber is further away from Woodstock than Port Huron which will give you a better idea if you're gonna make it to Ann Arbor without stopping. The car navigation is fairly accurate in estimating the remaining energy at your destination but give yourself 10-15% cushion until you get familiar with your car.
You are going to love this car on the long trips.

I came thru Sarnia today on my way to Chicago from Toronto.
I wanted to avoid the rush hour traffic and construction in Detroit!
Saved a lot of time I'm sure. Charged at Port Huron, Battecreek and lower Chicago. BW hotel right across the street almost.