Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st week with Tesla 3, quality control issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know plenty of people who never travel out of their cities, a nationwide charging network makes no difference to them. Even then senseible families aren't going to base a purchase on the 1 time a year they venture our of their zone. And there are still charging stations all over, maybe just not the ones people here like to use.

Totally agree with the first sentence (see my sig). But how can one manage most of North Dakota/NE Montana (and return) on only super/destination chargers? Those are pretty much out of range of any Tesla (maybe by driving about 10mph the whole way lol).
Stay with friends/family, carry with you a dryer plug on the end of 80' of 8/3 wire, screwdrivers, pliers, and an assortment popular brands of 50A breakers. :cool: ((EDIT: Correction, 40A breakers. 50A continuous load like a charging probably should use 6ga and that's getting heavy to carry, plus I forgot the new mobile plug-in cable only allows 32A nominal anyway.))

Not even joking btw. That really is my plan for when I first visit family on the Canadian prairies, after the first of the planned Trans Canada SCs go in between Calgary and Ontario that'll get me within one-way range.

Last edited:
Stay with friends/family, carry a dryer plug on the end of 80' of 8/3 wire, screwdrivers, pliers, and an assortment popular brands of 50A breakers with you. :cool:

Not even joking btw. That really is my plan when I first visit family on the Canadian prairies, after the first of the planned Trans Canada SCs go in between Calgary and Ontario.
True. But the post I was responding to was specific to the Supercharger network making visiting the entire US possible. Not the wire/wirecutter/black electrical tape network :) .

We have a BMW and an Audi and their dealerships have never provided "concierge" level service. The only thing that separates the luxury dealerships than your Toyota or Honda dealership is the waiting area is much nicer. Note I have not had issues with either, but I think folks are going a little overboard in their comparisons here.

Agreed. I've owned BMW's for over 20 years and have never once received what people are calling "concierge" here. Nice waiting rooms, check. Loaners, check. Rentals (cost covered) when loaners are not available, check.

We have a BMW and an Audi and their dealerships have never provided "concierge" level service. The only thing that separates the luxury dealerships than your Toyota or Honda dealership is the waiting area is much nicer. Note I have not had issues with either, but I think folks are going a little overboard in their comparisons here.
Don't forget the "premium" free coffee.

Stay with friends/family, carry with you a dryer plug on the end of 80' of 8/3 wire, screwdrivers, pliers, and an assortment popular brands of 50A breakers. :cool: ((EDIT: Correction, 40A breakers. 50A continuous load like a charging probably should use 6ga and that's getting heavy to carry, plus I forgot the new mobile plug-in cable only allows 32A nominal anyway.))

Not even joking btw. That really is my plan for when I first visit family on the Canadian prairies, after the first of the planned Trans Canada SCs go in between Calgary and Ontario that'll get me within one-way range.

Sounds like my set-up. I used 50 amp breakers but had the car manage it actually: the breaker's just a fail-safe. I used it once, while visiting near Canada in upper Washington state. Still have it, rolled up on my shelf. And yes, it's heavy. But I used 30 feet of wire. I can drive on lawns to get close. And I did.

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire