Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.0 / 2.5 Roadster / Roadster Sport Tire Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I call bullocks on tire expansion issues front and rear.

It would take an extreme difference in construction to change the expansion rate to a significant degree. Example, A tire with two stabilizing belts rather than three or a tire with floating sidewall plies vs. no floating plies. Tires with these kinds of construction differences would also have different revolutions per mile.

The main reason you want matching tires is so the revolutions the tire makes are the same side to side at normal temperatures thats why you replace them both you dont want a 50% worn tire on the left and a new tire on the right that will lead to different circumferences in tires regardless of heat expansion. This is why you also dont mix tire brands or models side to side. Tires with the same 195/35 sizing from two different manufactures will have different circumferences in addition to different grips. Matching different tires front to back will make no difference to TC in regards to heat expansion if they work cold they will work hot.

Correct.

Sure you can get left-right differences. You can get a couple of PSI difference with the sun shining on one side of the car while it is parked. That sort of thing would be noticed in a race car driving at the limit of grip, but not under normal driving circumstances - that takes a bigger difference.

The other day I had occasion to drive someone else's car, and it felt really wrong. The handling was weird, and on the highway it kicked sideways when you hit the gas! Figured it out pretty quickly... somebody didn't check his tire inflation. The left rear was 12 psi low!!! Now that is noticeable, if not downright dangerous.

FWIW, I don't really buy the tire expansion thing either.

My understanding is that the AD07's (and A048's) are the only tires that are "officially approved", which is why they are the only types stocked.

When my current set of rears wear out I'm planning on putting AD08's on, so I'd be very interested to hear your opinion after driving on them.

Edit: What dsm363 said...
You're correct I believe. I typed 'have tested' and meant to type 'haven't tested' different tires for front and back on same car.
That said, I'm going with AD08s on back next time. No need to donate $200 more to tires if it makes no difference for street driving.

Sure you can get left-right differences. You can get a couple of PSI difference with the sun shining on one side of the car while it is parked. That sort of thing would be noticed in a race car driving at the limit of grip, but not under normal driving circumstances - that takes a bigger difference.

Actually, I can tell that kind of difference (2-3 psi) in the Prius. However, I'm probably more sensitive to tires than most people. When I drove the Land Rover Series III, I could tell a one psi difference (but I was a lot younger then :smile:)

Due some new tires soon - 7K miles again out of the rears :smile:

Considering swapping from the AD07 LTS to AD08s but they seem out of stock with no delivery dates in the UK so thinking of other options.

One area the Yokhama tires are weak on is the wet grip, not surprising really as they are really track day tires. Reading a few reviews I am tempted to trade off a bit of dry grip for wet performance - see this review for example 2010 EVO Tyre Test | the online tyre guide Also I can not help but notice how many accidents reported on this site involve wet road conditions.

Are those of you who have moved away from the Yoko tyres been impressed by better wet performance / braking & is it worth the loss in ultimate dry grip?

Are those of you who have moved away from the Yoko tyres been impressed by better wet performance / braking & is it worth the loss in ultimate dry grip?

I'm currently running the now-obsolete Toyo T1Rs. I can't say there's a dramatic difference, but they might be slightly better in the wet. They don't have quite the same dry grip as the AD07, but for some reason you notice it more on cornering than on acceleration.

I still have the original AD07's on the front. But on the rear I've had a couple of pairs of AD07's, a pair of Proxes 4's, and now I have Continental Extreme Contact DWS. Whoa nelly, do they have better grip in the wet. I can floor it on wet pavement and the TC light usually doesn't come on (base model, standard mode). Supposedly these DWS tires also kick serious butt in snow (at least when new), although I haven't had a chance to try that.

There is some loss of dry grip. In fact it seems like I get the TC light more often on dry pavement than wet, although I don't see how that can be possible. It doesn't always come on, and it doesn't stay on long. Is that worth it? Depends on what kind of weather you get, and how you drive. I feel I can drive with more abandon in wet conditions (when I used to just drive carefully), but now I can't count on max acceleration when dry.

Thoughts on all three tires (note that all thoughts are based on street driving; I have not been to the track):

AD07: Best dry grip. Great handling. Gotta change 'em a lot. Not especially quiet or smooth.
Proxes 4's: Almost-as-good dry grip (not quite); but somewhat worse than the AD07 in wet (despite being all-season--this surprised me). A little quieter, with a slightly smoother ride. Cheaper to buy, and lasted twice as long. Handling did suffer a bit (most notable when driving on freeway ruts), but then I still had AD07's on the front; putting Proxes on all four tires probably would have helped.
Extreme Contact DWS: Definitely less dry grip than the AD07's, and even the Proxes 4's. But awesome wet/snow grip. Not as quiet and smooth as the Proxes 4's; probably similar to the AD07's (but almost a year passed between the two, so it's hard to compare). Handling is similar, but probably a tiny bit worse than the Proxes 4's, although again I'm still running AD07 on the front. About the same price as the Proxes 4's, but should last 75% longer.

If you live where it's always dry or always wet, the choice may be simple. But if you have a dry season and a rainy season, I think it would come down to choices like the following:

If you bought the Roadster because it's a sports car and you want to always have the best grip (and are willing to give up some time and money to get it), get an extra set of wheels and run AD07's (or AD08's) in the summer, and Contact DWS in the winter.
If you bought the Roadster because it's electric, and you just want cheap, simple and safe (and are willing to give up a little performance to get it), get a full set of Contact DWS.
Somewhere in between, if you don't need perfect grip or the cheapest solution, but you do want great dry traction to demo the car and nice general driving characteristics, and you'd rather drive carefully in wet than swap wheels twice a year, the Proxes 4's make sense.

Last edited:
ChadS - thanks for that.

I had thought about having 2 sets of tires / wheels for different seasons. We dont really get much snow in the UK but plenty of rain so a "winter" set that performs well in the rain such as the continentals makes some sense. Given however the tire pressure monitoring stuff it might be easier to keep one set of wheels and swap the tires? If you have different wheels you will need a Tesla ranger to reset the TPMS?

Every time you mount or demount a tire you risk damaging it. The damage usually occurs on the inside where you can't see it. You also have to pay for rebalancing and mounting each time. Extra wheels are always the way to go.

If you're not near a Tesla service center you can "borrow" the TMPS gadget from Tesla to set up your wheels, but it would be a bit tedious to do that twice a year. It's also possible to purchase the gadget from them.

I've taken the approach of NOT installing TPMS sensors in the second set of wheels. You just have to be prepared to ignore the inevitable BRAP BRAP BRAP and error message - and the somewhat annoying loss of the left-arrow button on the VDS.

Funnily enough I often got "Tire Pressure Low" messages when backing out of my garage. That's because the TPMS sensors were in the other set of tires sitting on the rack in my garage, and they got low due to the cold temperatures.

• Funny
Reactions: DeedWest
I've taken the approach of NOT installing TPMS sensors in the second set of wheels. You just have to be prepared to ignore the inevitable BRAP BRAP BRAP and error message - and the somewhat annoying loss of the left-arrow button on the VDS.

A lot of tire shops in the US won't install tires now without TPMS sensors if your car originally had them. I now have 2 sets of wheels but can't see any reasonable way to use them. I'm too far from any service center and would get sick of the d@mn warning message for half the year. I'd buy my own tool but Tesla wants $800 for it.

Just so you know, that is apparently the going price for said tools. I'd see about getting a second set of rims and tires but I don't want to have to buy the TPMS sensors and have them on the same frequency and ID that the roadster's current ones are.

I am getting a set of Toyos today. The Cooper tires that I was using work great for in-town driving, but they are slow. (I guess that it has to do with the 380 rating.)

I've had the MPSS on the rears for 4000 miles now with no problems (AD07's on the front). It has a better wear rating and performed nicely during the massive rains we've had recently.

I called Tire Rack yesterday and spoke with a guy with considerable knowledge about high performance tires. I asked what the difference might be between the AD08, AD07, and Mich Pilot Super Sport on a Tesla Roadster with AD07s on the front. First he said "it's not ideal [mixing front and back]." He said the AD08 would be at least as good or slightly better than the AD07 with better tread wear, and the PSS would be "comparable" to the AD08, "you would probably not notice any difference except better wet performance and much longer tread life" with the PSS. I asked about future availability for the fronts in either AD08 or PSS and after checking both he said "I don't see either one coming in that size this year."

FWIW I recommend taking it with a grain of salt until you try it. But I wanted to report what he said.

I've had the MPSS on the rears for 4000 miles now with no problems (AD07's on the front). It has a better wear rating and performed nicely during the massive rains we've had recently.

Really!? :love:I've been trying to find somebody with this setup! (Mich Pilot Super Sports on rear w/ AD07 front). Can you give us a more detailed report on how they perform on dry pavement compared to AD07s on the rear? I'm putting the MPSS on in 2 days...
TIA.

edit: Augie do you have the Pilot Sport A/S or the Pilot Super Sports? There appears to be a big difference. thanks.

Last edited:
I got the Super Sports - it's a summer tire with a wear rating of 300 vs the AD07's of 180. The Sport A/S is an all-season tire with a wear rating of 500 - I would imagine that for your fall/winter/spring seasons the A/S would be a better bet. It's pretty dry here so all-seasons aren't really needed here. I've seen my 0-60 times increase by 0.1-0.2 sec (PocketDyno on iPhone) but I primarily use the car for my commute so I'm ok trading off tire wear for a little slower acceleration. I think that the A/S would slow you down even more so be aware that a high wear rating usually means that your tires will be less "sticky".

Really!? :love:I've been trying to find somebody with this setup! (Mich Pilot Super Sports on rear w/ AD07 front). Can you give us a more detailed report on how they perform on dry pavement compared to AD07s on the rear? I'm putting the MPSS on in 2 days...
TIA.

edit: Augie do you have the Pilot Sport A/S or the Pilot Super Sports? There appears to be a big difference. thanks.

I've seen my 0-60 times increase by 0.1-0.2 sec (PocketDyno on iPhone) but I primarily use the car for my commute so I'm ok trading off tire wear for a little slower acceleration. I think that the A/S would slow you down even more so be aware that a high wear rating usually means that your tires will be less "sticky".

It's not the decreased acceleration switching to a less sticky tire in the rear you should be worried about its the increased oversteer your adding to the vehicle. That 1000lb over the rear wheels is going to swing around real fast when it breaks loose. Looking at the bright side the more roadsters that get totaled increases my roadsters value.... so its not all bad... ;)

It's not the decreased acceleration switching to a less sticky tire in the rear you should be worried about its the increased oversteer your adding to the vehicle. That 1000lb over the rear wheels is going to swing around real fast when it breaks loose. Looking at the bright side the more roadsters that get totaled increases my roadsters value.... so its not all bad... ;)

I don't think this is an issue if the TC is on. Plus the stock suspension (and default for the adjustable suspension) has a huge amount of understeer dialed in. I've loosened my front sway bar and it still understeers.

I put the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the rear today with AD07's on the front. They're not broken in yet but my first impressions are quite good. TC does not come on at all in full acceleration. It feels almost the same as having AD07s on all 4. Maybe slightly less under-steer, but so close it's hard to say. I'll give a more detailed report after they're broken in at 500 mi or so. These are guaranteed for 15,000 mi on a Roadster and 30k mi on a car with the same size tires front and rear.

Yesterday Tesla installed Toyo's entry level performance DRBs ( 225/45R17 91W) on the my rear wheels. I was just dying to experiment with something cheaper and quieter than the $440 installation included that Tesla Japan charges the stock Yokos. The DRBs cost just $130 each + about $60 per wheel for Tesla to install. Unfortunately it would not appear that Toyo sells these tires in the U.S.

TOYO DRB | Toyo Tires

I can report so far that I'm happy both with how quiet these tires are as well as they seem to grip very well both off the line and in mildly aggressive cornering. I don't want to go too crazy with these quite yet before they are broken in, but I'm definitely looking forward to doing more testing soon.