Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.0 / 2.5 Roadster / Roadster Sport Tire Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally put the AD08s on the rears with AD07s on the front. Haven't done any high speed driving but for normal highway driving I don't see much difference. Cheaper too.

I'm on my second set of AD08 rears. Still have the original AD07's on the front (although they spent a year in my basement while I was using another brand front and rear). The AD08's work just fine.

Top speed of Tesla Roadster: 125mph. W speed rating: 168 mph I don't see the problem w/ a W speed rated tire since it exceeds the car's top speed.

If in doubt then stick w/ AD07's all the way around but that is the most expensive route. In the end it's up to you. That's that this forum is for - to learn form the experiences of others. It's up to you what you want to do with that info.

Good points - in the end I went with a very low cost tire; Dunlop Direzza DZ101s and only replaced the rears. My Wife says she thinks they feel faster but she is probably comparing to the Winter tires. I drive like an old lady, in fact slower than an old lady it seems as I got honked at by an old lady yesterday for driving too slowly (apparently I took too long to pull out into traffic - it was a "visibility issue")

For anyone interested I now have the AD07s on the front and the DZ101s on the back. TC is quite happy and handling seems fine so far. I might take the car to the track later in the year and I'll maybe get a better feel for these tires.

Thanks

Good points - in the end I went with a very low cost tire; Dunlop Direzza DZ101s and only replaced the rears. My Wife says she thinks they feel faster but she is probably comparing to the Winter tires. I drive like an old lady, in fact slower than an old lady it seems as I got honked at by an old lady yesterday for driving too slowly (apparently I took too long to pull out into traffic - it was a "visibility issue")

For anyone interested I now have the AD07s on the front and the DZ101s on the back. TC is quite happy and handling seems fine so far. I might take the car to the track later in the year and I'll maybe get a better feel for these tires.

Thanks

Thanks for your report. It's interesting to note that tire comes in both the front and rear tire sizes for the roadster. And it's affordable. Wish I could take your car for a spin to see what they feel like.

Thanks for your report. It's interesting to note that tire comes in both the front and rear tire sizes for the roadster. And it's affordable. Wish I could take your car for a spin to see what they feel like.

Another TMC member, who lives near me and has a lot more experience with performance driving, has put the DZ101s on both front and rear. I considered it because they're so affordable and actually on special at TireRack (I think it was $83 per front and $95 per rear) but my reduce/reuse/recycle mentality stopped me wasting the rubber on the still-good fronts. I'll ask this other driver if he has any special comments about the tires with all four new ones.

Also - not sure if this means anything - I compared the tread patterns on the rear DZ101s and the front AD07s and they are very similar indeed. I actually took a photo to post here, but lost it [trying to transfer photos via bluetooth to a non-existent directory on my laptop, oops]. Next time I feel like taking the wheels off, which I have to do for a different reason anyway, I will take another picture. Hopefully before I've completely balded these rears.

Another TMC member, who lives near me and has a lot more experience with performance driving, has put the DZ101s on both front and rear. I considered it because they're so affordable and actually on special at TireRack (I think it was $83 per front and $95 per rear) but my reduce/reuse/recycle mentality stopped me wasting the rubber on the still-good fronts. I'll ask this other driver if he has any special comments about the tires with all four new ones.

Also - not sure if this means anything - I compared the tread patterns on the rear DZ101s and the front AD07s and they are very similar indeed. I actually took a photo to post here, but lost it [trying to transfer photos via bluetooth to a non-existent directory on my laptop, oops]. Next time I feel like taking the wheels off, which I have to do for a different reason anyway, I will take another picture. Hopefully before I've completely balded these rears.

Slackjaw, I'm interested in hearing what your friend has to say, does he have a 1.5 by any chance? I'm ready to buy tires for my 1.5 and judging by the specs, it looks like the Dunlops will work with no TC problems.

Slackjaw, I'm interested in hearing what your friend has to say, does he have a 1.5 by any chance? I'm ready to buy tires for my 1.5 and judging by the specs, it looks like the Dunlops will work with no TC problems.

Sorry for the delay - yes, he has a 1.5 and has not had any problems AFAIK. I'll ask him to weigh in here.

EDIT: I saw from the 1.5 tire thread that you already ordered these tires. So, good luck! I've been throwing the car about a bit in the past week and found the rears to be nice and sticky.

Last edited:
I have AD08's on the back. I received Tesla's oral and written "scolding" when they last serviced my car, but they are running just fine—though they seem to wear down as fast as the AD07's (not surprising really). I will likely keep replacing the rear AD08's until the AD07's on the front need replacing then go with something else entirely.

They just told me, "We can't mount anything but the stock tires". That's fine... I can.

I'm sure their fear is that someone is going to put less-sticky tires on the back and keep the AD07's or A048's up front. That could make the car much more prone to oversteer, and given the Roadster's power and regen braking, both power oversteer and snap oversteer are major concerns.

That's odd. I had my Toyo Proxes 4's drop-shipped to Tesla Menlo and they replaced them during my service. I did do all 4 the same but they were definitely not stock.

Then this last time I came in I had MPSS's on the rear and Toyo's on the front and the service writer simply asked how I liked the Michelin's. No scolding of any kind.

Last edited:
Just got Yokohama W-drive's put on the rear of 992. The Rockville, MD service center put them on for me. The car just turned 25000 miles and this is the second set of winter tires for the rear. Front tires still look great...... Let you know how many miles I get with these. The Pirellis lasted two winters (Nov to April).

Thought I'd pass that along ..........

ordered the PSS....

I like to autocross and have been planing to take the 2.5 out. So wanted a bit more of a performance tire. I was interested to see that R888 are available too in stock size...

Same for me.

I need to replace all four of my tires and I'm planning to drop ship from tirerack.com to a local shop in So Cal. I'm currently thinking about trying the Dunlops on my 2010 Sport 2.0, or perhaps the AD07s and AD08s if I can't get the Dunlops in the front and rear sizes. I've been running AD07s, replaced and mounted by Tesla LA service, but I think I'm good for a change, and keeping some change.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a good So Cal tire shop to jack up a precious Roadster and keeping it to the proper jack points, and just generally a shop that does a good job and would be willing to mount tires that are drop shipped to them from tirerack.com?

- - - Updated - - -

Henry, I am not able to find the Dunlops in the front size (175/55/16). Did you see the DZ101s or some other Dunlop tire in that size? I checked tirerack.com and the Dunlop website.

Henry, I am not able to find the Dunlops in the front size (175/55/16). Did you see the DZ101s or some other Dunlop tire in that size? I checked tirerack.com and the Dunlop website.

The 195/50R16 size fits the front. The physical dimensions are very similar to the Yokos. I'm not sure how Yokohama sizes their tires but their 55 aspect tire size is about the same dimension as most 50's from other manufacturers. The Dunlops weigh about a pound more than the AD07.

Once you buy something for the front you're kind of stuck with it for a while, unlike the rear. That's why I'd like to actually drive on them before I buy the Dunlops. I suppose those are cheap enough you could afford to change them out without losing much if they didn't work out. Hoping you can give us a report when you have them installed and broken in for a few miles.:smile:

I did an autocross this past weekend with my new Dunlop Direzza DZ 101's and was happy with the results. I had not autocrossed the AD07's so I couldn't make a comparison under those circumstances. I think I will have the fronts re-balanced because I do have a little intermittent vibration at freeway speeds. An option would be to just replace the rears if your fronts are still good. I chose not to do that because I was afraid I might get an unsafe oversteer situation with that combination? I decided to play it safe and buy all four Dunlops and at the price, it wasn't too hard to make that decision.:biggrin: I am running the 195/50R16 on the front. I would buy these tires again. My car is a 1.5 but I think if the tires work on my car, they should be fine on the 2.0 and 2.5? By the way, it seems that most of my tire squeal has disappeared, probably due to the mold release agent wearing off?

Last edited: