Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.0 / 2.5 Roadster / Roadster Sport Tire Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. In fact TireRack just shipped me another pair of AD08's.

Since the Roadster is now more of a weekend car for me, I'll probably go with the AD08s since they are cheaper too. Are you pretty happy with the traction on the AD08s vs. the 07's in rain as well? I think they are supposed to be better anyway. I got 7,000 miles on my AD07s so don't drive it as hard. Still have a few thousand miles to go on the fronts at 14,000 miles (6mm tread depth I think).

Okay, my AD08 rears are spent. They lasted 8,500 km (5400 miles). That's about 50% better than the AD07s.
My (original) AD07 fronts have approximately 20,000 km on them (they were off the car for about 10,000 km while I was using T1Rs) and they still have plenty of wear left.
(Yeah, I have a heavy foot.)

I'll say. Nobody accuses me of driving too slowly. I wore my rear AD07s out in under 6000 miles. The AD08s I replaced them with have gone over 8000 miles and still have tread left.

When these wear out I'll consider the MPSS. Getting 2 for the price of 1 seems like a good deal, if the reports that we're not sacrificing performance are true.

Are you pretty happy with the traction on the AD08s vs. the 07's in rain as well? I think they are supposed to be better anyway.

Yes, if anything they are better in rain than the AD07s.

I'll say. Nobody accuses me of driving too slowly. I wore my rear AD07s out in under 6000 miles. The AD08s I replaced them with have gone over 8000 miles and still have tread left.

When these wear out I'll consider the MPSS. Getting 2 for the price of 1 seems like a good deal, if the reports that we're not sacrificing performance are true.

Those are indeed excellent tires; I have them on my G37. I guess you're thinking of putting them only on the rear?

Well, I haven't looked at the fronts lately, so it is possible that I'll need to replace both. I'm just always watching the rears. I guess you're not recommending replacing only the rears with MPSS, but also the fronts?

Do they make the front tires in the correct size? I thought the only tires that fit the front wheels exactly were the AD07s.

Well, I haven't looked at the fronts lately, so it is possible that I'll need to replace both. I'm just always watching the rears. I guess you're not recommending replacing only the rears with MPSS, but also the fronts?
MPSS's aren't available in either front size. When I wear out my Proxes 4's I'm going to try the MPSS on the rear as I'm nervous about the Proxes 4+ not having enough grip. I'll leave the Proxes 4's on the front.

FWIW, C&D did a tire comparison on a Nissan Leaf recently, and the Yokohama AD08s gave the same skidpad performance (0.89 g) as the A048s. So, if you're not tracking the car I don't think it makes sense to get the 048s.

I find that hard to believe. My Roadster definitely turns much better with A048's. Mind you, they were doing the test with a Nissan Leaf... not exactly designed for high G maneuvers. Maybe that neutralizes tire differences!

Well, they got a 0.18 increase in skidpad g-forces just with which tires they used, so hard to say tires didn't make a difference.

From reading the story (not just watching the video, fun as it is), the 048s would seem to hold up better at higher temps and when pushed super-hard. As I'm sure you know, the problem we consumers have with comparing tires is that we end up comparing a worn out previous tire to a new tire. So even if you replace your tires with the same model, the results seem impressive.

As I'm sure you know, the problem we consumers have with comparing tires is that we end up comparing a worn out previous tire to a new tire. So even if you replace your tires with the same model, the results seem impressive.

Yes, but I've compared AD07's with lots of tread remaining to brand-new A048's, because I now have two sets of wheels. And I was doing autocross. With the AD07's I get a lot of push in the corners, even having dialed down the understeer via the adjustable suspension. With the A048's it's like I was driving an entirely different car, and it makes a significant difference in cornering speed.

the problem we consumers have with comparing tires is that we end up comparing a worn out previous tire to a new tire. So even if you replace your tires with the same model, the results seem impressive.

That's certainly true, but it's also true that the tires may have been upgraded silently. So they could be impressive because they are better.

That's certainly true, but it's also true that the tires may have been upgraded silently. So they could be impressive because they are better.

I find it interesting that many of you have reported 7 to 12k miles on your original rear AD07s, mostly on the west coast. But almost nobody on the east coast ever got more than 3 - 4k before they were at the wear bars. It doesn't sound like we're driving much different than the left coast. Either they're making the Yoko AD07s softer now than they were a couple years ago, or something else is different in the East.

I find it interesting that many of you have reported 7 to 12k miles on your original rear AD07s, mostly on the west coast. But almost nobody on the east coast ever got more than 3 - 4k before they were at the wear bars. It doesn't sound like we're driving much different than the left coast. Either they're making the Yoko AD07s softer now than they were a couple years ago, or something else is different in the East.
Road composition? You all are maniacal leadfoots? :)

OK, I need new rear tires again, so I spent another hour in this thread.

I'm thinking to get the AD08s again and be done. I've gotten about 10K on the AD08s compared to not even 6K on the AD07s, but that's obviously not scientific.

I'm tempted to get the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, but reviews here peg them as not quite a sticky in the dry. One question: Tire rack also lists "Michelin Pilot Sports" tires in 2 variations:

MPSS

MPS PS2

MPS PS2 ZP

The last ones are run-flat. They weigh a couple pounds more than the Yokos, but 4 lbs more than the regular MPSS. The MPS PS2 don't have the treadwear the MPSS's have, which is sometimes an indicator of better performance.

Anyone compare the Yokos (AD07 or AD08) to the Michelin Pilot Sports PS2?

I have MPSS for my Infiniti. They are good all-round summer performance tires, quite good in dry and wet conditions (but terrifying on snow). Not sure if they're as sticky as the Yokohamas.

Personally I'd go with the AD08's. Seem to work just as well as the AD07's and are a good bargain.