Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2,000 Full Self Driving upgrade now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my Tesla account. I purchased enhanced autopilot and took delivery in August, 2018.

Attachments

• 20190305_223852.jpg
    20190305_223852.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 237
As I posted in another thread, it's still not showing up for me, which is quite a bummer. I had an EAP trial, though, which had changed the price from $4,000 to $3,500, so I think it needs to get that out of the system then I will hopefully see the new prices so I can buy it

I'm not paying $2,000 now for vaporware that may potentially decrease in price in the future. Plus, I'm already quite nervous now using EAP on the freeway, and the auto lane changing on NavOnAutopilot is not trustworthy for me. It would take a lot of huevos to trust FSD in city traffic.

My question is, does the $2,000 upgrade include the upgrade to HW3? If I don't do anything, will my old EAP and HW-whatever continue to be supported?

I'm not paying $2,000 now for vaporware that may potentially decrease in price in the future. Plus, I'm already quite nervous now using EAP on the freeway, and the auto lane changing on NavOnAutopilot is not trustworthy for me. It would take a lot of huevos to trust FSD in city traffic.

My question is, does the $2,000 upgrade include the upgrade to HW3? If I don't do anything, will my old EAP and HW-whatever continue to be supported?
I think that is the big question. While Musk said anyone with FSD will get HW3 free of charge, I am not sure I trust this new FSD to include HW3. IMO, HW3 is worth the 2K, but will not pull the trigger unless Musk comes out and says anyone who purchases FSD now includes HW3. If all FSD includes is NOA with auto lane change, Enhanced Summon, and stop light/sign sensing, then I am out. BUT, if it includes HW3, I am in like Flynn.

I think that is the big question. While Musk said anyone with FSD will get HW3 free of charge, I am not sure I trust this new FSD to include HW3. IMO, HW3 is worth the 2K, but will not pull the trigger unless Musk comes out and says anyone who purchases FSD now includes HW3. If all FSD includes is NOA with auto lane change, Enhanced Summon, and stop light/sign sensing, then I am out. BUT, if it includes HW3, I am in like Flynn.

This describes me too. I dont want the new features without the new hardware.. and musks statement of "includes HW3 long term" scares me. What exactly is "long term" to tesla in terms of putting HW 3 in for people who purchase FSD now? Will they determine that they can provide those software features "decently enough" on HW 2.5 that I have and other NEW features for something else on HW3 (like dash cam and sentry mode have the hardware gate)?

2k is worth it for me for parts and labor for the new hardware upgrade to go along with new software. Its not worth it for me for the current spec of seeing lights on city streets. I know at some point there WILL be a gate on "this is available on HW 3 and newer"... thats how software development and deployment tends to work. I just dont know when that gate comes, but I am virtually certain it would be during my prospective ownership of this car, which is likely going to be 5-6 years give or take.

I want the new hardware to push that gate further out. For ME I see the price as 2k for the hardware, with the software features thrown in for free. If THATS what it is, I am in. If its just the promise of the software features, I am not.

Frankly, what I am afraid of, is that Eventually Tesla draws another line in the sand as says "everyone that purchased FSD for the original price of 3k gets the new hardware, those who purchased during the promotional period get the software features we found a way to make work on hw 2.5".

I have no proof of that, its just a feeling (and that would make the people who pre purchased FSD happy, seeing as they now would "get something others did not" for their extra 1k that tesla did not refund).

Elon: "It’s not exactly symmetric, but it will come with HW3 upgrade long-term" in response to "So people who did not buy Autopilot get AP+FSD for $5k. People who paid $5k for EAP already have to give $2k more for FSD. Does not seem fair."

This worries me as well....what does that mean, "FSD comes with HW3 ugprade long-term"? Maybe just that you can purchase it now, FSD software updates will start to roll out, and sometime later FSD purchasers will get free HW3 upgrades?

Is there any rhyme or reason to Tesla applying sales tax to the total? I thought I read somewhere that Tesla hasn't (in the past?) added sales tax for software-only purchases. Maybe not the case, but what if that's still the case, what if the sales tax is added because it includes hardware (?)

Either way, pulled the trigger.

Reactions: asianxtreme
If HW3 comes with FSD, then it needs to be included in the description of the Purchase. It needs to be added to the list of things FSD comes which include Enhanced Summon and NoA City Driving, etc. The fact that it is NOT included is what is worrying to me. The only thing they are responsible to, from a contractual perspective, is Software only features.

If HW3 comes with FSD, then it needs to be included in the description of the Purchase. It needs to be added to the list of things FSD comes which include Enhanced Summon and NoA City Driving, etc. The fact that it is NOT included is what is worrying to me. The only thing they are responsible to, from a contractual perspective, is Software only features.
Very good point.

I have been wondering the same about HW3. Assuming it is included for the 2K, my understanding is that it provides significantly greater precision. What would be the practical advantages of that, and would it require a fork in the software development, so different software versions based on the hardware, or - if 2.5 do this, else do that?

I understand and agree with what's been said here. I'm in the same boat - purchased EAP for $5k at purchase and now seeing $2k FSD option.

But can we just all just pause and think of the simple facts? Tesla isn't going to sell something for $2k and shell out $2.5k (or whatever number) to install HW3. The more FSD they sell, the more money they lose? Doesn't make sense.

They're not going to do this just to keep "old" customers happy. In addition, HW3 is going to cost significantly higher than $2k when considering labor time to install. Also consider how many retrofits have to occur - like 20-40k model 3s?

The only logical conclusion is either (1) FSD is only a software update on HW2.5 cars or (2) HW3 costs significantly less $2k which means it's not really worth it anyways. Number 1 seems by far most likely.

For those reasons, I'm waiting on the $2k. I don't believe Tesla is pricing it as such just to jack up the price later. They're doing it because they need the cash now and it'll make them a profit.

• Informative
Reactions: Timmy T.