Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 battery replacements in less than a year. (Model s performance)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had experience with multiple HV battery failures in the same vehicle? If so did tesla offer some sort of compensation or remedy?
My 2019 model s Raven performance is great, when it works. I bought it from tesla preowned, it was in their leased fleet.
I owned it for about 2 months before a sudden hv failure that left me stranded out of state at a super charger.

The repair took Over 2 months so at one point my car was in the shop for the majority of ownership forcing me to drive an ice rental. I got the car back and drove it for another 6 months with nothing other than a weird problem causing my hatch to dent my bumper (they replaced it) and having the half shafts replaced for vibration.

The second failure happened on the way to work. I got a pull over error, the car went into limp mode allowing me to make it to the office form there it would turn on but not let me put it in gear. Tesla sent me a loaner that time at least but kept the car for another 2 months replacing the battery. Out of 1 year of ownership its been in the shop about 4 months of that time.

insult to injury: when they gave me the car back the front bumper had been damaged (by the tow truck according to them) so how the didnt notice the large scuffs on both sides of the bumper and were content to let me go on my merry way before i pointed it out. There was no arguement and they said they would replace the bumper but put in a request to reimburse burse me for notes paid while in service or to do a buy back so the service manger Wanted to wait for the response for management to that request before replacing the bumper, to top it off My trunk latch went out last week so they sent a mobile tech out to replace it.

There are a few people on here who have had lemons that Tesla purchased back from them, but it does not seem to be that common. You definitely have had a string of bad luck though.

As for service problems, that seems more likely. I think they are trying to see how many people notice their problems. If they don't notice or call them out on it, they get away with it. In some cases they simply buckle like a belt and do the right thing immediately. I've had that on two occasions where they initially wanted to charge me for in-warranty work until I pointed this out to them. Cars may also be delivered with notable flaws - fixed under warranty after the sale, but I'm guessing they'd rather do that than sell a car in perfect working order.

My 2015 had a door handle LED, steering rack shims, and half-shafts/clevis mount replaced immediately after I bought it from them. My 2019 came with an obvious blown rear shock.

I think of these like mail in rebates. They offer a premium product that they say meets a standard of quality (awesome price after rebate!) This requires good , costly QA. Instead, they build them to a slightly lower overall quality and then hope that a portion of the customer base just doesn't follow through with having any issues addressed (people don't mail in the rebate, or the rebate gets "lost" in the mail). That's my tinfoil conspiracy thought anyway.