Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery/repair replacement Companies in the PNW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I am interested in purchasing a Model Y With roughly 50k miles on it, but the only thing that is holding me back is the insane costs of battery replacements- Ideally I plan on keeping the car for well over a decade (ideally..) However encase the battery does go out, are there any Auto shops in Portland, Oregon OR Seattle that can replace/repair the battery in my area that you could recommend?

I've watched a few videos on people having to replace their battery 2-3 times on youtube, reddit, etc. And Well coming into this EV space is quite daunting when looking at those repair costs.

Any additional information would be appreciated :)

-C

These batteries last an extremely long time, especially in the gen 3 cars (3/Y, 2021 S/X). You can expect at least 500k miles from those newer packs.

The issues you'll see most commonly with the older packs had to do with some of the power electronics in the pack and not the battery cells themselves. I'd happily buy a Y at any mileage and you should be good for a very long time.
Check my flair, I've got two Teslas with pretty high mileage and no issues.

In the PNW we have Medlock & Sons that will work on HV roadster batteries. No idea if they plan to expand to S/X or 3/Y packs, but they'd probably be the most likely to do it in the future. Independent Tesla Service Center in Seattle, Washington

Since those newer cars so infrequently have HV battery issues there's just not a huge market for it yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX and Rocky_H
I don’t think battery replacement is a thing most owners ever have to worry about but there are extended warranties on the market if you feel the need.
I’m looking at X Care because there are so many systems in the MX, if also covers the battery but if it was a la carte I might skip the battery part.

@Cgracej I'm going to reiterate what @supergeek said:
The issues you'll see most commonly with the older packs had to do with some of the power electronics in the pack and not the battery cells themselves.
It's mainly the old S and X (particularly S) that were having a lot of battery failures, and it was mostly because of some bad design choices that made them vulnerable to moisture intrusion and corrosion. There aren't likely to be nearly the failures on those as there were on the first few years of the S, because they've figured out and corrected those design mistakes.

I am in Boise and I have a 2014 Model S85 that I expect may fail to this in the next few years. For mine, I am fine to just use a company called Recell in Texas for my battery replacement that runs about $10K. That price also includes the shipping of the car to their shop, so it doesn't really matter that they are not close to here. They also do battery replacements for 3 and Y as well, and are still significantly cheaper than through Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX