Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 days till order deadline - suspension choice still difficult

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@jmsurpri Awe man, don't tell me that! ;)

Anyone here who actually likes or "loves" the SAS?
I had it on my first S, loved it enough to get it again. Here in flat FL I had idea how often it would be really useful! I've driven one with coils and could tell immediately. As I'm also 50ish, I'm not into that anymore. Give me a cloud to ride.

I just picked up my P90D and it has SAS. I read a ton about the coils v the SAS as I didn't want to have a super floaty ride. I drove the P85+ but nothing since on coils. I didn't mind the SAS at all on our 1,300mi road trip. I was quite surprised because I race cars and love performance suspension but the SAS felt very nice. Yes you can hear the air and yes it is something that can go wrong down the line. One thing that I needed SAS for was a few superchargers where they had the parking stops at them because the P90D was actually too low to back up far enough at two of them so I had to raise it and then at another we had to pull in and there was a block up front. If I didn't have SAS I would have had to get a bit creative.

Am I losing performance and feel, likely, but also folks this is a 6,000 lb car, which is what a 2010 Chevy Silverado weighs. The low battery pack will keep you "grounded to the ground" but at the end of the day it is a big car. If you live in a city with junk roads, get SAS. If you have a steep driveway or lots of speed bumps get SAS. Also, if you ever want to upgrade to a 100 or greater battery when available you need SAS.

If you plan on keeping for 10 years and worry about air get coils.

I really want that performance feel, but you're right this is a heavy vehicle, there's just no way around it.

I just picked up my P90D and it has SAS. I read a ton about the coils v the SAS as I didn't want to have a super floaty ride. I drove the P85+ but nothing since on coils. I didn't mind the SAS at all on our 1,300mi road trip. I was quite surprised because I race cars and love performance suspension but the SAS felt very nice. Yes you can hear the air and yes it is something that can go wrong down the line. One thing that I needed SAS for was a few superchargers where they had the parking stops at them because the P90D was actually too low to back up far enough at two of them so I had to raise it and then at another we had to pull in and there was a block up front. If I didn't have SAS I would have had to get a bit creative.

Am I losing performance and feel, likely, but also folks this is a 6,000 lb car, which is what a 2010 Chevy Silverado weighs. The low battery pack will keep you "grounded to the ground" but at the end of the day it is a big car. If you live in a city with junk roads, get SAS. If you have a steep driveway or lots of speed bumps get SAS. Also, if you ever want to upgrade to a 100 or greater battery when available you need SAS.

The P85+ has no control, for coils. No basis of comparison, because no such car was offered. Not that racers don't know a fat sway from an air ride, but others having a positive impression from P85+, or early P85D SAS, may just as well be expressing a preference for those cars ~26mm sway bars.

5,000, not 6,000 pounds. Test drives, not the internet, are where it's at.

The P85+ has no control, for coils. No basis of comparison, because no such car was offered. Not that racers don't know a fat sway from an air ride, but others having a positive impression from P85+, or early P85D SAS, may just as well be expressing a preference for those cars ~26mm sway bars.

5,000, not 6,000 pounds. Test drives, not the internet, are where it's at.

The comparison isn't there and that's why I said I don't have one. The test drive is where it is at. People argue about this all day.

Actually the P90D is 5,800 lbs so I rounded up because include my weight in the calculation.

There is a difference between SAS and coils that is for sure. On the same car, I cannot say that I would feel it in regard to the Model S. I love my SAS.

IMG_20161016_180121.jpg

Thank you!