Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 days till order deadline - suspension choice still difficult

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've ordered a 90D. Need to finalize in 2 days. Pretty much have our final config except suspension. It may seem impossible but we have been unable to get a air suspension and coil car at the same location to test in all of Southern Calif. Is that possible? I'd love to A/B the coil / air over the same roads and conditions. I've read all the numerous threads on the subject and realize this is a very subjective choice

We are in our 50's and 60's. We value the comfort in the ride more than performance. We don't have a steep driveway to traverse. Seems like the more performance oriented tend to coils, the comfort crowd to air. But a fair amount of people seem to think it's a very close call

I'm still hoping to test drive both if they ever find the cars.

So convince me which way to go, given our circumstances.

If you know of a location in So Cal where both types of cars are, let me know

Of course, I could delay the order, but would prefer not to

2,500 still real money to me, tho just a small % on a car that will be about 100k

are you getting 19 or 21" wheels?

we had 21" inch on our previous S60 with coils, and now 21" on a P90DL with air. the difference is very small IMHO. we've only had the new car for 2 weeks and 600 miles, but i have already decided that if we ever have to order another one (this time we didn't order - it was an inventory car), we will be skipping air suspension.

for sure the air is "cushier", more like a mercedes S-class floating feel. but the coil was not harsh in any way and felt more connected to the road in my opinion. i really don't think there was a big difference, and that was with 21's. so on 19's i would imagine the difference to be pretty negligible. but perhaps some 19" S owners can chime in if they've owned both.

we are in San Diego also - nice roads. we don't have a steep driveway either. i have not touched the air suspension settings and probably never will in the 2 years i will have this leased car.

anyway, that's my 2c. good luck with your decision!

In my experience, the suspensions on the Model S (coil or air) aren't as forgiving as they are on my Audis (something professional reviews have also noticed). For example, the air suspension on my Audi S7 was much more forgiving then my new Model S with air suspension. And that was with my Audi S7 using lower profile tires.

I purchased my Model S with the air suspension and 19" tires, and haven't looked back. As someone approaching 50, anything that minimizes the jolts/bumps/etc, the better.

Reactions: Btrflyl8e
Have Air Suspension. I would get it again. Biggest benefits have been avoiding bottoming out when going over certain speed bumps, steep driveways, and driving in heavy rain (standing water). The steep driveway I deal with the most is entrance to niece's school. No way to avoid it, so Air Suspension has been GREAT. On days that I take/pick her up, it's great that the car automatically raises and lowers itself.

Afert posting this, and reading elsewhere on the forum, I now see that the much awaited Elon Musk announcement for tomorrow has been pushed back to Wednesday. So I now doubt my deadline for finalizing my order for Tuesday will actually happen. I'm inclined to cancel to hear the announcement before finalizing an order. Tho the announcement may not even be relevant to my order, I'd be sick if I ordered one day before they announced something of material interest with respect to the MS
Maybe I'll be able to do the coil vs air test then anyways

I think you will be happy either way. I've driven both (have air myself) and probably wouldn't think about otherwise. But being offered, you have to think about it.

Coils. Boom, just work and you will never hear an air compressor raising the car, or air bleeding off to lower car.

Air, since you can raise and lower, and the car remembers via GPS, you can have the car rise for dips anywhere on your route. So I have multiple points around town that the car rises as I get close to a nasty dip - plenty of gashes in the asphalt, and non of them mine.

So think about where you drive daily, not just your own drive. If there are multiple spots between your home and the store where you find yourself creeping over a dip to not bottom out, then air is great.

Oh, I'd push.back my order until after Wednesday!

If you are driving through a parking lot where the car has yet have been with let's say, dips and speed bumps will the SAS auto raise/lower based on terrain itself or do you have to initially manually raise/lower so that it does this automatically on subsequent visits?

Owners love both air and spring suspensions. I have springs and don't want or need air. Air can be a maintenance expense after 5-6 years, and can bleed down lowering the car while parked. The later can damage the front if you park over a curb.

Air can raise the car and keep it more level when loaded.

Good luck with your decision.

GSP

As many here relate it's all about whether or not you may need it. I did not get it and have no regrets.
Right now I am driving a loaner with the air so I have been playing around with it a bit :)
Personally i'm glad I saved the money but I don't have driveways that need it.
I'd be sick if I ordered one day before they announced something of material interest with respect to the MS
Oh, tight spot! Yea, I think I would have to delay the order as well. It's a little different then waiting until 2017 because of AP 2.0 or whatever.

If you really value comfort, you need to search this forum as there are many folks who feel the ride quality on air is really harsh. I am one of them. I feel every single little imperfection in the road, something I've never experienced in any car I've owned or been in. I've owned cars with really firm suspensions, too. Now, I'm hopeful that my car suspension is just wrong or broken, and have my second service appointment to have them try to address it. BUT, it really seems like perhaps the install or QA of the suspension is lacking. So I'd suggest an extended test drive on air on the roads you drive most and make sure you are happy, but also realize that the suspension you test drive may feel completely different than the suspension that actually gets installed on your car.

I like my coils. They really help prevent bottoming out on unexpectedly high speed bumps and driveways as the standard height is higher than the air. On my driveway an air car will scrape if not raised but a coil car will pass no problem. Air, of course, is better for speed bumps that you have the time to raise the car for.
Love the tight feeling of the coils. Not as tight as my Viper was but easier on rough roads.

I'm quite happy with the coils. There is a very slight reverb going over bumps with them, but other than that I didn't think the difference between the coils and air was that significant. Save your money and get the coils.

Reactions: DIL