Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 questions about SR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr X

Jan 18, 2013
1 AU
1. Is the cruise control Adaptive cruise control or just standard cruise control?

2. How much money does it cost to upgrade an SR to an SR+?

SR+ use to be $37,000. With all these price raises, I'm curious if the price of upgrading has also raised

Thanks

The off menu standard range is now $35,400 and includes standard cruise control. Autopilot (traffic aware cruise control and autosteer) is $3000 more.

The standard range plus is now $39,900 and includes Autopilot.

Basically, if you definitely want autopilot, go for the Standard Range Plus as it's only $1,500 more than Standard Range plus Autopilot ($35,400 + $3,000 = $38,400), but you get 20 miles more range, quicker acceleration, and LED foglights (and also immersive sound but not really important).

Reactions: P85_DA and Mr X
Best bang for the buck is still SR with AP at $38.4K if you want AP.

Why not SR+ for $1500 more? $1500 gets you 20 more miles. $75/mile.

For comparison...

It costs $10,000 to go from 285 miles to 370 miles on Model S. $117/mile.
It costs $10,000 to go from 250 miles to 325 miles on Model X. $133/mile.

So arguably, the best bang of the buck is Model 3 SR with AP to SR+.

Note: Going from SR with AP -> LR RWD is only $71/mile so that's actually an even better bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Why not SR+ for $1500 more? $1500 gets you 20 more miles. $75/mile.

For comparison...

It costs $10,000 to go from 285 miles to 370 miles on Model S. $117/mile.
It costs $10,000 to go from 250 miles to 325 miles on Model X. $133/mile.

So arguably, the best bang of the buck is Model 3 SR with AP to SR+.

Note: Going from SR with AP -> LR RWD is only $71/mile so that's actually an even better bang for the buck.
But SR can be charged to 100% daily and be fine and have same range as SR+ at 90%.

The extra 20 miles only comes into play when the supercharger is spaced out just far enough so that SR+ will barely make it and a SR cannot.

Best bang for the buck is not always same as lowest dollar per mile.
$51/mile car at $10000000000 would not be it

I’m still not sure that the SR+ is faster than the SR. The old SR with the cloth seats was quoted as .3 seconds slower than the SR+ but when they abandoned that model and came out with the modified SR, which is now a software locked SR+, they never announced a new 0-60 time. So it may be .3 seconds slower but we have yet to have anyone confirm this, and even the few people who have bought the SR model really are still driving an SR+ that has not been downgraded yet.

But SR can be charged to 100% daily and be fine and have same range as SR+ at 90%.

The extra 20 miles only comes into play when the supercharger is spaced out just far enough so that SR+ will barely make it and a SR cannot.

Best bang for the buck is not always same as lowest dollar per mile.
$51/mile car at $10000000000 would not be it

For road trips, that extra 10% range could very well be your buffer (i.e. arriving at the next station with zero range vs the recommended 10% range). That 10% could also mean driving a little faster or pushing the HVAC more. But I’d agree that if you’re not taking road trips, going with SR saves you $1500 for what is essentially the same car with just the fog lights and immersive sound option disabled.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
What clouds all discussion is the 3SR is still a 3SR+ but with 3SR pricing.

Whether it remains that way, no one can say.

If it was the first and only Tesla in the household, my recommendation and what I would do is to push a little harder and go:

3LR RWD off menu for $45,900 which includes AP.

You dodge all the 3SR/3SR+ nonsense, get the full Model 3 experience, get the maximum range and better performance.

If it was the first and only Tesla in the household, my recommendation and what I would do is to push a little harder and go:

3LR RWD off menu for $45,900 which includes AP.

Agreed. 3LR RWD is what I recommend to friends and family now. 0-60mph in 5 seconds, 325 miles range, full premium package, and autopilot. It's a steal for $45,900.

Agreed. 3LR RWD is what I recommend to friends and family now. 0-60mph in 5 seconds, 325 miles range, full premium package, and autopilot. It's a steal for $45,900.

It really is, when I consider I paid more than 30k more for my performance model in december (including tax, etc). If I was doing it right now, I likely would get the LR RWD model... as long as I had not test driven the performance one (lol).

Reactions: OCR1
There is no published price to upgrade an SR to an SR+ or to downgrade an SR+ to an SR so I would buy the version you really want and not count on Tesla to offer an upgrade/downgrade path.

Tesla said SR's can be upgraded to SR+ since it's simply software locked.

Just wanted to know the price if anyone knows

Tesla said SR's can be upgraded to SR+ since it's simply software locked.

Just wanted to know the price if anyone knows
Where did "tesla say" that they will allow SRs to be updated to SR+ after purchase? Not a blog or a post by someone here, or someone in a store... but someone in an official capacity?

I havent seen that, but it sounds like you have. where was that? If someone wants a SR+ they should buy that. Even if its "just software" right now, I would expect it to cost more than the difference between the cars prices before purchase... especially given the autopilot pricing Q%$!Q$%%@ storm that just happened recently.

If it doesnt cost at least as much as the difference between the cars pre purchase, expect every tesla blog and website to pick up on that immediately and run with stories about how tesla is making the same mistake again regarding to pricing.

So, expect to either never be fully offered, or the total price to be more than the price difference between the two pre purchase. As I mentioned, I would also like to see where tesla "said that they will allow all SRs to be updated to SR+ since its software locked" in any sort of official capacity.

Where did "tesla say" that they will allow SRs to be updated to SR+ after purchase? Not a blog or a post by someone here, or someone in a store... but someone in an official capacity?

I havent seen that, but it sounds like you have. where was that? If someone wants a SR+ they should buy that. Even if its "just software" right now, I would expect it to cost more than the difference between the cars prices before purchase... especially given the autopilot pricing Q%$!Q$%%@ storm that just happened recently.

If it doesnt cost at least as much as the difference between the cars pre purchase, expect every tesla blog and website to pick up on that immediately and run with stories about how tesla is making the same mistake again regarding to pricing.

So, expect to either never be fully offered, or the total price to be more than the price difference between the two pre purchase. As I mentioned, I would also like to see where tesla "said that they will allow all SRs to be updated to SR+ since its software locked" in any sort of official capacity.
If you've been around Tesla long enough, you'll know the upgrade will eventually be offered.

If you've been around Tesla long enough, you'll know the upgrade will eventually be offered.

Thats different than "tesla says they will allow it". I suspect they will, but there is no proof that they will that I have seen... thus If I was buying, I would buy the car I wanted, not try to game the system by buying the cheaper one and expecting to upgrade later for cheaper.

• Helpful
Reactions: MXWing and IdaX