Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S SR reintroduction / would you have waited?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been watching Tesla news and pricing updates closely, and the quiet reintroduction of the M-S standard range today was one of Elon’s best kept secrets.

Question: How many of you who recently took delivery of the LR variant would have waited until September/October for delivery of an essentially identical vehicle for $10k less? In my opinion, a reduction in range (320) and 0-60 acceleration (3.7s) is not that much of a trade off. Given that the battery size is identical to the LR version (also revealed today) it’s inevitable that Tesla will offer a future performance upgrade on the SR to match the LR performance via an OTA software update for a fraction of the price. For many of us, the M-S LR was somewhat of a financial stretch. I’m convinced the new sub $80k pricing structure will certainly boost 4Q sales. Add me to the list, I would have definitely waited for the new SR.

When you lose 20-30% (or more) of range when driving in cold weather, don't normally charge to 100% (another 10-20% range loss), don't drive the car empty (another 15% range loss), and loss of about 5% intial range due to aging after 1 to 2 year, you should just take 175 miles from the "new" range for normal usable winter driving range. 400+ miles range was the minimum I would buy in 2020, and that goal is still a major buying point for me today. I guess you can see, I have always had range anxiety. :)

I would say not worth it. I wouldn't have changed my order. I will be curious to see what it actually runs 0-60. Since the MS LR runs slower than its claimed 0-60 times, it might not be that far off. What I'd really like to know is what is the 60-130 time to see if they just limited it to 60. The SR's 0-60 time will put it about the same as my boosted M3 LR which is pretty decent on a daily basis.

If it was about the same, I might have been tempted. OTOH I bought in when it was under 80k for the LR. So maybe if it had been 69k I might have been very tempted.

I would not have changed my order. I do plan on more than the occasional road trip, and I appreciate the extra range when needed. (I can charge to 100% prior to leaving home, or generally to 90+% while eating dinner on a road trip.)

The extra performance is an added bonus.
i
As it is, the end of 2Q deals meant that a new (inventory) the MS LR was $7500 off sticker, plus 3 years free supercharging...so not all that different than a new MS Standard range today.

It will be interesting to see if the "standard range" model S ever gets inventory discounts. Since they are software locked we may never see that happen.

I would not have changed my order. I do plan on more than the occasional road trip, and I appreciate the extra range when needed. (I can charge to 100% prior to leaving home, or generally to 90+% while eating dinner on a road trip.)

The extra performance is an added bonus.
i
As it is, the end of 2Q deals meant that a new (inventory) the MS LR was $7500 off sticker, plus 3 years free supercharging...so not all that different than a new MS Standard range today.

It will be interesting to see if the "standard range" model S ever gets inventory discounts. Since they are software locked we may never see that happen.

Sign me up for a demo S SR with $7000 off at the end of the quarter lol. I’ve seen demo S LRs discounted $11K before.

I don’t worry about range much with a Tesla since Superchargers are everywhere. I do wish it was lighter rather than supposed software locked battery. Heavy EVs aren’t as fun as lighter ones.

Reactions: SilverGS and Joey D