Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20” Pilot Sport 4S tires: all-season??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcG

Oct 29, 2014
San Francisco
So I finally did, just ordered a P3D+ after doing an extensive test drive. A bit too much body roll for my taste, especially coming from a P85D+, but nothing a good set of coilovers won’t be able to fix.

When I asked about the tires that are shipped by default from factory with the 20” wheels, I was told by 2 different sales folks AND 3 service techs that the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are all-season tires..

All the research I’ve done seems to indicate that these tires are summer only. So now I’m really confused, which one is it??

So I finally did, just ordered a P3D+ after doing an extensive test drive. A bit too much body roll for my taste, especially coming from a P85D+, but nothing a good set of coilovers won’t be able to fix.

When I asked about the tires that are shipped by default from factory with the 20” wheels, I was told by 2 different sales folks AND 3 service techs that the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are all-season tires..

All the research I’ve done seems to indicate that these tires are summer only. So now I’m really confused, which one is it??
They are summer tires. The P3D should have less body roll than the S?

Four seasons if the temp never drops below ~45*

Truck Tires, Car Tires and more – Michelin Tires

• The Maximum Combined Performance.- 1st in dry lap time.[1] - 1st in dry braking.[2] - 1st in wet lap time.[3] - 1st in wet braking.[4]
    Fall in love with your car's untapped potential with the best max performance tire. Our Dynamic Response Technology continuously adapts to the road for ultra-precise steering, outstanding cornering power and remarkably good treadlife for a summer tire. And our revolutionary Multi-Compound Construction delivers unmatched levels of dry and wet grip exactly where you need it.

Four seasons if the temp never drops below ~45*

Truck Tires, Car Tires and more – Michelin Tires

• The Maximum Combined Performance.- 1st in dry lap time.[1] - 1st in dry braking.[2] - 1st in wet lap time.[3] - 1st in wet braking.[4]
    Fall in love with your car's untapped potential with the best max performance tire. Our Dynamic Response Technology continuously adapts to the road for ultra-precise steering, outstanding cornering power and remarkably good treadlife for a summer tire. And our revolutionary Multi-Compound Construction delivers unmatched levels of dry and wet grip exactly where you need it.

Thank you very much! I made the sales guy write a note in my account about the fact that he "confirmed" they were all-seasons, we'll see what others say..

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. P3D has more body roll than my P85D+ (it had the "plus" suspension that originally came out with the P85+).
I still find that surprising since I have felt significantly more body roll on every S I have driven (didn't do any actual testing though), but I haven't driven an 85+. I see a lowering kit, or other suspension mod in your future :)
The 18" and 19's come with A/S tires but the performance comes with summer tires.

This says more about the sorry state of the Tesla's overwhelmed support and tech staff - as you've heard from everyone and their mother, this is a summer performance tire, and to boot, the best one yet made. Enjoy them above 45F for four seasons! Another good reason to move to FL!

Michelin PS4S also suck in snow btw, not that anyone is/should be surprised and driving in snow will void the warranty and potentially damage the rubber compound.

I really want to take my car to the snow, but living in the bay area I also don't want to change out the PS4S because they're great for our climate.

Michelin PS4S also suck in snow btw, not that anyone is/should be surprised and driving in snow will void the warranty and potentially damage the rubber compound.

I really want to take my car to the snow, but living in the bay area I also don't want to change out the PS4S because they're great for our climate.

Two sets of wheels/tires might be a good solution, I used to do that with my Audi.

Any thoughts on what is the smallest wheel size the calipers on the 3 performance can fit?

Two sets of wheels/tires might be a good solution, I used to do that with my Audi.

Any thoughts on what is the smallest wheel size the calipers on the 3 performance can fit?

There are 18" rims available from T-Sportline which fit the P3D. That's what I'll be using for winters when we finally get the 3 over here (it may be winter by then).

18s but only a subset of 18in wheels that will fit on the non performance brakes will also clear the performance brakes. So you have to check with the manufacturer to confirm fitment on the larger braked cars

Good question, I have not taken delivery of mine yet but will look into it. Stiffer bushings could help, too.

Unless you plan on tracking the car, and driving very little on public roads, replacing bushings is a mistake - you gain a great deal of harshness from plastic bushings, in exchange for very modest benefits. Bushings and various other suspension components were tuned for 35 series tires - with one clear goal being to moderate their otherwise brutal ride. Putting in a track bushing on a car you plan to EVER drive on the street would likely prove to be a serious mistake,

Not to mention the increase in road noise you'd almost certainly get as a result. Increasing the sway bar thickness may also have some undesirable consequences when it comes to street driving.