Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20 mph zones in side streets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I am a new M3 driver, so excuse me if this has already been asked. I drive around South London and the neighbouring Boroughs have different 20 or 30 mph speed limits applied to their respective roads. When I am on AutoPilot and most of the time the car will identify the speed limits correctly, but it applies a 20 mph limit on some 30mph roads. I've tried to glance at the screen when this happens, but it would appear that the car is reading the speed limit from surrounding streets - even those where the signs have slipped or been deliberately turned. It would be good if the car could override these intermittent and unnecessary limits.

Tesla speed limit recognition is crap, not to put too fine a point on it. Hopefully the forthcoming intelligent speed assist regulations will force Tesla to pay more attention to this at some point over the coming few years, but don't hold your breath.

On a more optimistic note, Elon promised that improvements (unspecified) to the European software is slated for March. Fingers crossed there may be some improvements there - but I wouldn't bank on it....

My pet bugbear - if you're brave enough to try to use TACC in town - is the school zone signs that say 20mph limit when lights flashing. Of course, the Tesla just reads the 20mph sign and doesn't understand that it's not applicable because the lights aren't flashing....

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Maybe read the manual about when to use AutoPilot

1643276561179.png

Yea, you really shouldn't be using autopilot in environments like that. I have a large 70mph dual carriageway that has a road off it with a 30 sign, the car picks this up and sets the speed from 70 to 30, this would be bad for someone using autopilot, but again it's not a controlled access highway so it's not designed to recognise side roads. This is the same reason why auto pilot won't move over at all if there's a parked car partly encroaching a lane on an A road. It's not designed to operate in these conditions.
People are always going to use it in places it's not designed unless Tesla block it (which they never will do) so you just need to be aware that you are making it do something it really shouldn't and expect it to get a lot wrong if you do enable it outside of a motorway.

I've noticed this recently driving round the north circular where all the turn offs are 30 and the main road is 40 or 50.

My safety conscious brain says "They are speed limits, not speed goals, you are allowed to drive 30 in a 50 limit" however we'll have to wait and see how the AI does when FSD comes along. My personal AI (aka my brain) is struggling with the vague or confusing sign posts and I've been driving for 30 years.

I've been driving for 50 years, and rely solely on the Mk1 eyeball, coupled to manual control of the available pedals and steering wheel. This, I find works flawlessly. If you don't want to drive, get a cab or public transport. Over-reliance on computerised AI and systems will lead to trouble in the long run. My opinion only, of course!

I've been driving for 50 years, and rely solely on the Mk1 eyeball, coupled to manual control of the available pedals and steering wheel. This, I find works flawlessly. If you don't want to drive, get a cab or public transport. Over-reliance on computerised AI and systems will lead to trouble in the long run. My opinion only, of course!
On a Tesla forum dissing AI, "Them there's fightin' words" (Credit: Yosemite Sam) :). I like the automation. What I dislike is the lack of predictability, I think this is where autonomous driving is going to fail. In poker you don't play your cards, you play the person opposite you. When driving you don't worry about your car, you worry about where the other one is. If AI changes that natural predictability we'll be in trouble.

This is nothing unique to tesla's - I have a honda civic that has traffic sign recognition - I turn right at a roundabout on my journey home, 40 mph limit to the roundabout, 40 mph limit on the road I'm turning onto (but no sign on entering the road _because the speed limit hasn't changed_ however my car always picks up the 30 mph sign for the road straight on and thinks the limit is now 30. This sort of thing was precisely what I thought the problem would be when I first heard about the requirement for all new cars to have their speed limited based on road signs....

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
That's fine when the other drivers aren't too busy, failing to multi task with their phones while driving.
AI will get better, unlike the bad drivers on the road.

Unfortunately the manufacturing process control and quality assurance on that system you are using are both very poor, leading to huge variations in performance for what is on paper essentially the same hardware. There are also big differences in the firmware and software between individual installations particularly noticible between the basic XX model and the upgraded XY model with spatial awareness plus but prone to failures in impulse and speed control.
You may be lucky and have a particularly good system but unfortunately the average performance across all models is often woeful particularly when the central processor is multitasking. Be warned though. However good you think your system is even it will be subject to age related degradation over time and will eventually be uneconomic to maintain and will have to be decommissioned. At 50 years of continuous use there is probably already significant degradation you are not even aware of since the onboard self analysis and diagnostics do not have good calibration standards and often report that a system is performing well if not the best, better than any other systems in fact. When the reality might be markedly different.
Just sayin.

This is nothing unique to tesla's - I have a honda civic that has traffic sign recognition - I turn right at a roundabout on my journey home, 40 mph limit to the roundabout, 40 mph limit on the road I'm turning onto (but no sign on entering the road _because the speed limit hasn't changed_ however my car always picks up the 30 mph sign for the road straight on and thinks the limit is now 30. This sort of thing was precisely what I thought the problem would be when I first heard about the requirement for all new cars to have their speed limited based on road signs....
They all have issues. The Ford version always seemed to think 30 was actually 130, and then switched to thinking you were in a KM/H area so the "breaching the speed limit ding-dong" stopped working, with no way of manually setting it back again.