Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20 Vs 21 Taillights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys. I know people have brought up the nuances of the taillights from the ‘20 to ‘21 MY.

but I watched a video someone posted here and he said the only main difference is that the turn signals on the 21 are amber, and the housing is a little more smoked.

am I missing the obvious here in saying that the ‘20 actual brake lights are that small red concentrated LED like the M3 whereas the ‘21 actual brake light is the silhouette portion now instead of where the turn signal would be ?

Amber for me!

I never saw the point in red turn signals - then again, I'm from the UK, where they're all Amber

Why red? Red should be for stopping, so if you're blinking a red, it means you're stopping but not fully, so if anything would be turning the opposite direction!

Reactions: 52 16 57 39
And I want the amber turn signals. It’s silly - but I want them. June 2020 MYP w red turn signals 🤦
I never really paid attention to this until I pulled the trigger on buying a Tesla… and I feel like most people don’t notice either. But what did the old model do when you signal? Turn from solid into a turn signal? Some cars do this and I don’t like it. They did seem brighter though. The ‘21 model doesn’t seem as “in your face”

Somewhat related but I saw an old thread from January ish where people said the newer delivery MY would have these new headlights as well as double pane glass and a heated wheel.

I’m still waiting on my delivery date. Ordered in may and they’re saying end of September.
Anyone confirm the wheel, headlights etc.

Somewhat related but I saw an old thread from January ish where people said the newer delivery MY would have these new headlights as well as double pane glass and a heated wheel.

I’m still waiting on my delivery date. Ordered in may and they’re saying end of September.
@Tes-londa this thread is about taillights, which changed part way through the 2020 model year. Your vehicle will definitely have the heated steering wheel and double-pane glass on the front windows but unless you ordered a Model Y Performance, then you are very unlikely to get the updated headlights, since to date they have only shipped on the Performance Model Ys.

Reactions: Tes-londa
Amber for me!

I never saw the point in red turn signals - then again, I'm from the UK, where they're all Amber

Why red? Red should be for stopping, so if you're blinking a red, it means you're stopping but not fully, so if anything would be turning the opposite direction!
i would bet you the red turn signal lights may have been from the long ago days of GM / Ford keeping things simple with just 3 wires.

Reactions: jpfive
@Tes-londa this thread is about taillights, which changed part way through the 2020 model year. Your vehicle will definitely have the heated steering wheel and double-pane glass on the front windows but unless you ordered a Model Y Performance, then you are very unlikely to get the updated headlights, since to date they have only shipped on the Performance Model Ys.
I know I’m sorry lol I went off on a tangent. Ugh. I really wanted the MYP but the wife said absolutely not haha 😂

• Funny
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Push acceleration boost, spend half the money you saved on her and save the other half = happy wife and money in the bank. Who could ask for more?
I haven’t gotten the car yet. Is that a feature on the car? I think motortrend or something reported this long range still does 0-60 in about 4 seconds flat (advertised 4.8) versus the performance 3.5. If it’s really only a half second quicker, I’m happy I saved 10 grand

i have the old taillights but im jealous of those that have the new projector led headlights

I haven’t gotten the car yet. Is that a feature on the car? I think motortrend or something reported this long range still does 0-60 in about 4 seconds flat (advertised 4.8) versus the performance 3.5. If it’s really only a half second quicker, I’m happy I saved 10 grand
The MotorTrend test result for 0 to 60 for the Long Range Model Y has not been explained. Most owners of LRMY who use Dragy GPS or similar report 4.8 seconds without the Acceleration Boost (AB). You can purchase the AB for $2000 US after purchase, after delivery of the LRMY. With the AB reported 0 to 60 times are right around 4 seconds (+/- 0.2 seconds.) The Performance Model Y is at least 0.5 seconds quicker to 60.

The MotorTrend test result for 0 to 60 for the Long Range Model Y has not been explained. Most owners of LRMY who use Dragy GPS or similar report 4.8 seconds without the Acceleration Boost (AB). You can purchase the AB for $2000 US after purchase, after delivery of the LRMY. With the AB reported 0 to 60 times are right around 4 seconds (+/- 0.2 seconds.) The Performance Model Y is at least 0.5 seconds quicker to 60.
Didn’t even know that was a thing. Have you done this personally ? Do you notice a difference?

Didn’t even know that was a thing. Have you done this personally ? Do you notice a difference?
The acceleration boost upgrade? No, I have not purchased this upgrade. If you have a Long Range Model Y and want to try the upgrade you can purchase and if you decide you don't want it you can return it within 48 hours of purchase for a full refund. (You can buy the upgrade again at a later time but then you cannot return it a second time for a refund.)