Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2009 waiting list

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In tangentially related news: I received confirmation from Tesla this morning that I will need to come up with the balance still owed them by December.
Ack! Not sure where that money is going to come from at the moment. Perhaps I should hold a bake sale.

That's actually good news ! It means your car is getting closer to production !
If you can't come up with the remaining balance, let me know and I'll buy your production slot ! :smile:

That's actually good news ! It means your car is getting closer to production !

That was my take on it too. Slightly surprised after so many public delays that it will actually happen. Word to the unaware, however: Balance is due at lock-in, not at delivery.

If you can't come up with the remaining balance, let me know and I'll buy your production slot ! :smile:

Know anyone who needs a spare kidney? (slightly used...)

Graham,

Yeah, that fact was made clear to me when they asked for the second installment. I had to take a deep breath but I guess if they are going to make it to your specs (colors, options...) it makes sense. Have you locked in all your options yet? I am under the impression that these two events take place that same time.

Tim

The December date is where I would have to lock in my options. I was an impatient buyer and have paid for half(ish) the car already. Until this morning I was unclear if I need to pay for the rest of the car at lock in time, or upon delivery 3 months later.

Apparently the balance is due at lock in time -- which is no longer "oh, sometime in a year or so..." it is now in a little more than 3 months... Eek!

Did you guys recently get an email from Tesla about your reservation number ?
I got one today:
"Your 2009 Tesla Roadster production sequence number is 778. This is not your VIN (to be assigned at production), but represents your place in line relative to the rest of the 2009 model year reservation slots."
It sounds like I moved up about 120 slots (I was number 896 in late June). Unless it means that I'm 778th out of 850 (600 US + 250 EU), I hope not.

Laurent,

Yes, I got one of those emails today as well. We seem to be within the same "block"of customers.

I was first given a production number of 793 earlier this year. My email today, from Zak, stated my production number as 645. That is quite a jump as well. I don't really care what the number is, of course, as long as the estimated delivery date doesn't start to slip (April-ish).

When first given 793 I was told it would probably change when the list got compressed to eliminate (reposition?) those that were not willing to go beyond the initial 5k deposit. I was also told I would probably have a lock in date at the end of this year. Haven't gotten that notice yet....:smile:

Tim M

I have not received such a letter. It must have only gone to 2009 folks. I was pretty far down in the 2008 list -- I wonder if my number has gone up as well.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. What I am taking as encouraging news is that my initial calculations suggesed that I wouldn't see my 2008 car until April of 2009, or later. But if people in the 600's on the 2009 list are being quoted a roadster delivery in an "April-ish" time frame, mine should be getting here a couple of months earlier than April, no?

Got same email. I am #720. So I called Zak to confirm some things. Here is what I got:
First 600 are 2008s and plan another 600 for 2009. I thus am 120th of 2009s and if all stays on track should be started March/April with delivery in May/June.

Of course this could change if problems occur. They have not shipped via cargo ship yet and this could slow deliveries.

How do they ship the cars today, if not by cargo ship ?

I have heard conflicting info about this. At one point someone said "Martin's car was in transit by ship so it would be over a month of delay", but then more recently people have been saying that all Roadster gliders so far have been sent by air, and only now are they looking to using boats.

Previous mention of boat "shipment":

From Tesla Motors - hear
"... The resulting so-called “glider” is then shipped to California (about 5-6 weeks by boat, I’m told)..."

From Tesla Birth Watch 44: Tesla Talks Transmission Troubles to TTAC | The Truth About Cars
"...They calculate some logical number for a batch size and then throw them on a boat for 6 weeks...."

How do they ship the cars today, if not by cargo ship ?

At the Menlo Park Store unveiling, I talked to the TM employee (his name escapes me) who is in charge of the logistics of getting the Roadster gliders from UK to CA. At that time, he said that all of the Founders Series and some portion of the Signature 100's would be transported by air freight. After that, shipping by boat would be the transportation method used. He was still doing the analysis as to whether it would be better to ship to the US East Coast and then use rail to move them to CA, or to just keep them on the ship and take them through the Panama Canal. As I recall, given the increasing congestion of rail traffic due to the shift away from long-haul trucking, it was looking like going through the Canal was going to win out.

The costs to air freight the gilders must be huge. (I would guess $10K+ per). By boat is probably more like $2K.

All the jet fuel to fly the pieces around the globe cuts into the "green" benefits as well. The Roadster has already been responsible for a lot of fuel burning before the owner even drives the first mile.

I was in the Menlo Park store yesterday to ask a few questions, in part to confirm my estimate of when I could expect delivery (#187). We all agreed on late December.

Doreen told me that "all" (my interpretation) the cars built this year will be airshipped. They want to get a lot of cars on the road quickly.