Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2010 Roadster 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ChadS

Last tank of gas: March 2009
Jul 16, 2009
Redmond, WA
7416_147316140052_8040671_n.jpg

2010 Tesla Roadster 2.0, VIN #690
Original owner
Bright yellow (two-layer metallic with slight orange cast) with black interior
Yellow hard top, black soft top, extra soft top
Upgrades: Solar windshield, protective film, HID headlights, speakers, floor mats, hitch receiver for bike racks
No accidents or damage ever, no smoking, no pets, no liens, etc.
Clear, unencumbered title in hand.

Appearance: great! Not perfect; if you look closely for signs of age you will find them. But I am regularly mistaken for a dealer showing off a brand new car.

Mechanical condition: perfect. Last Tesla service in April. Everything works great.

Reliability history: it's been really good. I did have one battery sensor lead fail in April 2014 and got a new pack (see below).

Battery condition: awesome. 95% of new; charges to 232 out of the original 244. I got a near-new condition pack (CAC 156) at around 42k when I had a sensor lead fail (common problem for the first ~220 2.0's)

PEM: replaced with a brand new 2.5 PEM in 2011 (the original didn't quite meet the J1772 spec that came out AFTER the car, but Tesla gave me a brand new PEM for free!)

Tires are Continental DWS with lots of tread - a great year-round tire for the PNW. New WA tabs good for over a year.

Miles: 57k
Price: $51k

I am still wildly in love with this car, but mobility issues in the family make it no longer practical.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveD and ohmman
Ask, and ye shall receive.

I have since moved the license plate lower, inside the grill (on the left so it does not block airflow):
7416_147316135052_3139465_n.jpg

7416_147316150052_301000_n.jpg

In April 2010 I drove it from Seattle to San Diego. There were no charging stations North of San Francisco at the time. That trip is documented HERE.

15702_384521475052_74414_n.jpg

In 2011 my wife and I drove from Seattle to Yosemite. The trunk was nearly full just with charging equipment, so I added a little cargo pod. If you want it, I could probably include it with the car. I have since modified the bar so it sits snug against the rear of the car. I measured roughly 3% range hit with it sticking out; presumably it is less closer to the car. It is ugly, but: it does not block any of the driver's view. It does not block the taillights from the rear. It is lockable. There is a place to attach the license plate.

339166_10150360366450053_777983794_o.jpg

One from the garage tonight to show it's still got that shine:

IMG_20160809_220611 (1).jpg

One of the cockpit:

IMG_20160809_220743.jpg

And finally, one showing tire condition:

IMG_20160809_221723.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160809_220743.jpg
    IMG_20160809_220743.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Sad to see you go, but pleased to see you're replacing it with another Tesla. Being the nerd that I am, I know how rare Brilliant Yellow Roadsters are and am sorely tempted. Currently in the process of buying my next Roadster or else I'd get this NOW. :D

Hi Martin,

Yes, the car is still for sale; I will post a note here if I trade it in or if I sell it.

I recall some discussion of moving Roadsters overseas in the past; I'd start by searching this forum if I were you. The issues that come to mind in moving cars between markets are:

1. warranty. Tesla doesn't honor warranty when a car is moved between markets. However, that's a moot point in this case as the car is out of warranty
2. shipping. Not really difficult; just a matter of finding a reputable company (probably somebody on these forums has used one they like) and paying for it. I am sure somebody will ship from Seattle, and I'm willing to take the car to them there, see it loaded, send pictures, etc.
3. validation. It's harder for a remote buyer to verify a car's condition. If you want to fly here I could pick you up at the airport, or if you know somebody local I could meet with them. You can also ask your local Tesla service center if they will share service records with you. I have heard some say they will and some say they won't.
4. payment. With local car sales we usually meet in person and exchange money and the car at the same time. To ship a car overseas, I would want full payment in advance. That leaves you exposed if I don't ship the car, though, so you'd have to decide if you are willing to take that risk.
5. paperwork. This is the piece I know the least about and that could mess you up if not done properly. About 10 years ago I looked at importing a car and found a couple of companies that would do the required modifications (turn signals, etc) and handle all the paperwork. Of course the companies I found won't help you, so you'd have to find your own companies on your side. If it's just paperwork and turn signals, it should be quite reasonable. If airbags and bumpers need to be changed, it could get unreasonable. This is where searching the forums might help you by seeing how others have done it.

I am lowering the price on my Roadster to $51k to see if I can make it worth selling privately rather than trading it in.

I got a CarMax quote yesterday; Tesla will honor that if I trade it in, plus my state will give me a ~10% sales tax credit. Tesla hasn't given me a delivery date for my new Model S yet, but the car is supposedly here so I am guessing it will be in about a week.

Tesla answers:

Thank you for your mail.

Tesla Roadsters were never intended to be used in the EU so there isn’t any official Tesla EU homologation for these cars.
That said, Tesla Roadsters have been seen driving around the EU with a variety of EU license plates so please contact a car importer for Germany as they will be able to answer most of your questions regarding the importing and homologation processes applicable in your country.

Regarding technical aspects, please be aware that these cars have no applicable warranty in the EU nor any valid Roadside Assistance provided by Tesla.
They are equipped with a Type 1 charging port so you will need specific cables and adapters in order to charge the car in the EU and unfortunately, Tesla doesn’t sell these cables/adapters anymore.

Unfortunately, Tesla Motors, Inc. is unable to assist you in homologating the vehicle and/or certifying it for use in Germany.

I've been looking at ur CL ad all week! :)

Unfortunately I don't think it's the right car for us at the moment. :-(

I wouldn't want to waste your time, but it's a long weekend and we're just staying in town (Sammamish). If ur not busy I can swing by to take a look and chat a bit about the car.

PM me if you have the time. You never know...

Reactions: ChadS
Chad, your car looks to be in great condition. I think that brilliant yellow is the most stunning color for the Roadster and it garners the most attention. If I didn't already have a yellow one, I'd definitely be interested in yours. Good luck with the sale!

Reactions: ChadS