Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2010 Tesla Roadster Sport First Drive - Inside Line

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the article:
In the end, the total distance promised from a complete charge in the optimally efficient Range mode drops from 244 miles in the base model Tesla Roadster to 235 miles in the 2010 Tesla Roadster Sport.

Has anyone seen any other places (especially from more authoritative sources) where someone has indicated any numbers on range/efficiency differences between the Sport and base model?

Cathy Saxton (Tom's wife) did some tracking during our last group drive. We had 8 Tesla Roadsters make the trip to the wind farm. We all met at a coffee shop, gave Cathy our ideal miles, wh/mi, etc. There were all three versions of the Tesla Roadster represented in the group of eight. First model year, second model year and my Tesla Sport.

At the various checkpoints (highway rest step, Wind farm for recharging, return highway rest stop) we all gave updated numbers to Cathy.

The final report from Cathy showed practically identical efficiency for all three models of the Tesla Roadster. The variations were minor. I think total driving for the day was over 200 miles for everyone. They are all so close that the differences could be explained by driving style. My sport was not the worst in efficiency for the group of eight. It was not the best either. I think it was right in the middle. But the top and bottom were not far apart. Remarkably consistent.

Anyone know more about this more sound insulating in the Sport? Can I do that myself with a trip to Home depot?

I don't think the sound insulating on the Sport is different from the base model. I'm not sure if there is a significant, or any, difference in the sound insulating between 2008 and 2010 models. Some articles seem to confuse 2010 model changes as being associated with the Sport model instead of the model year (examples: VDS being moved and the clear carbon fiber exterior accents package).

What does that mean? Higher voltage for longer?

I suppose if you wanted to get more "kWh per amp," you would just allow little more time.

Actually, I think it means the author doesn't know what a kWh, or an ampere, is. He goes on to say "using just a smidge more energy from the battery for the quicker go-pedal reactions." Like many people, he is confusing the concepts of power and energy.

The author is not an expert driver either, in that he thinks it takes a lot of muscle to parallel park with manual steering. The trick is to get the car moving at a slow creep, then the steering becomes much easier.

GSP