Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Production Date 12/12 Model S P85 50xxx Miles $40,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So battery could crap out tomorrow. Driveunit the next day. Car worth $10k for parts.

Seems to me a huge risk to have an early battery and driveunit with no warranty.

Right . . . .

How many batteries have we seen "crap out"? Same for drive unit. Both have shown to be REMARKABLY resilient. Probably why Tesla warranties them for 8 years, unlimited miles.

Oh, and a the B-battery pack is a great pack. I have two, they work great. Really the original A revision is all you want to avoid.

Even with that said, you could sell the rest of the car for far more than 10k in parts, just look on eBay for what Tesla parts go for.

Right . . . .

How many batteries have we seen "crap out"? Same for drive unit. Both have shown to be REMARKABLY resilient. Probably why Tesla warranties them for 8 years, unlimited miles.

Oh, and a the B-battery pack is a great pack. I have two, they work great. Really the original A revision is all you want to avoid.

Even with that said, you could sell the rest of the car for far more than 10k in parts, just look on eBay for what Tesla parts go for.

We haven't seen a lot fail but at 40k the spread between this car and a warranty car is too small (in my opinion) to make the math work. If there is a drivetrain issue (and we all know the milling noise is a common problem) not only is it not covered under warranty but Tesla won't even let you pay to have the work done. You'd have to find a third party. Likewise with the battery, though admittedly a B pack is not very likely to fail. Still though, it's not unheard of. Failures of either of these components effectively leaves you with a parts car whereas simply buying a slightly more expensive non-salvage car will net you a warranty for both.

There are more and more 70 - 80k mile P85's popping up for low $40,000's to pull the trigger on a car like this at this price. The risk is just too great. That said, those that say the car is only worth the sum of it's parts are likewise wrong. I think this is a solid buy at $35,000. I sold a 95% fixed, salvage S85 exactly a year ago for $35,000 and that wasn't the highest offer. Salvage or not, the moment you dip below the average sales price range, you'll get a ton of people knocking at your door with cash. This car will sell no problem.

We haven't seen a lot fail but at 40k the spread between this car and a warranty car is too small (in my opinion) to make the math work. If there is a drivetrain issue (and we all know the milling noise is a common problem) not only is it not covered under warranty but Tesla won't even let you pay to have the work done. You'd have to find a third party. Likewise with the battery, though admittedly a B pack is not very likely to fail. Still though, it's not unheard of. Failures of either of these components effectively leaves you with a parts car whereas simply buying a slightly more expensive non-salvage car will net you a warranty for both.

There are more and more 70 - 80k mile P85's popping up for low $40,000's to pull the trigger on a car like this at this price. The risk is just too great. That said, those that say the car is only worth the sum of it's parts are likewise wrong. I think this is a solid buy at $35,000. I sold a 95% fixed, salvage S85 exactly a year ago for $35,000 and that wasn't the highest offer. Salvage or not, the moment you dip below the average sales price range, you'll get a ton of people knocking at your door with cash. This car will sell no problem.

I concur. I am looking for one just like this however I have a line on one for 42k with 80k miles (clean title). Hard for me to bite at this one with no warranty and Tesla won't even touch it.

I does look sharp though! GLWS and I hope Tesla (or some 3rd party) gets salvage and rebuilt titles figured out!

Vultures1GIF.gif

• Funny
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture