Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013/2014 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all the great replies!

A lot to think over, one of the big things I would be giving up is adaptive cruise control (autopilot) for one of these older cars. When I got my Volvo it was the main reason for buying.

I can live without it for awhile...

For the curious here is a link to the P60:

2014 Tesla Model S 60 - cars & trucks - by dealer - vehicle...
I dont see where it says P 60 but for that price I would be suspicious thats its a scam or previously repaired but un reported. Car fax or any other bs clean title reporting service have almost zero value. If it was me I would take it to a reputable body shop that can spot repair work that was done.

I don't agree that this ad is clearly a scam. It very well could be, but the price seems right to me for an original 60 that only has 4k miles left on the battery and motor warranty, especially in CA where used Tesla prices are generally lower. If Tesla doesn't release reasonable pricing for battery replacements, early model year car values will keep dropping fast.

I don't agree that this ad is clearly a scam. It very well could be, but the price seems right to me for an original 60 that only has 4k miles left on the battery and motor warranty, especially in CA where used Tesla prices are generally lower. If Tesla doesn't release reasonable pricing for battery replacements, early model year car values will keep dropping fast.

honestly its not even the price. it has a really high mileage so while this is on the LOW END of the price, $20-25k sounds correct. i've looked at alot of craigslist and when you post something and not put any descriptions, no VIN number, not even a PHONE number for gods sake.. 9/10 it is a scam.

ask him specific details that only a tesla owners would know. i bet you he doesn't know shiiiiiiit about a tesla.

honestly its not even the price. it has a really high mileage so while this is on the LOW END of the price, $20-25k sounds correct. i've looked at alot of craigslist and when you post something and not put any descriptions, no VIN number, not even a PHONE number for gods sake.. 9/10 it is a scam.

ask him specific details that only a tesla owners would know. i bet you he doesn't know shiiiiiiit about a tesla.

I've found that the best way to weed out the scams is to email the seller to ask them lots of specific questions that only an owner would know. Realize though that not everyone has the same desire to learn every little detail about their Tesla that we may have but there are still questions they would know the answer to that a scammer wouldn't who just found some pics and a description online.

I've sold several on CL and I never, never NEVER list my phone number. I won't even give it to you if you reach out to me until I've met you in person. Far too many scams of people phishing for phone numbers so I refuse to do it. I also won't give anyone my address until I've me them in person. If I sell something that's large that I don't want to load I meet them someplace public and then have them follow me and even that is only done in absolutely unavoidable situations. I just don't trust strangers on the internet in general & it's a policy that has served me well to this point. I tend to not care about a phone number when I'm shopping as I prefer to text/email anyway so I have an account of everything that's said. This has helped me a lot in the past if I need to refer back to something I forgot or as proof of what was sold to me or what was sold to someone else. I know others that do the same so I question your 9/10 estimate. I'm not saying that a scam can't be sans phone number but I've seen a lot of obvious scams that also include a phone number.

Bottom line: buying/selling is wrought with peril so it behooves the buyer to do their due diligence and know what they're buying before parting with any of their hard-earned greenbacks.

• Disagree
Reactions: cookie99

I'm seriously looking now, I'm pretty wary of these used car dealers on CL and will probably pay a little more to a private seller. I looked up one of the dealers I could make out in the background of the photos of the cheap S60 and the reviews were horrible.

Doing a little research here on the forum, the battery and drive motor life/warranty questions are the obvious ones and the MCU replacement/upgrade seems a pretty specific question. What else should I be asking sellers about?

I have a 2013 P85+ and I get about 221 miles at 90%. There have been a few issues, but the car has been the best car I've ever owned. I think mid $20s for a Model S is a good deal, provided it's not beat to hell. Any car is going to have problems, but likely most of the common issues have been taken care of by now. I would go private seller or from Tesla. Through Tesla might push it beyond your budget, but you would be getting some additional warranty with the purchase.

I've found that the best way to weed out the scams is to email the seller to ask them lots of specific questions that only an owner would know. Realize though that not everyone has the same desire to learn every little detail about their Tesla that we may have but there are still questions they would know the answer to that a scammer wouldn't who just found some pics and a description online.

I've sold several on CL and I never, never NEVER list my phone number. I won't even give it to you if you reach out to me until I've met you in person. Far too many scams of people phishing for phone numbers so I refuse to do it. I also won't give anyone my address until I've me them in person. If I sell something that's large that I don't want to load I meet them someplace public and then have them follow me and even that is only done in absolutely unavoidable situations. I just don't trust strangers on the internet in general & it's a policy that has served me well to this point. I tend to not care about a phone number when I'm shopping as I prefer to text/email anyway so I have an account of everything that's said. This has helped me a lot in the past if I need to refer back to something I forgot or as proof of what was sold to me or what was sold to someone else. I know others that do the same so I question your 9/10 estimate. I'm not saying that a scam can't be sans phone number but I've seen a lot of obvious scams that also include a phone number.

Bottom line: buying/selling is wrought with peril so it behooves the buyer to do their due diligence and know what they're buying before parting with any of their hard-earned greenbacks.

sorry but i'd have to disagree with you. the way you use craigslist is not the norm, and i'm sure people have weeded you out as a scammer simply because you refuse to give your number. i understand you're most likely ok with that, but most transactions through craigslist are now done through text/phone as most scammers try the email approach. i stand by my 9/10 estimate.

sorry but i'd have to disagree with you. the way you use craigslist is not the norm, and i'm sure people have weeded you out as a scammer simply because you refuse to give your number. i understand you're most likely ok with that, but most transactions through craigslist are now done through text/phone as most scammers try the email approach. i stand by my 9/10 estimate.
Your entitled to your opinion. After all, 99% of statistics are made up.

Reactions: cookie99
There was a P60 listed in SD area recently. Most likely a scam since a P60 would indeed be ultra rare and to my knowledge never produced, however could also be a frankintesla, and I would imagine the battery would not come near the performance of a P85 or greater.

There was a P60 listed in SD area recently. Most likely a scam since a P60 would indeed be ultra rare and to my knowledge never produced, however could also be a frankintesla, and I would imagine the battery would not come near the performance of a P85 or greater.
I’ve 2015 Tesla model S 70D and I want to update MCU , please let me know how can I get your help. Thanks

I agree with HustleSimmons. Check the battery sticker behind the front passenger wheel. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right, and you'll see it.
I doubt the seller will let you, but if you drop the rear bottom trim, you can look at the motor sticker also.
I just bought a 2013, so I was in the same boat as you.
Turns out I have the original battery (rev B), but a newer motor (rev Q)
It is a scary financial leap, but I just researched that the original "drive it off the lot" price was $100,000, and I paid $26,000, and it has 100,000 miles on it.
There's a lot of good and bad about Tesla in these forums, but I won't even consider an ICE car anymore, and Tesla has realistic range (same as my ICE car with a full tank of gas) and free Supercharging, located 3 miles from my house.

Reactions: MightyMike
Being the owner of a 2014 p85 I would skip on getting a early model. My car is constantly in the shop (thank god for extended warranty) for many things. Door handles, motor, a/c, sunroof (many times), creaks rattles, MCU leaking you name it. I am sitting at 114k kms and at 90% I get 378km so battery has held up well. Also keep in mind since its a rwd model s you'd be looking at, it will chew through tires and if you get the 21s be ready for consistent pricey tire changes. On top of that since the car is old you don't get autopilot, dual motor, fancy MCU tricks and so on. In short I would skip on a cheap S and go with a bolt or something if an EV is a priority. The only thing a cheap S has got going for it is, looks and a pretty long range electric car.

Reactions: MightyMike