Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 defrost actuator not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fixed my defrost actuator. Earlier this year I was using the defrost vents to cool my dashcam. A few months later I noticed my defrost vents stopped blowing air. I fiddled with various vent settings and did some reboots but nothing worked. I figured it was either stuck or the actuator died. Recently I found a post and video of someone hearing a ticking or chattering in the dash and he was able to remove the actuator by removing the glovebox to gain access. I followed his instructions and added grease to the inside of the actuator as he did and plugged it back into the harness and clicked various vent settings and the gear moved as commanded. I then reinstalled the actuator without the screws and my defroster was blowing again. I then installed the screws and we are back in business just in time for cold weather.

PS I think a new actuator is 29.00 from Tesla.

Congrats on diagnosing and fixing your problem.

On my wife's 2014 MS, the defrost actuator works but no longer seems to completely close, as it should when the air flow is set for face-level only. Here in humid south Florida, the result is that her AC causes constant condensation on the outside of the windshield.

My 2015 MS, with the same setting, has no air flow from the defroster vents and thus no windshield condensation.

It might be a different problem, but after seeing your post, I suspect her defrost actuator may also be sticking. Any links to the instructions you found and/or any suggestions you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Congrats on diagnosing and fixing your problem.

On my wife's 2014 MS, the defrost actuator works but no longer seems to completely close, as it should when the air flow is set for face-level only. Here in humid south Florida, the result is that her AC causes constant condensation on the outside of the windshield.

My 2015 MS, with the same setting, has no air flow from the defroster vents and thus no windshield condensation.

It might be a different problem, but after seeing your post, I suspect her defrost actuator may also be sticking. Any links to the instructions you found and/or any suggestions you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
I have the same issue where my 2015 MS defroster doesn't seem to be closing all the way so I would be interested as well on instructions for taking a look at the actuator.