Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S w/ "85D" Badging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 Model S w/ "85D" badging on the trunk. I know the 85 is my KW battery size, the "D" I've read is for dual motors. From what I've read, Tesla didn't introduce dual motors until the 2014 model year.

Anybody have any idea's what the "D" could be for in my car.

Thanks,
Dennis

I have a 2013 Model S w/ "85D" badging on the trunk. I know the 85 is my KW battery size, the "D" I've read is for dual motors. From what I've read, Tesla didn't introduce dual motors until the 2014 model year.

Thanks,
Dennis
Is your car new or used? I'd examine it for rear-end damage. If I had to guess the rear had to be repainted (possibly due to damage) and the repair shop just ordered those badges since most non-Tesla people have zero clue about the different models and trim levels and that those letters/numbers actually mean something. This becomes painfully apparent if you've ever shopped for used Teslas being sold on eBay or other used car sites but dealers as they just randomly assign a set of letters/numbers to their car even though it may not come anywhere near what they claim it is.

I purchased the car last May, Carfax showed no crash history and anything that might indicate such. I'll hit the "T" tonight when I get home and check it out.
Just because Carfax has no record of an accident/repair doesn't mean it didn't happen. In fact, MOST accident/repairs aren't reported.

It's been a credit to the marketing team of Carfax over the years that so many people think it's the bible these days. All a Carfax (or similar) report does is tells you where to look closer to assure the damage that was reported was repaired properly. When shopping for used cars one should always assume there was previous damage and look for it everywhere.

This idea that if a Carfax report has nothing the car is flawless and doesn't need inspection is spreading and unsettling.

Reactions: aerodyne
I realize Carfax and the like are flawed, but what else do you have? I did just do a internet search using the vin and found an add for it for sale on 12/17/2018, darn near exactly one year ago and the trunk picture clearly shows only the "85" , no "D". So between last Dec. and May the "D" was added, I'll email the guy I bought it from and see what he says.

Thanks,
Dennis

The “D” stands for “Douche”

That’s what I would call the person who added it to try and bump up the sales price and/or avoided disclosing a repair.

Let us know what you find out.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd and aerodyne