Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 MS 85 upgrade to MCU2 then HV battery problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife wasn't to the level of "sell the car", but was kind of frustrated and superstitious at how our 2014 Model S would have spontaneous reboots of the center screen really frequently whenever she drove alone. But it almost never did that when I drove. And the odd part is that I drove the car much much more than she did, so statistically, I should have been seeing it more.

She said she had narrowed it down to when she was driving, had the seat heater on, and was listening to Pink on a streaming station.

My wife wasn't to the level of "sell the car", but was kind of frustrated and superstitious at how our 2014 Model S would have spontaneous reboots of the center screen really frequently whenever she drove alone. But it almost never did that when I drove. And the odd part is that I drove the car much much more than she did, so statistically, I should have been seeing it more.

She said she had narrowed it down to when she was driving, had the seat heater on, and was listening to Pink on a streaming station.
Lmao! Guess Pink wasn’t a good look for the car and shut that down real quick

I did find out from the service center that they capped the 90kwh battery to an 85 like my old one. Apparently I have to pay to open up to full 90. 🙄 not sure how much.

Not long ago, an European owner with 2015 P85D posted in another thread that his 1014116-00-C (replaced under warranty) was locked at 248 rated miles, apparently matched close to his previous capacity. He approached Tesla for possible unlocking. He was told it would cost him about $700 plus taxes to unlock. He paid about $900 total to get his pack unlocked to 270 rated miles (still locked, but better than what he had before).

Reactions: Espi2451
Not long ago, an European owner with 2015 P85D posted in another thread that his 1014116-00-C (replaced under warranty) was locked at 248 rated miles, apparently matched close to his previous capacity. He approached Tesla for possible unlocking. He was told it would cost him about $700 plus taxes to unlock. He paid about $900 total to get his pack unlocked to 270 rated miles (still locked, but better than what he had before).
That’s interesting. When charged to 100% I get 297 miles

Reactions: Droschke
Very nice. We've still got the original 85 battery pack on our 11/13 built S and we rarely Supercharge beyond 70% SOC because it's not nearly as fast as it once was. Our time is better spent driving towards the next furthest SuC site at a lower arrival SOC.

My buddy relocated from Long Beach, Ca to Washington DC and drove his Model 3 across the country. I was amazed to see ABRP estimated a total of 27 Supercharging stops for a total charging time of 7 hours; the time estimate is roughly the same for folks with 100kWh packs as well. Sadly for me, ABRP estimated our S would need 29 Supercharging stops at a total charging time of 16 hours! Fortunately we rarely drive our S to a destination further than 400 miles so it's not so bad, but your new "90" pack should do great for quicker Supercharging sessions...should be nearly twice as fast as mine.

edit - I should note our rated range is now at 233; it was at 256 before the 2019 software update.