Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 S P85, 41,000?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm looking for a little advice as to what the TMC community might say as to a possible purchase I may make in the near future.
There's a typical car dealer with a 2013 Model S P85 in their used lot. Currently has 51,500 miles,
Tech package, Air suspension, carbon fiber spoiler, 3G network, no pano roof.
Supposedly a older couple came in last month and traded it in for a truck, so the dealer offered them what they thought was a fair price. I drove it today, and it did respond really well. Several issues noted were an adapter cable missing for the charger, and condensation in the tail lights. Car fax was clean, but they didn't have any service records from Tesla. After speaking with a floor manager, he insisted the car was clean and in good condition, to which I explained there's information a service center would provide which would be necessary to make the sale. After he agreed, we found it best to have the car set up to go to a service center for a PPI. So long as everything checks out, we came to a near agreement of 41k on the car.
My question is, beside my own personal drive and inspection of the car, and Tesla's PPI, should there be more to worry about? I believe the car wouldn't have an extended warranty now that it's over 50K/been in a dealers hands, so I couldn't purchase or transfer one. Am I correct that the 8 year unlimited mile power train transfers with the vehicle? Thanks for any help you guys can provide! I've been reading over dozens of old posts.

You likely have no bumper to bumper, but if the original owners extended it you get that too, Tesla will know. You'll still get the remainder of the 8 year infinite mile drivetrain warranty, so your only concerns should be things like door handles, air suspension, screen. Those are the stuff that happens more often that should be looked at before diving in. Assuming all is OK, enjoy your new permanent grin.

Reactions: Retrospected
I recently purchased a 2013 P85. Basically the same as you’ve described, except a pano roof and 35K miles. I had the car for one week and got a warning light that said acceleration was reduced and I should call Tesla. Turned out to be bad contactors which were covered under the 8 year battery warranty. Since I live in Michigan, which is controlled by the dealership mafia, there are no SCs anywhere near me. Within two days, Tesla brought a loaner car to my work location and took my car to Cleveland (5 hours away). Three pages of updates, repairs and inspections and a “zero” balance due. VERY impressed with the Tesla customer service. Congratulations on your purchase!

I recently purchased a 2013 P85. Basically the same as you’ve described, except a pano roof and 35K miles. I had the car for one week and got a warning light that said acceleration was reduced and I should call Tesla. Turned out to be bad contactors which were covered under the 8 year battery warranty. Since I live in Michigan, which is controlled by the dealership mafia, there are no SCs anywhere near me. Within two days, Tesla brought a loaner car to my work location and took my car to Cleveland (5 hours away). Three pages of updates, repairs and inspections and a “zero” balance due. VERY impressed with the Tesla customer service. Congratulations on your purchase!
Wow, that's awesome that you were covered under the warranty, and thanks for sharing your experience. It really was a beauty to drive today, but there's so many good and bad stories of non tesla sales, that I'm trying to take it slow.

Update: Tesla agreed to bring the vehicle in for a PPI (which the dealer wants me to pay out of pocket-350$). The dealer also had no luck in obtaining the service records from Tesla, as it's a breech of privacy from the previous owner. If they're unable to reach the previous owner, how would I ever be able to see service records of what's been done? The PPI will tell me if everything in the moment looks great, but it won't tell me what's been done, correct? Id like to know if the motors been replaced, door handles, anything else, as they seem like common issues for 2012-13.

Motor may have been replaced; earlier units were swapped out for being noisy and often without the owner asking about it. Ask Tesla during the PPI to check for original motor and battery, and provide you with revision numbers. You can see the battery yourself but won't know if that's original - I assume it is. Be sure to get a 100% range estimate, the 85 generally doesn't lose much, mine is only down 6 miles and I've been somewhat heavy on the wh/m so battery status is more about whether the previous owner charged properly than anything else, and both motot and battery still have infinite mile warranties until the car reaches 8 years old so you have lots of time to sort out issues with them as well. The only things you won't be warranty covered for are the bumber to bumper stuff so that's what you want to have them check most in the PPI. Main screen / computer is expensive..

Reactions: Retrospected
Update: Tesla agreed to bring the vehicle in for a PPI (which the dealer wants me to pay out of pocket-350$). The dealer also had no luck in obtaining the service records from Tesla, as it's a breech of privacy from the previous owner. If they're unable to reach the previous owner, how would I ever be able to see service records of what's been done? The PPI will tell me if everything in the moment looks great, but it won't tell me what's been done, correct? Id like to know if the motors been replaced, door handles, anything else, as they seem like common issues for 2012-13.

Ask Tesla to provide you with a list of warranty work done on the car, I believe this is more of a trigger than just asking for service records (which can contain CC info, addresses, etc).

Feasibly, everything was done in warranty as it is... still in warranty LOL

Ask Tesla to provide you with a list of warranty work done on the car, I believe this is more of a trigger than just asking for service records (which can contain CC info, addresses, etc).

The powertrain warranty is potentially the largest cost saving warranty going for it. Like Chaserr said, I know the screen computer can be expensive if anything is wrong with it. I guess I hope they will show me what was covered under warranty. I'm not sure how much I'm able to talk with the person who does the inspection, but I'll definitely try to squeeze any information they can provide out of them.

Everyone has some great advice on the actual vehicle and I'd like to throw in my two cents about paying for the PPI. I would agree to pay for it out of pocket if the amount paid went towards the purchase of the car. Best case scenario is that you pay the $350 and everything is fine and you buy the car. Worst case is you pay the $350 and for some reason don't buy the car. Now the dealership knows more information about the car for the next buyer but at your expense.

Also, I bought a 2013 Model S with similar specs from Tesla and took delivery within the last two weeks...it's a FUN car to drive and I hope things turn out well for you!

There's so few components to the vehicle, I questioned if a PPI was necessary. I'm sure Tesla will go over it with a fine tooth comb, but I was pretty thorough, and I only noticed condensation in part of the tail lights.

A 2013 will most likely have the motor replaced, as well as door handles. Those are like... I'd bet money on them. Perhaps ask for the part number of the motor (revision number), and let us know. MCU is your next biggest offender... probably hasnt been replaced yet, but will be due based on several points of possible failure.