Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Tesla Model S P85+ with 36k Miles for 66,000 (Brown)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S P85+ in Littleton Colorado
  • 36,000 Miles
  • Includes Rear Facing Seats
  • Sound Studio Package
  • Tech Package
  • Obeche Wood Matte Décor
  • Grey Performance Interior
  • All Glass Panoramic Roof
  • Performance Plus Package
  • Carbon Fiber Spoiler
  • Brown Metallic Paint (Now Discontinued by Tesla)
FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_3024.JPG

Could you please explain to me what you get in the performance plus model you would not get in the performance model? And how does that compare to the 85D that was rolled out in 2014?

The Model S P85+ Performance Plus edition was announced in the Design Studio in April 2013. This $6,500 option provided staggered 21” performance Turbine wheels (in silver or grey) and tires (Michelin Pilot Sport PS2’s 20 mm wider in the rear). Suspension dynamics were improved for performance and comfort via upgraded dampers, bushings and stabilizer bars. Early P85+ specimens shipped with black brake calipers and often did not show the P85+ model designation in the 17" display. (per Andrewket, SharkDiver76 & HankLloydRight). Later the Brembo disc brake calipers on the P85+ are painted red with white TESLA lettering, (on both the front & rear calipers) (the red disc brake calipers were not available on any other model at the time)

Keep in mind the Performance Plus model is still a rear-wheel drive car while the more recent "D" designation indicates dual motors and thus all wheel drive.

Yeah, I understand the D is the dual motor AWD system. And I've also been able to find through research that the p85+ had the "performance plus" package. But I'm just not clear on what the real world difference would be if I'm considering the two cars. For some reason, there seem to be a fair number of P85+ available through online used car markets, whereas I'm having a harder time finding the 85D (I'm also looking for 3rd row seats, which limits the choices considerably). It seems like with the 85D (which came out after the P85+) I have the option to upgrade to the latest tech package, such as autopilot. But given that there are more P85+ available, and given that some are pretty reasonably priced, I'm wondering whether I need to hold out for an 85D. I live in a location with winter weather and have to drive over a mountain pass on my commute every day, so I'm really wondering about the driving performance of the two -- specifically, which would be better in slippery conditions such as rain, snow, ice -- or if they're more or less equivalent.

Again, I'm looking for a description in the handling difference in rain, snow, ice for an 85D vs. a P85+. I'm less interested in the P85D (unless I get a good deal), because it's more expensive and has a shorter range, and I don't really need the extra speed and acceleration it offers.

The Model S P85+ Performance Plus edition was announced in the Design Studio in April 2013. This $6,500 option provided staggered 21” performance Turbine wheels
The window sticker in this thread shows “21” Grey Performance Plus Wheels with high” as a separate $3,500 option. Was this required when getting the $6,500 Performance Plus package (essentially making the full package $10K) or an upgrade to the 21” wheels you mentioned?

If I may weigh in... I was going through the same dilemma... P85 vs. P85+ vs. 85D.... In the end I am now the proud owner of a 2014 P85+ (1 week) the performance of the 3 cars is nearly identical from 0 to 60. The AWD D is a better car from the standpoint of technology alone and the autopilot feature and the AWD car is a little better when it comes to traction. the differences between the + and the "normal" P comes down to handling and there is a marked difference if you drove them back to back.. The 21's on the + give a little stiffer ride but that is actually not that noticeable with the air suspension. The + is more fun for sure but keep in mind staggered tires means you cannot rotate tires and depending on your driving style you can go through tires much faster in the +. These tires are a good deal more expensive then the 19's and the straight P85 allows you to rotate front to back (with 19's or 21's)and get a little more wear.

Bottom line for me was that I wanted an 85D but could not justify the extra 10K-15K for the AP option. The RWD car can get a little squirrely on full acceleration but easy to get used to. For me I knew I would not use the AP all that much so it was not worth the extra cash...Then i got such a great deal on my P85+ that I could not pass it up. So how important is AP to you is the real question, One guy had a great sales line when he said "this car is so much fun to drive why would you want to take your hands off the wheel". I would recommend what I did... buy a P85 or a + and ask the original owner to add on the extended warranty prior to the sale and add to the sales price... For just under 72K i have a pristine P85+ with 14K miles and 6 more years of warranty (piece of mind). which is still about 8-12K less than I could find a similarly equipped 85D that may have 2.5 to 3 years of warranty.

Seems like you could do the same as I did with this car and come out very happy with a far more reasonable payment. Plus the Brown color is pretty rare and amazingly beautiful in person. I would have loved to get brown and have a car that stands out as unique.

Hope that helps

Thanks Mark. It does sound like you wrestled with the same question I am currently facing. I can't quite understand if there's a big difference between the two models other than the AP, and it sounds like you concluded there is not. I've been leaning towards the same conclusion, and then trying to assess whether AP is worth the extra price (and again, leaning towards your conclusion that it's probably not). You do mention, however, that the 85D has slightly better traction, and I guess I'm still wanting to explore that a bit. I'm probably atypical for Tesla owners in that I live in the country, with a steep, gravel driveway, and travel over a mountain pass in wet, and sometimes even icy or snowy conditions pretty regularly. It's Virginia, not the northeast or Canada, so I'm not talking about slippery conditions for 6 - 8 months per year -- but we do get our share of weather, and I drive a lot, so safety is important. Given all that, I'd love to hear just a little bit more about the handling and performance in bad conditions -- I care about that more than I do about slight differences in the 0 - 60 acceleration.

Thanks for your post, Mark. it's the most helpful information I've gotten since I started looking into this.

i am afraid I am not much help in that area since I reside in Las Vegas... however I recently heard that the car based on it's design and battery placement has a very low center of gravity (17") which is equal to a corvette and lower than any other sedan made which is one of the reasons it has 5 star safety ratings across the board and that the car has a very stable feel. I also believe that based on your description of road conditions that I would recommend that you get air suspension car.

that being said I would suggest that you post the traction question in the "driving dynamics" section of this site. You will likely get the replies you are looking for from fellow north easterners. but I would move fast it seems that this particular car is a good deal and read facing seats are not that common to find

Reactions: xlpro
i am afraid I am not much help in that area since I reside in Las Vegas... however I recently heard that the car based on it's design and battery placement has a very low center of gravity (17") which is equal to a corvette and lower than any other sedan made which is one of the reasons it has 5 star safety ratings across the board and that the car has a very stable feel. I also believe that based on your description of road conditions that I would recommend that you get air suspension car.

that being said I would suggest that you post the traction question in the "driving dynamics" section of this site. You will likely get the replies you are looking for from fellow north easterners. but I would move fast it seems that this particular car is a good deal and read facing seats are not that common to find

I'll do that. Thanks.

Yeah, I understand the D is the dual motor AWD system. And I've also been able to find through research that the p85+ had the "performance plus" package. But I'm just not clear on what the real world difference would be if I'm considering the two cars. For some reason, there seem to be a fair number of P85+ available through online used car markets, whereas I'm having a harder time finding the 85D (I'm also looking for 3rd row seats, which limits the choices considerably). It seems like with the 85D (which came out after the P85+) I have the option to upgrade to the latest tech package, such as autopilot. But given that there are more P85+ available, and given that some are pretty reasonably priced, I'm wondering whether I need to hold out for an 85D. I live in a location with winter weather and have to drive over a mountain pass on my commute every day, so I'm really wondering about the driving performance of the two -- specifically, which would be better in slippery conditions such as rain, snow, ice -- or if they're more or less equivalent.
I have a P85 Green 2013 with 3rd row of seats that Im selling for $60k. its got 41,000 miles and in great shape. I can send pics if you are interested.

• Disagree
Reactions: golfnut