Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 MS60 Rated Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning,

I need your advice please.

We bought a 2014 MS60 with about 76K miles currently.
We have tried to gauge the rated range (not driving distances) by charging to 100% a few times.
All we can get is around 166/167 miles.

We contacted Tesla and they said it's normal.
It is our very first Tesla and, naturally, we don't know much about all of these things.
Is it normal for a MS60 to lose roughly 20% after 76K miles?

Thanks,

It will be very interesting to see how my S holds up on degradation. I bought it new (March 2017 delivery) as a S 60D, then did the software upgrade to a 75 a few months later when they lowered the price. At 100% charge right now (have only done that maybe a couple of times since it became a 75) it maxes out at about 247 miles. Will see how that holds up as I drive a lot - just hit 25k miles in almost 11 months. Currently I charge to about 75% nightly, with a round trip daily commute of around 85 miles.

Reactions: ACA Man
It will be very interesting to see how my S holds up on degradation. I bought it new (March 2017 delivery) as a S 60D, then did the software upgrade to a 75 a few months later when they lowered the price. At 100% charge right now (have only done that maybe a couple of times since it became a 75) it maxes out at about 247 miles. Will see how that holds up as I drive a lot - just hit 25k miles in almost 11 months. Currently I charge to about 75% nightly, with a round trip daily commute of around 85 miles.
The 2014 MS60 has a different battery than your's, so it's not comparable for this thread.

Reactions: JPUConn and ACA Man
You could try the various rebalancing exercises. Take a road trip to some supercharger and roll in with like 10 miles or less. Charge to 100% and wait for it to finish that "calculating time remaining" bit. Could take 1.5 hours or more, so have a long meal or something.
Then drive back home and again aim to get back with under 10 miles, and charge to 100% again.
Some people claim that charging on a 110v outlet helps, but this would take several days so you could only do it if you went on vacation or had a backup car.

See if that helps. I kind of doubt you'll get back up to 200 miles but worth a try.
Also worth asking someone else at Tesla what level of degradation is considered abnormal and would warrant a pack replacement.

You could try the various rebalancing exercises. Take a road trip to some supercharger and roll in with like 10 miles or less. Charge to 100% and wait for it to finish that "calculating time remaining" bit. Could take 1.5 hours or more, so have a long meal or something.
Then drive back home and again aim to get back with under 10 miles, and charge to 100% again.
Some people claim that charging on a 110v outlet helps, but this would take several days so you could only do it if you went on vacation or had a backup car.

See if that helps. I kind of doubt you'll get back up to 200 miles but worth a try.
Also worth asking someone else at Tesla what level of degradation is considered abnormal and would warrant a pack replacement.

Will do.

THANKS!

I have 2 classic 60 model S's.

The 2013 has 68k miles on it, and charges to 178 @ 90%
My 2014 at 55,000 was down to 156 @ 90% before a separate problem with the battery (would not supercharge above 20kw) caused tesla to swap me out with a loaner battery while they re-furbish mine. I dont know if the high degradation on my original battery was related to the supercharge issue, but it is safe to say my 2013 has aged much better.