Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 P85D Error Thoughts? (Part 2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Original thread: 2014 P85D Error Thoughts?

Searching for information and thoughts.

A bit of background:
- Dec 2018 purchased used from Tesla
- February 2022 purchased wk057’s service plan
- June 2022 upgraded to P100DL by wk057’s team (includes a 2 year service plan)
- Dec 2022 Tesla Warranty Expired
- Nov 2023 Battery Voltage Sense Harness Error
- Dec 2023 Recell Full Pack Rebuild
- April 2024 Battery Voltage Sense Harness Error Again (less than 4 months and 2,249 miles later...)

The 100kWh battery pack (manufactured in 2018) upgrade was completed by wk057's team back in June 2022, at the time the most reputable third-party vendor to upgrade Model S batteries. This particular one was in his personal Model X for 1,000 miles without any issues. Bit the bullet and went for it just north of $19K with shipping. This also included his 2 year service plan through June 2024.

Fast forward to Nov 2023 my car was undriveable and the 100kWh battery pack has a Voltage Sense Harness error. Unfortunately, wk057 dissolved at this time and I could not obtain service plan assistance; they simply did not respond to my ticket. So I identified Recell as the most reputable for repair/reliable outcome.

I stretched my wallet and had Recell complete a Full Pack Rebuild for just under $9K ($1K return shipping) in Dec 2023. Their repair is as-is with no warranty and retains the 100kWh range and performance. Prior to the Full Pack Rebuild, they stated that they needed my car in person to assess whether a Full Pack Rebuild was possible. They assessed the battery (externally/internally) and proceeded to repair WITHOUT stopping to caution me on the risks of proceeding (high chance of occurrence) and reinforcing an alternative offering such as their Recell batteries given the similar pricing.

I've driven it 2,249 miles and 4 months later the Voltage Sense Harness Error reappeared again and now I am dead in the water. Recell points their finger at wk057's salvaged pack.

Repair Timeline: Recell started the repair on 12/20 opening the battery pack and completing the Full Pack Rebuild on 12/21, less than 2 days later. I am not familiar with their process nor the proper time to complete a Full Pack Rebuild. As far as I know, the only action for the Full Pack Rebuild was repairing at a minimum the Voltage Sense Harnesses on Modules #7 and #13. Originally, only Module #13, but they discovered Module # 7 upon opening the battery pack.

April 2024: Recell remotely connected to my vehicle to identify Module #9 as needing a Voltage Sense Harness repair. They now quote a repair cost of $1.6K and the return shipping I expect to be roughly $1K again, so the total I am looking at is around $3K. Makes me question, was I severely overcharged for the first repair back in Dec 2023?

Thoughts on this entire chronological of events and what I should do next?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
I have read that outside of Tesla, cell rebuilds and rebalancing last for maybe a year or 2. At least if you bought from Tesla you would have a 4 year 50K miles warranty. wk057 seemed like a good plan, but they must have been under capitalized or perhaps a bunch of claims on their plans. If you aren't going to keep the car for 4 more years, I'd repair it and sell it, or be prepared for this to happen again in a year or two (maybe Recell will warranty this next repair for 2 years). If you can swing it and are tired of the expenses and time, get a Tesla new replacement and keep the car.

Sorry OP, this sucks...
Not sure why 1st time was so expensive
I don't think any of the cells are bad but sense wires seem to be falling off on 100kwh packs...
Have seen few cases already...
Either ur pack had quality issues or maybe moisture... (wk mentioned that moisture weakens sonic bonds...)
If they keep separating then it probably makes sense to do them all (ie re-attach them somehow better)
Problem is u can't solder to brick end plate...

There's triple redundancy but i guess still fails...
1714176093877.png

Please note that we respect the privacy of all our customers and have a long standing policy on not sharing details on any services or communications that we may have provide to them. That policy remains in effect.

We can however share our policy that any/all repairs on 3rd party battery packs, in particular salvage packs that have been totaled or written off, are offered “As-Is”/No Warranty as we have no control over the condition or any previous damage or repair done to another 3rd party’s battery pack. This is offered in both in writing and verbally with the customer prior to shipment to our facility and customers are under no obligation whatsoever to engage us for these services.

Further, as many know from one of our posts on the topic of salvage battery packs, we do not offer or encourage the purchase of salvage battery packs, nor do we pursue repairs of this sort, except when explicitly requested by a customer.

Folks should also know that the few repairs we have provided to date have ranged from $4,995-$7,495 - parts, labor, shipping and taxes included - depending on the size of the pack.

Some owners of course choose to drive their cars home, others choose the convenience of having it shipped back. We can assist with both.👍

Last edited: