Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 85D vs 2018 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, this week I had the pleasure of driving a 2018 75D loaner from my SC while my 2015 85D was in the shop and I thought I'd do a quick review of some of the key differences I noticed for anyone thinking of trading in for a new model. I cannot comment on AP 2.0 since the loaner did not have it.

• My first observation is how uncomfortable I found the premium 4th generation seats. These are the ones with the adjustable headrests. It was the multi-pattern, so I can't comment on the vegan vs real leather debate, but I will say, while the seats provided much more support and bolstering, I just found my back hurting with them. Overall, I find the seats in all Tesla's subpar compared to other luxury brands and this confirmed it. A few weeks back, Tesla gave me a Jaguar and those seats were amazing. I realize this is very subjective since everyone has different back posture and comforts, but I am sure glad I have my 2015 seats back. To prove that, my wife loved these seats and found them much more comfortable and luxurious than my 2015 model. I'd recommend anyone thinking of upgrading seats or cars, test the new seats out with an overnight drive/loaner.
  • The 2018 model feels much more well made. No rattling and the drive was much more quiet and smooth. Noises and rattles come and go and have plagued my 2015, like many others.
  • I like the led lighting on the interior doors of the 2018 model, it's classy looking.
  • For some reason, my 2015 85D felt a little snappier from 0-60 than the 2018 75D. I thought they were comparable speeds, but I noticed a difference.
  • The rear view camera is sharper. I believe this was updated to a 1080p and would explain why I noticed the upgrade.
  • The integrated console in the the 2018 model is awesome. My 2015 didn't have it, but one of the reasons I had a loaner was, I was getting it installed by the SC. I ended up getting it for free from my SC due to another issue (another story). I don't think it's worth $1,300, but it's a huge improvement over the yacht floor or first gen drop in console, as well as any of the aftermarket options.
  • Hated how the frunk was smaller in the 2018 model.
Overall, a mixed bag going to to the 2018 and for me, it wouldn't be worth it to trade in my 2015 until there is a really compelling reason to do so. As of now, AP 2.0 hasn't offered any significant advances over AP 1.0 and that is probably the smoking gun. I was happy to get my 2015 model back with the integrated console of course :)

Out of curiosity, which seats do you have in your 85D? The older ones or the next gen seats?

Thanks for the review, I myself is hesitating in changing my P85+ for either an 85d, 70d or 90d (which is more expensive). All of them would be 2015 or 2016

P.s. I have no rattles in my P85+ (2014).

All, I have the second generation seats. That was before next gen and premium.

Here is a pic of them. Sorry about the angle.

Attachments

• 65A98DBC-7979-44E9-A4E3-3FEA88059DCA.jpeg
    65A98DBC-7979-44E9-A4E3-3FEA88059DCA.jpeg
    593.9 KB · Views: 252
Thanks for that! My daily driver is my 85D with next gen seats. Every time I get in a loaner I find that I love my car more. I'm fortunate enough to be able to squash any rattles that come up over the last 60k miles.
My car is pretty silent except for the motor squeal at 50mph, which all D's have.
I actually hated the yacht floor, so I downgraded to the carpet when I took delivery. My 1st MS had it and I love it. My newer cars have the center console, but I prefer not having it in my daily car.
Over all, I'm with you, until there's a really compelling reason to upgrade, I'm holding off this time.

Reactions: Nick B
Funny, I love the yacht floor, and the absence of a centre console means the car feels more open. Just the spot for my wife's handbag too, and the Gen 1 seats suit me best because they seem wider at shoulder height than the newer seats. I di agree that the newer cars are better put together though

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick B
Funny, I love the yacht floor, and the absence of a centre console means the car feels more open. Just the spot for my wife's handbag too, and the Gen 1 seats suit me best because they seem wider at shoulder height than the newer seats. I di agree that the newer cars are better put together though

Some people love it, but I think it’s the minority which is why Tesla now includes the Integrated Console with new cars. I just needed a good place to put my phone, sunglasses, etc.

Thanks for showing us your interior seat. I also have the same seats and find them very confortable. I get confused between the different options but I know that I have also tried the next gen seats and found them confortable. However, on one occasion where I had a tesla loaner I really disliked the seats (and so did my wife) but I don't know what generation they were!

I don't have AWD nor autopilot in mine and sometimes wished I had. There are a few things like the hill hold and the TACC that I would really like to have.

I've been recently shopping to change my P85+ (I have a 2014 - sorry if I'm repeating myself) and I haven't done so because of the painful and complicated CPO process here in Canada. Most CPO were loaners and the overall state of these cars is subpar: one CPO that I found even appeared to be accidented! Worst is, the prices don't seem to have any relation with the overall usage/quality of the car.

Edit: I personally really love the yacht floor... gives a much more open look to the car!

Thanks for showing us your interior seat. I also have the same seats and find them very confortable. I get confused between the different options but I know that I have also tried the next gen seats and found them confortable. However, on one occasion where I had a tesla loaner I really disliked the seats (and so did my wife) but I don't know what generation they were!

I don't have AWD nor autopilot in mine and sometimes wished I had. There are a few things like the hill hold and the TACC that I would really like to have.

I've been recently shopping to change my P85+ (I have a 2014 - sorry if I'm repeating myself) and I haven't done so because of the painful and complicated CPO process here in Canada. Most CPO were loaners and the overall state of these cars is subpar: one CPO that I found even appeared to be accidented! Worst is, the prices don't seem to have any relation with the overall usage/quality of the car.

Edit: I personally really love the yacht floor... gives a much more open look to the car!

Check out this video, which I found very helpful from @BLKTSLA:

• Love
Reactions: Nick B and BLKTSLA
Excuse me if I am missing the obvious, but how does the method of propulsion used in a car make a difference to whether a console is needed or not?
'The obvious', is that the floor of the car is flat without the need for a transmission tunnel. Now, of course, a transmission tunnel doesn't 'demand' a centre console, but the absence of a transmission tunnel allows for more spacious internal configurations

'The obvious', is that the floor of the car is flat without the need for a transmission tunnel. Now, of course, a transmission tunnel doesn't 'demand' a centre console, but the absence of a transmission tunnel allows for more spacious internal configurations

I understand what you're saying about not having the "tunnel", but having the console there in an ICE was in spite of the tunnel - not because of it. The console is a utility for storage and organization. It also provides a more convenient cup holder than the standard ones between the seats. I'm not sure how that is different in an ICE or EV. And even with the new Tesla consoles, we find the cup holders too low. I'd like to see the console raised myself (or at least the cup holders).

Totally get you on the comfort (or lack of) in current premium seats. I have a Dec 2017 with premium and have always struggled to get comfy. More noticeable after having a pretty basic Skoda Fabia for the past few weeks while mine was in the body shop which was mega comfy. Got it back on Saturday and straight away remembered how uncomfortable the seats are :-( how I wish I had access to older gen seats.

For me the headrest doesn’t go up enough, the sides are too tight (ok I may be a little overweight) and the lumber support makes it worse. The seat base isn’t deep enough and could do with and extension.

I know everyone is different and likes different things but I would definitely swap my seats for something more comfortable

Reactions: mbhforum
I understand what you're saying about not having the "tunnel", but having the console there in an ICE was in spite of the tunnel - not because of it. The console is a utility for storage and organization. It also provides a more convenient cup holder than the standard ones between the seats. I'm not sure how that is different in an ICE or EV. And even with the new Tesla consoles, we find the cup holders too low. I'd like to see the console raised myself (or at least the cup holders).
This is going a little off topic but what is the fascination people have with cup holders in cars?

This is going a little off topic but what is the fascination people have with cup holders in cars?

I guess letting your cup sit in them while you are not actively drinking so that it keeps your cup upright and doesn't fall over. I suppose it beats standing your coffee cup on the flat portion of the console and having it spill in the seat, floor, or worse, in your lap. I don't think you would call that a fascination with cup holders, but only common sense, since we as humans drink liquids, and liquids tend to me a mess if spilled in nice cars such as a Tesla. How do you keep your cup upright?

Oh, and I don't think that is a "fascination" - just another comfort creature in an automobile - comes in very handy at times. I don't think I'm going to spend a whole lot of time worrying about it - but cup holders ARE worth a comment on a message forum. I don't day dream about them or anything (if that's what you meant by fascination).

What's your fascination with other people's fascinations? (since I made one post about cup holders and you called it a fascination, I can only assume that your one post about fascinations means you have a fascination with other people's fascinations)

Last edited:

Well, most living things need water at fairly regular intervals to be healthy/happy/not dead. If you plan to spend more than an hour or so at a stretch in your car, it's generally accepted that one might find it desirable to have a place to securely hold a beverage and prevent the contents from spraying all over your pretty vegan interior and fellow vehicle occupants.

In all seriousness, it's the only thing I truly dislike about the model S interior (that I thought was overblown until I lived with it for a while):

To use either of the "good" front cupholders you have to give up an arm rest. That's fine when it's just me in the car (passenger armrest cupholder is my go-to), but not so much when there's a second person up front.

Then you resort to the center console cupholders which, let's be honest, are at the cusp of useless. On the smallest setting they're too big to hold a can/small water bottle/coffee to-go cup securely, which results in lots of flopping around/splashing if you drive without chill mode. For larger drinks the front console holder works OK, but the back one is completely useless for all things because it's A) too big for small drinks and B) positioned such that a tall drink will inevitably run into the console cover when it's retracted.

Is it a big deal? Not really. I'd still buy another Model S in a heartbeat over basically any other car. But it's also true that every other car I've ever owned has done this simple thing markedly better with the exception of 1 (first gen BMW-made Mini Cooper).

Story was that the president of Mercedes was staunchly against cup holders in their cars. Felt that the drivers should focus on their task of driving and that eating or drinking while driving was dangerous and distracting.Germans took pride in their driving skills.

His resistance to them went away when he was passed by a Gold Wing rider with a cup holder on his handle bar.

Now most all German cars come with cup holders.

The advent of self driving cars will most likely lead to even more comfort items being available to "drivers"

Story was that the president of Mercedes was staunchly against cup holders in their cars. Felt that the drivers should focus on their task of driving and that eating or drinking while driving was dangerous and distracting.Germans took pride in their driving skills.

That story reminds me of the day I heard the CEO of RIM (makers of the Blackberry) say that their phone was a business phone and their users had no use for a camera. Stated that there would never be a camera on a Blackberry. We all know how that foolish decision turned out.

And, yes, some people DO have a fascination with cameras on their phone. My daughter is one of them.