Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 front head light went out, warning, went back on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night the right headlight on my 2015 Model S (80,000 miles) went out and I got a warning that it went out. I went to a Supercharger to learn up on headlight replacement and charge. I found out that I'd have to remove the right front wheel and decided to look at having a Mobile Ranger come out and do the work instead.

I'm going through the Tesla app and it wants pictures. So I turn on the headlights from the console and lo and behold, the right headlight was working again. The warning was still there but then it eventually turned off on the drive home.

Is this headlight 'failure' common? Is there a wire going bad that can get replaced?

Yes, this is the failure mode of the lamp. It will go out, give the warning but will restart when the headlights are turned off and back on again. This cycle will become more frequent as the lamp ages and gets worse. Last I knew, Teslas policy was to replace the whole assembly for 1000 bucks but l recently had an accident that required replacing the headlight assembly and it took four months to get the part so maybe they've altered the policy.

Reactions: EVChris